XR 80 help

i am currently trying to rebuild a 1980 XR 80. the bike came with no spark plug in it and the threads for the plug are compleatly gone, so i need to know which plug goes in this bike so i can buy a helicoil for the head. any help greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

The spark plug for that bike is a CR7HSA.

ngk cr7hsa is what i always use

really thanks guys i really appreciate your help. ill let you know if i can save this old girl or not.

what i had to do...well my dad....was when i first got my xr80...i was 5 and dident know jack about bikes....and i was trying to change the spark plug and strippes it out...my dad tapped the hole and put a lawn mower spark plug in it and it ran just as good as it ever did...good luck bro

what i had to do...well my dad....was when i first got my xr80...i was 5 and dident know jack about bikes....and i was trying to change the spark plug and strippes it out...my dad tapped the hole and put a lawn mower spark plug in it and it ran just as good as it ever did...good luck bro

hahahaha that sounds like me when i was a little dude, my 1984 XR100 was tickin a little so my dad adjusted the timing cahin slack and it went away. so while my dad is at work a few weeks later it did it again. so me tryin to impress my buddy says i can fix it......well i kinda stripped out the adjuster and we just ended up sellin the bike, instead off tearin down the whole motor. :thumbsup:

hahaha nice

hahaha nice

yea it was bad i got an ass chewin, but i guess i got a good lesson from it, cause i wont ever do it again.

looks like im gettin a helicoil but its gonna take at least a week to get it cause i live in friggin podunk. owell

hahahaha that sounds like me when i was a little dude, my 1984 XR100 was tickin a little so my dad adjusted the timing cahin slack and it went away. so while my dad is at work a few weeks later it did it again. so me tryin to impress my buddy says i can fix it......well i kinda stripped out the adjuster and we just ended up sellin the bike, instead off tearin down the whole motor. :ride:

Yup, those are way easy to strip. I did that to mine and the O-ring kept the screw from falling out. I ran it that way for a few years, warm it up for 5 minutes and the rattle went away.

Yup, those are way easy to strip. I did that to mine and the O-ring kept the screw from falling out. I ran it that way for a few years, warm it up for 5 minutes and the rattle went away.

hahaha mine would never stop rattlin i was really suprised that someone actually bought it and didnt notice that awfull tickin sound. hahahahaha:bonk:

ok so i just picked up another motor at a bike salvage shop for 80 bucks. not to bad considering it turns over and has a good haed and good compression. but i still need to find a carburator for this beast. anyone know a good place to buy one for a good price? also the original motors intake port is 7/8" in diameter and the motor i got from the salvage yard has a 3/4" port, why is this and can i just change them so i can get more air to the new motor? oh and what year did they start putting lights on these bikes, cause the new motor has a ton more wires comin out of it and i would venture to guess this is for a light. thanks in advance

ok well i got a carb commin for it and we got the "new" motor to run a bit but the timming was jumpped so we decided to get a .10 over piston kit for it and put both motors into one. i think eventually im going to chop and rake the front on this beast, make a custom gas tank from a mini keg. i already have some chopper style bars so im on my way.

ok my gaskets say they are for honda XL/XR 75 and XL80S 77-91 will they work on my XR XL frankenstien engine???

I have XL80 gaskets on my XL/XR frankenstein engine they work fine

I have XL80 gaskets on my XL/XR frankenstein engine they work fine

ok cool thanks for both your posts, i wanted to make sure they were the right gaskets before i opened them and couldnt take them back.

my next question is which shop manual is the best one to get? i would like to get the honda one but i cant seem to find one all i can find are the Haynes and Clymer books, not sure which one to buy, i know im gonna need one cause there is no way i can get her back together right without some nice pictures to help. hahaha

ok cool thanks for both your posts, i wanted to make sure they were the right gaskets before i opened them and couldnt take them back.

my next question is which shop manual is the best one to get? i would like to get the honda one but i cant seem to find one all i can find are the Haynes and Clymer books, not sure which one to buy, i know im gonna need one cause there is no way i can get her back together right without some nice pictures to help. hahaha

No problem

and about the manual, i have a Clymer for my 80 and its got great info in it

No problem

and about the manual, i have a Clymer for my 80 and its got great info in it

does it have lots and lots of pitures so i can fully rebuilt the engine? sorry for all the questions. :):D

does it have lots and lots of pitures so i can fully rebuilt the engine? sorry for all the questions. :):D

Yup, we did the top end by following the manual

Yup, we did the top end by following the manual

ok cool thanks for all the help, dont delete you subscribtion cause you can bet im gonna have more stuff to ask. hahaha:worthy: :)

haha np man :)