The Demise of our Sport

My fiancee and I were out doing some Christmas shopping today. Despite my mass boredom and temporary insanity caused by a variety of factors from: looking at "cute" things, smelling all kinds of stinky things, difficult decisions on "would she like this one, or this one?," and walking in circles around various clothing racks in search for the perfect gift, something caught my eye- an FMF sweater! At first I was relieved, then I realized, I'm not at the local dealer... I'm at Emporium. This disgusts me personally, I hate seeing some loser whose never even sat on a bike walking around wearing Fox, FMF, etc. clothing. I've seen people who I'm almost certain have never even sat on a bike wearing this stuff, and it makes me sick. The first time I saw a guy wearing a Fox shirt at school, I asked him if he rode dirt bikes. His reply was, "nooooooooooo dude, I just thought this was an awesome shirt man." In my opinion, its too bad that these companies can't limit themselves to providing their products to the people who helped make them who they are, but the call of the almighty dollar controls us all I guess. Anyways, I just wanted to vent that off.

i wear a t-shirt with stevie ray vaughn on it ....i don't play guitar.i have a bro in the navy and i wear an annapolis sweatshirt.i never spent a second in the military... back in the day i had a evil kneivel lunchbox...i never t4ried to jump a bus...you need to lighten up....the more exposure the sport gets the better ... my 4 yr old likes the x games . if he sees travis patrana wearing some kool gear and wants it , i'll get it for him..if i can pick it up at jc pennies...i don't see what the problem is.

lighten up dude...

chris

Welcome to the Wanna-bes...

How many NBA fans wearing the team's replica gear could get out on the court and shoot the hoops... How many guys wearing NASCAR jackets and caps actually know how to drive, let alone own a race team... Lot of kids just buy the label, they see it in the magazines, or on the street, and they just have to have the same... Fox have such big exposure that they are a popular brand... A lot of people identify with a team, or player, driver or whatever, we all have a gang or tribe mentality, from our crocodile brain, and we want to belong... and we can easily show that by wearing the colours... Other just want a hero to look up to, and whatever that hero does, or wears, they will want to do, or wear... That is one of the foundations of sponsorships...

It is all about the brand... and then selling the brand to as many people as possible... The basic principles of the capitalist system we live in... Create a demand, meet that demand, profit from the demand...

No getting away from it... It irks me too, to see some pimply goofball kid walking around in the bad-ass gear, when you know they have no idea of what it originates from...

Without going mainstream, a lot of these companies would not be viable, and could not continue to develop and innovate, and to supply us with variety... imagine if you could only buy Fox gear. Nothing else... It is good to have a choice, and unfortunately, the choice comes at a price...

David

Actually, it's kind of flattering, don't you think? Those people who wear the "corporate" attire are basically saying "I want to be as 'cool' as those guys that use those brands." And if you or I were Fox, NoFear, O'Neal, you'd see the $ signs and take the corporate opportunity to make some dollars that you deserve. Take Fox for example, I remember when those guys were a small warehouse in San Jose, CA in the 70's selling yellow t-shirts with a funny red fox logo. I went to their "store" for a potential dealer friend in Guam and gave me a grand tour of the warehouse and the products they sell. It's taken them almost thirty years to get where they are now. They deserve it, IMO. Those companies are, in a way, an ambassador to our sport. Be proud and give a thumbs up next time to a guy or sweatheart that wears "our" logo!

Ahhh Crap

Now I have to get ride of my Lizzie McGuire Shirts 🙂

Maaaannnnn Life sucks.

It started with Marty Smith bringing his line of gear to the masses, (Dang Capitalist Pigs) Ya know which ones No Fear. Seams they are the rage with all then Fox and so on.

Ya I see it all the time, But ya know what twists my throttle even more, when you see kids walking their parents and the kids and parents have Marylin Manson T's on

I also hate it when I see Big chested woman with T's on, I think that is an outrage and should be banned for wearing T's at all.

In fact lets get a law passed, triple D cup contenders is forbidden to wear shirts in public :D

Man whee am I going with this

The best stickers to put on the wifes cars are the NRA stickers. 6 weeks is my personal record for it staying in place! I have one of the "The west was not won with a registered gun" stickers just waiting for a home. I am going to do it now.

I love seeing regualr folks with MC clothing. Maybe it stops them bitching about noise when I am dressed just like they are!

alright, many of the mx gclothing companies sold to other sports before mx. no fear, oneal. who cares if other people wear them. copanies like DC shoes and etnies are all getting into MX gear in the next few year because there is money to be made in the sport. its gettig big. all extream sports are getting big and it is very good for the sport that the younger generation is getting more and more into moto cross. all my friends that surf and skate board want biks so bad and as they finish school they are all getting them. with more people into the sport there is a less chnace of riding areas being closed.

parx

I think the moto brands going main stream is a definite benefit to our sport, not the demise of it as the original poster suggests.

Anytime you can get the mass public keying in on something "extreme" or underground it seems to bring that sport to everyone's households i.e. network television. Just because some poser buys a fox head shirt, who cares, it is benifiting the companies that are in our sport, that's all that matters.

Wouldn't it be cool to have Super cross and Motocross on CBS on saturdays and sunday?? It could happen, but only if main stream America gets interested in the sport, think about it.

It's a good thing as long as it doesn't get sold out too far. I read one reason McGrath left for Thor was No Fear's aversion to mass market logo wear.

In the beginning Fox made most of their money by selling Fox logo shirts and sweatshirts.

I have a Giants cap... don't play baseball.

I think SX (and MX) has the chance to be the next smaller NASCAR. More sponsors, more money for pros, more bikes being sold, and hopefully more tracks to ride on. That would be the hard thing, but skateboard parks a popping up all over.

I agree with many of you that it is a good thing that our sport is getting more and more exposure, we all know it needs it. Like many have said, though, it just irks me to see some pimple-faced computer geek wearing a Fox shirt when he has no idea who "Fox" is. Maybe "demise" was not the word to use, but I couldn't think of any other way to put it. I think what the sport needs is positive exposure by people who support or at least know something about the industry. If some kid walked down to the local Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, or Suzuki dealer to get a Fox shirt, at least he'd get some kind of exposure to the rest of the industry. I used to wear a Mariners hat- I wasn't a baseball player, but I liked to watch the Mariners. Now i have a brand-spanking new Yamaha factory racing hat- I don't race, but I sure love to watch Ferry (if I can ever catch a race). I don't know, maybe this will be the way to get our sport the exposure it deserves, and maybe my first post was made in bad taste- now I kind of see where some of you guys are coming from.

Kevxr wrote: " I read one reason McGrath left for Thor was No Fear's aversion to mass market logo wear."

I wouldn't take that too seriously considering No Fear has been mass marketed for about 10 years now. I used to buy "No Fear Gear" at J.C. Penny's when I was in high school. It was only recently that they got into motocross. So McGrath would have to have had his head in the sand to not know No Fear was mainstream stuff.