Sign in to follow this  

Death March Revisited… (Why do Yamahas hate my Husky?)

So, Greg (426Braap) and I decided to hit LPNF yesterday for a little, vroom vroom, splash splash, scrape scrape, drop drop.

So we unload, put on our big-girl panties, and Greg says to me, he says “Hey, you want to try running upper Piru again?”

And I says to Greg, I says:

DSCN1102.jpg

Now, last time we ran Upper Piru, we ended up dubbing the ride “The Death March”. A couple of things we didn’t know: (1) Upper Piru should be run upstream down (we ran it the other way) and (2) There actually IS a trail (we ended up running the entire thing via the streambed).

Here are a couple shots of the carnage from the original Death March:

DSC05903.jpg

DSC05908.jpg

DSC05911.jpg

DSC05916.jpg

This time, luckily going downstream and actually having found the trail, the Death March was reduced to a good, ol’ fashion whipping session. Here’s a few pics of Greg in action (and a couple of him reliving the good ol’ days!):

DSCN1085.jpg

DSCN1089.jpg

DSCN1091.jpg

DSCN1099.jpg

DSCN1097.jpg

DSCN1105.jpg

You know you’re tired when you stop using your kickstand:

DSCN1110.jpg

Despite being thoroughly exhausted, a good time was had by all. I added a little video of Greg and I splashing around in one of the early stream crossings (I even added special effects to make me look extra bitchin’! – I had to, I don’t often get the chance :thumbsup: ):

(Sorry Greg – but that’s what you get for smokin’ me on the dingletrack :thumbsup: )

So, for all of you thumpertalk hardmen that think that Upper Piru is no big deal, I challenge you to run it from the bottom up, 100% streambed, and then tell me what you think :thumbsup:

Don't worry Jim, team red didn't too hot either - but that's what happens when team red has the camera :thumbsup:

My biggest "get off" all day was walking back to my bike in the rocks after a brief break. Greg had a front row seat - I caught my boot on a rock and went down like Indymac Stock!

Nice stuff guys.

When looking at the vid, I was wonder how come your bike looked bottomed out? It didn't look like much travel in the rear.

Hey Greg, you really need a KTM, problems solved. :thumbsup:

Oh...with a good clutch!!!

(He had the new one professionally installed):thumbsup:

Were you trying to sneak up on the water crossing.:thumbsup:

Nice stuff guys.

When looking at the vid, I was wonder how come your bike looked bottomed out? It didn't look like much travel in the rear.

Naw, my suspension is sweet on the 250 – after a few of those crossings (in all there were over a dozen) in that gorilla-snot mud I started sitting on the rear fender for traction. You can’t let off in that stuff or you’re a goner!

Hey Greg, you really need a KTM, problems solved. :thumbsup:

It’s your fault we were there in the 1st place. Greg said something about having gone in last weekend with a bunch of KTMs that the trail ate alive. He wanted to try again with a Honda as back up :thumbsup:

Naw, my suspension is sweet on the 250 – after a few of those crossings (in all there were over a dozen) in that gorilla-snot mud I started sitting on the rear fender for traction. You can’t let off in that stuff or you’re a goner!
It’s your fault we were there in the 1st place. Greg said something about having gone in last weekend with a bunch of KTMs that the trail ate alive. He wanted to try again with a Honda as back up :thumbsup:

That would be KTM in the singular tense not plural.:thumbsup: My bike ran perfect.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't why you guys like playing in all that water and quick sand when there's plenty of rocks and dirt that abounds.

I goota get back up there and finish what I started, without someones bike breaking. That was a long day for sure.

Very sad day for team blue.

Hopefully they don't pull my sponsorship:eek:

Don't worry Jim, team red didn't too hot either - but that's what happens when team red has the camera :thumbsup:

My biggest "get off" all day was walking back to my bike in the rocks after a brief break. Greg had a front row seat - I caught my boot on a rock and went down like Indymac Stock!

Of all your "soil samples" for the day chad, this one looked like it hurt (your pride) the most, good thing you were all geared up or it could have been much worse :thumbsup:.

Hey Greg, you really need a KTM, problems solved. :bonk:

The only thing my Yami needs off that KTM is the magic button:prof: :bonk: . Oh and for the record, I think Chad slowed that part of the video down:naughty: to make me look bad (and I'm sticking with that story:busted:)

It’s your fault we were there in the 1st place. Greg said something about having gone in last weekend with a bunch of KTMs that the trail ate alive. He wanted to try again with a Honda as back up :cry:

Sacrificed one KTM one week and wanted to see if I could do the same to team red this week, but no luck, the honda had too much fight in her:thumbsup: .

All in all it was a great time:applause:. That's what I would call a good beating, but next time a say "Death march" refer me back to some of the pictures to refresh my memory, I might just have to think twice:bonk:.

• Like 1

I thought it was closed due to being "impassible." I guess that was the opinion of the Pansie that tried to ride it for the Forest Service. On mans impassible is fun for another.

I love upper Piru. However, for the four times that I've done it I had the sense to go down the canyon and not up.

All in all it was a great time:applause:. That's what I would call a good beating, but next time a say "Death march" refer me back to some of the pictures to refresh my memory, I might just have to think twice:bonk:.

Come on Greg, let's do it again, I'm sure we can tip toe around the swamps and find something more stable to ride on. Or should I bring a snorkel and face mask?:thumbsup:

Come on Greg, let's do it again, I'm sure we can tip toe around the swamps and find something more stable to ride on. Or should I bring a snorkel and face mask?:thumbsup:

I think when the water level drops a little it will be easier. What happens is that the storms can bring in a bunch really loose sand. The first time I did upper Piru it was dry and my bike keeps sinking to the axles in the loose sand. That was an insane death march. It has been easier to do on the other occasions that I have been on it.

It was totally different from when we were there just 2 weeks earlier. Looks like the freak storm on Monday really hit the back side of Frazier park hard. Yellow jacket had areas that had small flash floods across the trial and the sandy areas on the piru creek trail turned to mud and quick sand. I'm sure it would have been a completely different story when we were there. Give it a couple of days to dry out and for me to forget, and then maybe I'll do it again:crazy:, now I know I'm bonkers:applause:

Carl, I thought I picked up in another thread that you had already done Upper Piru this season (I only took notice because I had recalled you saying earlier that it had been dubbed “impassable” and closed)… :thumbsup:

I wasn’t sure if it was closed or not until Greg & I hit it, although I honestly don’t know how they’d close it (the gate on the Halfmoon side has been ripped down since the 1st time I rode it.

Definitely more water this ride than our last foray. We had around 6 or 8 decent, tire swallowing crossings before we even dropped into Piru “proper”. Last time that was all dry.

If you can make it out the next few days before it all dries up, be sure to bring your water wings & a paddle!

Paddle tires may have been the ticket for this ride.

Looks like some good fun in the mud!:thumbsup:

Haven't done that section of Pirue yet. Looks like fun?

How many miles was it?

Do you guys ever take old fat guys on this ride? It looks like fun to me. :thumbsup:

How many miles was it?

Do you guys ever take old fat guys on this ride? It looks like fun to me. :thumbsup:

Yep, we even take older fatter guys. My friend Craig who went two weeks ago is 45 or so and weights about 340, and rides a XR 6-fiddy. He's not fast but he keeps going. Heck I'm no light weight at 205, of course that's solid muscle.lol

I'll pm you next time we go, it should be soon, maybe next Sat.

We didn’t even get pics of the best stuff (too busy crashing!). We put in a hair under 60 miles. Staged in Gorman > Tejon > Long Dave > Lockwood Creek > Yellow Jacket > Upper Piru > Lower Piru > Gold Hill Rd back & to the staging area on misc Gorman trails…

You could put together some good iron man loops in LPNF for a real good butt kicker if you had a pit stop mid-way…

We didn’t even get pics of the best stuff (too busy crashing!). We put in a hair under 60 miles. Staged in Gorman > Tejon > Long Dave > Lockwood Creek > Yellow Jacket > Upper Piru > Lower Piru > Gold Hill Rd back & to the staging area on misc Gorman trails…

You could put together some good iron man loops in LPNF for a real good butt kicker if you had a pit stop mid-way…

There are some good DS loops too. Some stuff just a little northwest of Fraiser park.

Yep, we even take older fatter guys. My friend Craig who went two weeks ago is 45 or so and weights about 340, and rides a XR 6-fiddy. He's not fast but he keeps going. Heck I'm no light weight at 205, of course that's solid muscle.lol

I'll pm you next time we go, it should be soon, maybe next Sat.

So you saw me ride. Think I can do all of it?