Vapor Destruction, New Acewell

The Vapor is a great computer, but after 3, one still in great shape, I thought I’d try something different for my X after seeing the Acewell. An exploded view of the last one, BTW, be careful when filling gas, don’t splash any on the screen.

Pic05019.jpgPic05001.jpg

The Acewell caught my eye for 2 main reasons, even though I already would’ve had the magnetic pickup in place for a Vapor, the Acewell’s pickup screws right into the stock speedo cable mount. Saves a good .5-1 hr on the install.

Pic05028.jpg

By far the reason I wanted to try it was, If it’s good enough for Honda to offer it as OEM on Aussie versions, then it had to be good enough for me.

Pic05007.jpgPic05011.jpg

Next I wanted to try a few indicator LED’s and a keyed kill switch.

Pic05012.jpgPic05018.jpg

Top LED is Power, yellow LED is High beam.

Pic05029.jpgPic05030.jpg

The big black boxes mounted on the bottom are solenoids for the lights, I'll save that for another post

Awesome work Paul. It looks great. Very nice write up. The Acewells are sweet. Heck i cant wait to get a Vapor. I gotta fill that hole. I guess when i get it i had better be careful. Again Very nice write up.

The Vapor is a great computer, but after 3, one still in great shape, I thought I’d try something different for my X after seeing the Acewell. An exploded view of the last one, BTW, be careful when filling gas, don’t splash any on the screen.

Pic05019.jpgPic05001.jpg

The Acewell caught my eye for 2 main reasons, even though I already would’ve had the magnetic pickup in place for a Vapor, the Acewell’s pickup screws right into the stock speedo cable mount. Saves a good .5-1 hr on the install.

Pic05028.jpg

By far the reason I wanted to try it was, If it’s good enough for Honda to offer it as OEM on Aussie versions, then it had to be good enough for me.

Pic05007.jpgPic05011.jpg

Pic05012.jpgPic05018.jpg

Pic05029.jpgPic05030.jpg

The big black boxes mounted on the bottom are solenoids for the lights, I'll save that for another post

So what does something like that cost?

Sorry, Old Man, it's not for sale.

The cost is measured in the constant pecking, "what are you drawing now", "what are you doing out there", "are you working on that bike again", and she wonders why I can't hear her.

Just something I wanted for my bike and really I want to find out how reliable some of the tron parts will be after bouncing around for a while.

Very nice. I like the size of the screen....

Pic05019.jpgPic05001.jpg

Pic05028.jpg

Pic05007.jpgPic05011.jpg

Pic05012.jpgPic05018.jpg

Pic05029.jpgPic05030.jpg

Hey Paul, is that the 3250

It looks like it sticks out front a little bit.Does it interfere with mounting the stock headlight? it looks very nice.You did a very clean job on the install.

Hey Skoot, I got the 3945x, $150 it comes with the dash board that I wasn't going to use but wanted to pull the numbers off. Thinking of a billet protector for that at some point. I was going to rewire most of it anyway, so I didn't need the oem connectors.

The 3245x is $175 but comes with all oem connectors, my understanding is that it will plug right into your harness and the speedo pickup plugs right in.

That all makes sense if it's OEM for the Aussy models

The only messy part is still the temp sensor.

I'd be interested to know how much Honda charges for it down under.

Skoot, if you're thinking about one of these instead of a Vapor let me know.

Bubba, I drew up the whole assembly to see exactly that before I started cutting, can't show you that yet, it has some unfinished ideas, but it looks like this.

prosolutioncr09.jpg

Pic05043.jpg

I just got rid of my OEM Acewell for a Vapor, the speedo drive on the front wheel stripped the nylon gear, is a common problem.

I as well as a fellow rider had the same thing happen to our trail tech endurance computers, mine stopped working all together.

How did you get the speedometer calibrated when using MPH instead of km/hr. I used the mm numbers and they were really off, the circumference measured out at 83.5 inches so I used 0835 for the values and it seems close but I'm not sure. Any advice on how you did it would be good.

I would like to check out your setup sometime, just noticed you're in Niwot, I drive through Niwot everyday coming home from work.

I'm on my third Vapage...:worthy:

How did you get the speedometer calibrated when using MPH instead of km/hr. I used the mm numbers and they were really off, the circumference measured out at 83.5 inches so I used 0835 for the values and it seems close but I'm not sure. Any advice on how you did it would be good.

I would like to check out your setup sometime, just noticed you're in Niwot, I drive through Niwot everyday coming home from work.

I went out around the subdivision and using the odometer in the car found a course of exactally 1 mile. Then I kept adjusting the value until the odometer on the Acewell read the same 1 mile. I ended up using 0720 with stock tires. I'm also using Paul's handguards and computer mount and like them very much. I'm in Greeley if you need some help.

Thanks Rod. I wonder why 0720 works? It doesn't even come close to the circumference of the tire (my circumference measured out at 83.5 inches with the stock tire on my 06 450x)..... That computer mount of Pauls is slick, I live in Longmont and work in Gun Barrel, pass by Niwot everyday on my street bike.

Thanks Rod. I wonder why 0720 works? It doesn't even come close to the circumference of the tire (my circumference measured out at 83.5 inches with the stock tire on my 06 450x)..... That computer mount of Pauls is slick, I live in Longmont and work in Gun Barrel, pass by Niwot everyday on my street bike.

Yes, it struck me as odd too. I tried to input the "proper" mathematics and got an indicated 75 mph in front of the house on a 25 mph street. That got me looking for plan B.