Sign in to follow this  

2007 250sx for single track

I currently ride a yz426f and ride almost all single track. I am looking at updating to something a little newer and more reliable(mostly just cheaper to do topends and maintain). I love the power of my bike but it would be nice to ifnd something lighter and more trail friendly. I dont really notice the weight beging a tall guy at 6'4 185 but I may just not know what I am missing. I would also like to get something with a plate to be legal on logging roads. I have been thinking that a ktm 300 would be prefect for me but I am now looking at a 2007 ktm 250sx with an offroad tank and some other goodies for the trails. How would I like this in comparison to the 300 and my 426? Im assuming this bike likes to be run higher in the rpms then the other two but will it have the grunt I need for the tight rutted and rooty hillclimbs?

Also can I get a xc stator and lights for the sx?

How would I like this in comparison to the 300 and my 426? Im assuming this bike likes to be run higher in the rpms then the other two but will it have the grunt I need for the tight rutted and rooty hillclimbs?

Also can I get a xc stator and lights for the sx?

The SX runs higher compression. Mine was harder to kick than what I was used to. Occasionally, it would kick back. I had mine setup with the green spring, soft ign map, and offroad protection. It did better than one would think. It stalled easier than the offroad versions. A FWW would have helped that. I really liked my SX, it was just a blast to ride. The gearing was surprisingly low enough for that type of riding. It loved to come off the ground over obstacles. Of course, I had to revalve the susp to make it rideable off road. I also liked the insane lightweight of that bike. I rode it on the same technical, side of the mountain, enduro trail that I ride my 200. The only place that bike lacked is that it wouldn't lug as well, and that could have been fixed.

With that being said, I really like riding my woods oriented 2 strokes as well.

It really depends on your riding style and how you want the bike to perform. Either will put a big ole grin on your face.

Which model 300 are you considering, and what year?

no 300 in particular. Most likely a 2007 or newer. The thing is a am headed back to college soon where I cant ride. Basically all I get to ride is during the summer, thanksgiving, christmas, and spring break. I am just trying to decide whether I should by a bike now or wait till the winter when bikes are generally cheaper, but then I would probably get less for my yz426.

Will I really miss the torque of a 300 or my 426 in the tight stuff even if I put a flywheel on it? I am not worried about the compression of it since I have been kicking a 426. I really liked the 426 which wasnt meant for trails either so I am wondering if I might just like the 250 sx too.

Anyone know for sure if I cant get a xc stator and put lights on it?

Yeah if you get the 07 SX and newer you get 99% of the current stuff like the frame, plastics, cylinder etc.

1st gear will be a little tall on the SX for tight northwestern singletrack (1st gear roots and rock strwen crazy trails)....Adding teeth on the rear or dropping one on the front will make the bike slow and buzzy on fireroads and plating it at that point wouldnt be much fun.

If you rode a 426 MX'er you are used to a tall 1st anyway so?

Is it the new bodystyle you are after without having to bump up to an 08' XC or XC-W to get it?

I see 08' 250/300 XC's for sale on CL and KTMTalk all the time for $5000-$5500. W models's fetch a bit more.

I would say go used 08' 250/300 XC if you can......Less work to do to get it fully singletrack ready.

Dunno about adding the stator to the SX. KTM's seem to have such good parts interchangability that I cant see that being a big deal.

SX250 is a great bike but why not go the purpose built route of possible?

I did and I have been veddy pleased.

PIC01835.jpg

1st gear will be a little tall on the SX for tight northwestern singletrack (1st gear roots and rock strwen crazy trails)....Adding teeth on the rear or dropping one on the front will make the bike slow and buzzy on fireroads and plating it at that point wouldnt be much fun.

SX250 is a great bike but why not go the purpose built route of possible?

the 07 SX's 1st gear is surprisingly low, stock. There's a few guys out west running the SX at high altitudes and in steep terrain.

IDK, great adjustable power, 209 lbs, cheaper than the other bikes, and offroad capable.

07_sx,_2.jpg

If I didn't ride the 200, I would be on another 07 or 08 SX. They are a lot of fun. However, I don't have the need for a larger tank, or rock crawl like some of you guys.

I dunno....My XC first gear is too tall stock for the really gnarly stuff. I would think that the SX 1st gear would be tough in stock form unless you ride the bike on the pipe and thats hard to do up here.

Maybe its the trails I have been on this year. Very slow stuff....Hung up on roots and rocks. Woreking the clutch and trying to keep foward momentum up. The first gear on my XC is tall to the point stock where it wants to be going 10-12MPH with clutch all the way out barely twisting the throttle. Much slower and there is nothing there and it almost wants to stall.

Maybe I suck. I just cant ride 10-12MPH up a trail with 2-3 foot stairsteps roots or toilet bowl sized rocks littering the trail.

I ended up with a 13T front sprocket on my 300.....It works much better now but without the tall trials tire my top end would be 45MPH.

The "W" model has the same internal 1st gear ratios as my XC except the XC came with 14/50 sprockets Vs' the XC-W having the 13/50 stock. It was easy getting that woods bike first gear....Its when you shift to 2nd or 3rd and it feels like you are essentially still in 1st that gets wierd. With a knobby the 13/50 gearing isnt rideable on the 08' XC for me. It has no legs and is way to buzzy and revved out. The tall trials tire evened it out and works well with the gearing now. I just cant imagine trying to gear an SX to be fully tight single track capable without running into issues with 2nd-3rd and 4th gears. Its a true close ratio trans.

I guess my comment to the OP is why not go the purpose built enduro single track bike route? Why even struggle with the stiffer suspension and the tall 1st gear and the short range fuel tank?

A fast "A" rider would probably rip it up on an SX or anything offroad for that matter....I'm just a "Joe" so?

Maybe its a cost issue? You can buy a used 07' 250SX for a pretty low price in comparison to the XC lineup.

I dunno....My XC first gear is too tall stock for the really gnarly stuff. I would think that the SX 1st gear would be tough in stock form unless you ride the bike on the pipe and thats hard to do up here.

The "W" model has the same internal 1st gear ratios as my XC except the XC came with 14/50 sprockets Vs' the XC-W having the 13/50 stock. It was easy getting that woods bike first gear....Its when you shift to 2nd or 3rd and it feels like you are essentially still in 1st that gets wierd. With a knobby the 13/50 gearing isnt rideable on the 08' XC for me. It has no legs and is way to buzzy and revved out. The tall trials tire evened it out and works well with the gearing now. I just cant imagine trying to gear an SX to be fully tight single track capable without running into issues with 2nd-3rd and 4th gears. Its a true close ratio trans.

I guess my comment to the OP is why not go the purpose built enduro single track bike route? Why even struggle with the stiffer suspension and the tall 1st gear and the short range fuel tank?

A fast "A" rider would probably rip it up on an SX or anything offroad for that matter....I'm just a "Joe" so?

Maybe its a cost issue? You can buy a used 07' 250SX for a pretty low price in comparison to the XC lineup.

Chaz, the SX comes with 13/48 gearing stock. I actually went to 14/50 on the SX, though the stock gearing worked fine.

Here, 1st and 2nd are different with the rest being the same:

SX XC

14:28 14:30

15:24 16:26

Primary drives are also the same.

It just really depends on the OP's use of the bike.

It just really depends on the OP's use of the bike

Agreed.

Wheres the OP?

OP...OP....

GO GET A KTM!!!!

im here im here...sorry gotta work to pay for this damn hobby!

The 250sx i was looking at already was setup for offroad so thats the reason I am interested in it. I dunno im trying to debate whether to buy it now or wait till thanksgiving/christmas when I am back from school to buy one. I think waiting would be smarter but I just dont see myself finding a better bike at a better price. If the darn owner of the bike would get back to me that might help too!

how would the experience be different between a newer 300 or 250?

I found a 2006 sx for 1500 less but the 2007 is setup for offroad with many extras plus the newer body style. How do the 2006's compare?

Get the new chassis/bodystyle.

According to all those in the know it has better turning. Feels lighter. Looks are debatable....I personally think the prior bike has an outdated look now as the new ones are so "Now".

I know my 2008 300 would carve circles under and around my 07' 525 but there are apples and there are oranges. I like the new chassis. It feels...Good!

300 is more tractor like. Grunting around at low RPM's...Making its money down low.

Ironically I rode a guys 08' 250XC a few weeks ago with a Gnarly pipe and it grunted better than my 300 and signed off sooner. the Dyno charts can be found here if you do a search on "Ever wonder what your powervalve does" The 300 on one of the dyno runs is my bike with a stock pipe. His 250 had a gnarly and not only signed off earlier on the dyno but my Seat o' the pants dyno said it felt really strong at low rpms as well. I like the 300 due to my high altidtude....If I lived at sea-level?

I would probably be riding a 200!!!

A setup for offroad SX at a good price would be my choice. The 06' would need to be showroom clean to even get my attention.

why do you say you like the 300 due to the altitude? Do you mean the jetting is less finicky or because of the added torque for climbs? I ride mostly single track mountains and am very high in altitude.

If you found a good deal on the 07 SX just get it. Its the same basically from 07-09'. The differences are noticeable from this generation from to the previous. I use my 07 250SX for psychotically rocky and tough desert, some single track and the MX track and it does great through all. I can romp up some of the loosest hills that a lot of other guys I ride with can't make it up. Its got motor for days, more than I actually use. The gearing is kind of goofy for some conditions/terrains. Depending on your needs you might want to change up the gearing.

The gearing is kind of goofy for some conditions/terrains. Depending on your needs you might want to change up the gearing.

this is true of just about all the bikes, depending on where you are. I agree with ya on the other points as well.

Altitude robs power, the SX has plenty.

The new chassis is much better, plus you get the dual map ign on the 07, and they got a heavier FW to smooth out the power delivery. So, to anyone telling you that the 07 SX is too squirrelly or moto like to ride offroad, they haven't ridden one offroad. All the KTM 2 strokes have very adjustable power.

why do you say you like the 300 due to the altitude? Do you mean the jetting is less finicky or because of the added torque for climbs? I ride mostly single track mountains and am very high in altitude.

Came off a 525 and wanted all the grunt I could buy in the lightest possible packaging. The 300 seemed to fit that request.

Our altitude is a power killer.....9K up to 12K...

I didnt know 300's like to boil and are kinda finnicky with jetting.....

Jeff Slavens lives up the street from me and he is the "Mang" when it comes to tuning and tweaking 300's to work on the high altitude rocky Colorado trails.....He rides a 300 and has a porting and decking pkg that I have gots to have...maybe next week.

I was scared that if I had the 250 I would always wonder why I didnt get the 300?

I'm just now getting good enough to pilot a 200....I wasnt at the time of purchase.

Since I have just an average sized dong I wanted the biggest smoker KTM offers.....To compensate for the dong thing.

I'm half black and my other choice would have been...A Hayabusa with an extended chromed out swingarm and a slutty blond chick who is with me....Because I'm black and have a Busa'?:ride:

Thats a slew of reasons.

Now go get you a KTM Mang and join in the festivities!!!

Came off a 525 and wanted all the grunt I could buy in the lightest possible packaging. The 300 seemed to fit that request.

Our altitude is a power killer.....9K up to 12K...

I didnt know 300's like to boil and are kinda finnicky with jetting.....

Jeff Slavens lives up the street from me and he is the "Mang" when it comes to tuning and tweaking 300's to work on the high altitude rocky Colorado trails.....He rides a 300 and has a porting and decking pkg that I have gots to have...maybe next week.

I was scared that if I had the 250 I would always wonder why I didnt get the 300?

I'm just now getting good enough to pilot a 200....I wasnt at the time of purchase.

Since I have just an average sized dong I wanted the biggest smoker KTM offers.....To compensate for the dong thing.

I'm half black and my other choice would have been...A Hayabusa with an extended chromed out swingarm and a slutty blond chick who is with me....Because I'm black and have a Busa'?;)

Thats a slew of reasons.

Now go get you a KTM Mang and join in the festivities!!!

Chaz, you're a trip. :ride:

yama, these bikes have a tendency to do that to ya. If you liked the bike, I would keep his # and call him in about a month. If he's that wishy washy, he will likely tilt that direction again. Just got to catch him at the right time. Get in his head about the money going in his pocket. He will sell.

Chaz, you're a trip

1074007529.jpg

Is this really the ride to please my inner need for speed? Any Asshat can go kill hisself on one of these big turds. I feel the need for speed....About 15MPH worth!. Which way to the singletrack sheet?

(PS the man posted in the photo is not me. I simply used his image to make my lame ass post. Thank you for the photo Anthony)

Now back to the subject.

Leftover 250XC...Or SX can be bought for cheap. My guess is that you can pick up a leftover 08' 250SX or a 250XC for $5500.00-$5800.00

I'm an idiot. I love the smell of a new bike in the shed. Its a smell that brings me back to my childhood. Sniffing around the dealership and smelling that smell. It smells the same today as it did in the 70's. Plastic, Rubber and a slight gassy smell. If they made a perfume i would buy some for my Wife and sleep with her rubbery plasticky smellin' butt on a daily basis.

Plus a new one isnt busted up......Yet.

I have the 07 250sx that he's interested in, i've rode 300's and don't like them, even 300's with engine work still they make lazy power compaired to a 250sx. heck, i think my buddys 08 250xc's might have a kdx200 motor camoflagued as a ktm 250 motor in it! sleepy in comparison but then again i do not like to short shift and I like to get the bike up on the pipe and ride it like it wants to be, even in tough tight singletrack.

The SX and XC's first gears with stock gearing feel the same to me, thats riding them back to back to back, keep in mind that the XC is geared taller stock 14/50(?) and the sx is 13/48.

Andrew - I will make you a good deal come this fall, my bikes are alway tight, I race and replace parts before they are in need of repair unlike most trail riders that "don't fix it till it's broke."

I'm not good enough to ride a 250SX or a 300 for that matter on the pipe through tight singletrack.....

Yet!

For now I just "Whir and Purr".

For now.