Sign in to follow this  

Hole in engine casing - what to do?

Hi there,

2 weekends ago I put a small hole in the right engine casing :thumbsup: , the chain snapped and as it came off it gouged a small hole into the case, and when the engine is running oil leaks at a bad rate.

I tried patching it up with jp weld and tried it out this weekend, it held for about 45 mins before it started leaking again.

So, not sure what to do now, as I'm trying to avoid getting a new engine case and having to pay to get it replaced. It'll cost a lot of money I don't really have

I saw this product :

http://durafix.com/

but I'm worried that I'd need to heat the engine block up too much (to get the good weld) and do some other damage to something else in the block.

Anyone got an ideas or know how I can fix this without replacing the case with a new one? Or am I going to have to bit the bullit and pay out?

thanks

I have used JB weld in a similar application on a KX500 some years ago and it worked fine but you must ensure that the surfaces are spotless so that the solution can get a good key, if the hole is a big one build it up with some tin foil and layer it with the JB. The cases option is the best way to do it but yes it is expensive, have you tried the breakers in the U.K. and U.S.A. you may be lucky?

i'm guessing you need the left hand side as you sit on the bike if the chain has chewed the casing.

Just found this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Suzuki-RMZ450-Left-Side-Engine-Case-Half_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em14Q2el1318QQhashZitem290246779802QQitemZ290246779802

Check ebay for the parts you need, you can usually get a good deal there and, the grab a service manual. It wont be nearly as hard as you think

Check ebay for the parts you need, you can usually get a good deal there and, the grab a service manual. It wont be nearly as hard as you think

I had a good look at the manual ., but it seems that I need some special tools to split the case, and also remove some of the bearings and seals. Anyone done this sort of thing without the special suziki tools? (ie with just normal garage tools)

You can do it with normal tools, i is just a little harder. Be patient with it, and you will be able to do it.

Remove the cover and take it to a welder. Thats gotta be cheaper than a new cover.

Remove the cover and take it to a welder. Thats gotta be cheaper than a new cover.

except you gotta be one hell of a welder to plug any sized hole in cast ally without cracking it, not to mention an AC/DC welder.