Sign in to follow this  

Big bore question

I'm not planning on a big bore kit right now, but I'm curious about something. I would imagine the piston for an XLR big bore kit would be heavier than stock, so wouldn't that cause vibration?

The stock piston weighs in around 406g. I don't know about other manufacturers, but JE's pistons range in weight from 399g for the 100mm to 412g for the 101mm, and 406 for the 102mm.

That's why they don't cause problematic vibration; there is little to no weight difference.

I heard that a there is a company out there making a lighter piston than stock and its a 104.6 mm bore:thinking: garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=63385

I heard that a there is a company out there making a lighter piston than stock and its a 104.6 mm bore

Stepho, you're a piston tease. Your posts are like looking at supermodels on the internet... really sexy stuff that no one will ever be able to touch or buy.

Stepho, you're a piston tease. Your posts are like looking at supermodels on the internet... really sexy stuff that no one will ever be able to touch or buy.

Yeah, I may have to start deleting them:lol:

remember the fastest indian made his own pistons with a hole in the ground.

My original JE 102.4mm piston had pockets milled on the underside and filled with resin, I assume to lighten it.

I should have taken the time to run down some total seal rings when I did the top end last winter. :thumbsup:

I heard that a there is a company out there making a lighter piston than stock and its a 104.6 mm bore:thinking:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=63385

...that ain't right!!! :thumbsup:

"someone" with the skillz, equipment and obviously sum extra time shud be put'n together a nice piston kit for his XRL brothers...and maybe a header too! ...where's the luv?!? :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I like that extra time part. If it was my tools, my machines, my programers, my machinist. then id give you all a big bore kit for christmas.

I like that extra time part. If it was my tools, my machines, my programers, my machinist. then id give you all a big bore kit for christmas.

Good 'nuff for me.

...who said "give"??? ...maybe to help defray development costs :thumbsup:

but i understand...u guys do some real interesting stuff :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: