Sign in to follow this  

How far in is your MCCT adjusted?

Just installed my MCCT and I think it's in really far, indicating I need a new timing chain. I have nothing to compare it to though so I was hoping someone could post a pic of theirs. Any would help. I have a bad noise coming from my engine, checked valves (fine) and am starting to think it might be timing chain related as it seems to vary in volume with throttle and engine vibration.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Did you adjust it just in from the rocks in a coffee can sound all the way out? How many miles on the bike? Mine has at least an inch of bolt sticking out.

Here is a close up of where I have mine set. It was installed when I had about 1200 miles on my S...ten threads showing but I am not sure of the quality control when these MCCT's were made. If they were cut different lengths when made, the distance to the cam chain could vary...I would have to believe they are pretty close though. Maybe other TT'ers could post pics of theirs or at least count the number of threads showing so we all know if we are in the ball park.

DSCN2951.jpg

Also 10/11 threads on mine but as was said before here and on various other posts, counting threads is not a good measure to go by...

i know it's not exact, but it was a second hand e so no way of knowing the miles and i'm woried about the noise and two suzuki mechanics in town have been able to give me no idea of whatthe noise may be. I'll count my threads tomorrow, but when i looked inside the head it seemed like it was pushing the chain very far in. what happens when your chain is stretched and needs replacing?

you cant go by any other motor.every one is different.

Then is there any real measurement to tell if the chain needs replacing? Symptoms?

you can check for cam chain stretch by looking at the valve timing.bring it up to tdc on the comp stroke with the cams at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock and arrows #1 horizontal with the top of the head, #2 and #3 verticle, count the number of pins.they should be exactly 15.

you can check for cam chain stretch by looking at the valve timing.bring it up to tdc on the comp stroke with the cams at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock and arrows #1 horizontal with the top of the head, #2 and #3 verticle, count the number of pins.they should be exactly 15.

Count the pins between what and what? wouldn't it always be the same number just the arrows go out a lil?

Well the answer of counting the pins is not quite right IMHO. But check your owners manual, it will tell you the correct distance between a certain number of pins...then you can just measure the chain yourself and see if it is still in factory specifications.

Mine has 10 threads showing. My 07s has 3700 miles on it, followed install instructions at 1200 miles when i installed it, I check it every thousand miles and it remaines in the same position.

Well the answer of counting the pins is not quite right IMHO. But check your owners manual, it will tell you the correct distance between a certain number of pins...then you can just measure the chain yourself and see if it is still in factory specifications.

My manual has this measurement for the drive chain, but nowhere can i find it for the timing chain. Anyone know?

I bet Eddie can look it up if he has time

in my mind if I have aney ishoos like your having I would just replace the timing chain

i installed my MCCT the other day i have i think 8 threds left with one of those being generous my ACCT had 3 clicks left hope this helps in some way bike has about 2700miles 03 model

My manual has this measurement for the drive chain, but nowhere can i find it for the timing chain. Anyone know?

There is no service length listed for the timing chain.

If it's a high mileage/ hour motor and is being rebuilt, replace the cam chain

If the timing of the cams is effected no matter how few hours on the motor, due to stretched chain....from the auto cam chain stretcher or an over tightened Manual tensioner.. then replace the chain.

If you find your auto or manual tensioner mostly or fully extended.. replace the chain.

How bout this idea... before you install your new chain, measure the distance between any 15 pins and post that for future reference. That won't tell us what is an "unserviceable" stretch, but it would be a good start. Then measure your old chain (15 pins) and post that up also. Maybe others could do it too. But I know the cam chain is relatively cheap so are we just whizzin into the wind?

How bout this idea... before you install your new chain, measure the distance between any 15 pins and post that for future reference. That won't tell us what is an "unserviceable" stretch, but it would be a good start. Then measure your old chain (15 pins) and post that up also. Maybe others could do it too. But I know the cam chain is relatively cheap so are we just whizzin into the wind?
that will help.... next time i have my cam cover off i can measure my chain as i only had 3 clicks left on the ACCT so my chain is pretty much on its last leg