Sign in to follow this  

Newbie, might get an 05 YZ125, questions...

Been riding for a long time (bout 20+ years) but never owned a dirt/off road bike, always wanted one but never got around to getting one until now, I was about to get a 250f but that deal may fall through and I was also checking out an 05 YZ125, I know this is a 2 stroke thread and may be biased, lol, but what do you think of a YZ125 as a first dirt bike as opposed to the 250f and will it be something I may outgrow or get tired of in a short amount of time? Also, I understand that 2 strokes are kinda getting phased out, how long do you think I will be able to get parts for this bike or is it even something I should even be concerned about?? I'm going to be doing mainly trail riding and I hope to get onto the track but most likely will not get into racing. What do you guys think?

Great way to go. Not too many whiskey throttle momments when starting out for you. What's your weight? Some guys in the 210 range manage to find the 125 to be all they need. They do have somewhere near the mid 30's range for horsepower.:thumbsup:

The F bike will have a smoother somewhat more tractable power deilvery than the modern YZ you're comparing it to. However, it won't be as fun IMO and will cost you LOTS of money to rebuild. They do need valve adjustments but also a top end about every year or so which is a more involved process than working on a smoker.

Used 250Fs are scary because previous owners may have beat the motor fairly bad which could result in an upcoming boom for you. Not that it will but if it does it will cost lots to fix. If the 125 explodes you're looking at $500 for a total rebuild top and bottom which is a nice assurance to me.

The opinions above mine are good IMO. As for outgrowing it, well, I've been riding for 12 years, pro class since 2003, and I just got myself an 05 YZ125 this year as a playbike since I don't race anymore. I think it's the most fun bike I've ever had.

thanks for the advice guys! I'm 5'11" 185 lbs I feel reassured about the 125 smoker now, I hope we can seal up the deal, I actually am getting from a guy on a neighbor island so I'm going to have to do it sight unseen. The pics all looks nice, they claim it's never been raced (sure doesnt look like it from the pics, actually I don't think Kauai even has a MX track, lol) and supposedly has low hours but they don't know exactly how much. Actually it's a guys dad that I'm dealing with, I believe the son left for school or something but the dad claims it's only been trail ridden and well taken care of.

At $2228 including the shipping, I feel that it's a really good deal even if I ended up having to spend $ on it so I am going to take the chance. I'm waiting on him to get back to me so we can set up payment/shipping etc. I hope it sticks cause it's been very hard to find an 05-up YZ which is what I wanted. We'll see how this pans out in the next couple of days.

I always wanted a 2 stroke and have kinda been around them etc. so I think I would kick myself in the a$$ later if I didn't buy one and experience one of my own. My friends are trying to talk me out of it saying the 4-strokes are the bikes of the future, that they're going to stop making parts for the 2 strokes and that I won't be happy with the lack of torque on the 125 especially uphills, which there are a lot of hills and some steep ones in the trails here. What's your outtake on that and what mod should I look into the budget to increase low end? Gear up? Pipe? My buddies all ride 250f's so they have their opinions, I was almost talked into one, maybe it was fate that the deal fell through on the one I was going to get? LOL!

BTW, how long are parts going to be available for these 2 strokers?

These parts will be around for a LONG time. They STILL make the YZ125 for the '09 model year. The motor is very versatile and nothing like the typical peaky power 125s of yesteryear.

I'd gear it down for trail riding but ride it first to be sure. A good pipe IMO for a 125 is either the PC Platinum or the FMF Fatty but ride the stocker first to be sure. It is a good pipe on its own. Buy a protector for whatever pipe you run though.

You might also consider a KDX200/220 at your size/skill level though.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a shift stop?

Yes, I do plan on taking it out a few times before deciding if I need to gear up or change pipe on it but was just excited and wanting to check out pipe prices etc. to see what I may be in for.

Seriously, a KDX220? I've never rode one but have ridden older KLR350's, I think? 350 or 450, not sure I didn't like the way it handled nor was I impressed with the power, I think I'd get tired of it pretty quick but then again, I haven't owned a dirt bike yet so who knows... I do know that I was messing around on a friends YZ85 and that one was actually more fun then the KLR I rode. Actually my first choice is a Yamaha though, Honda would probably be second. Still waiting on a return email, grr, I want that bike! LOL

A YZ is no doubt a ripping bike but maybe not the *best* bike to learn trail skills on. The KDX eats KLRs/KLXs for a snack. They are a two stroke trail bike like an older KTM. A KDX200 with an FMF Gnarly desert and a Turbine Core 2 is one ripping machine but the chassis and suspension can't keep up with me.

The YZ or RM125s won't kill you but aren't as forgiving as the KDX power curve.

One thing you'll definitely want to look into is getting the suspension redone to suit your weight and terrain. After I got mine done, my '05 went from just an OK woods bike to a great woods bike.

Don't forget the radiator guards, skidplate and most importanly, barkbusters. A good set of bars that fit you also help a ton.

These parts will be around for a LONG time. They STILL make the YZ125 for the '09 model year. The motor is very versatile and nothing like the typical peaky power 125s of yesteryear.

I'd gear it down for trail riding but ride it first to be sure. A good pipe IMO for a 125 is either the PC Platinum or the FMF Fatty but ride the stocker first to be sure. It is a good pipe on its own. Buy a protector for whatever pipe you run though.

You might also consider a KDX200/220 at your size/skill level though.

I would recommend either. I OWN a 2006 KDX 200, but have ridden both quite a bit...and I'm selling the KDX to get a YZ 125. I found the handling on the YZ to be much more manageable (read flickable)...smoother power band. Although not quite as torquey as the 200. The YZ has a FAR superior suspension and IMO just simply a HELL OF ALOT more fun. I ride mostly in the desert our here in Cal City..and have mostly ridden my KDX. However, this past weekend, my KDX was out of commish, getting some powder coating done, so I rode my neighbor's 125. Seriously...WOW what a difference. I could not stop grinning for like the 3 hours we rode Saturday morning. We were driving home, and I decided then and there...no more KDX for me...I am now YZ! Good luck with whatever you purchase!!:thumbsup:

thanks, hopefullly I can land something soon! I wanna hit the trails!

chad, can't you find an '06 YZ125 at the least?

there's nothing wrong with the '05, it's a very good 125... but the '06 is better.

(although some people i know prefer the handling of the '05 than the '06 --- the latter being the first year of the SST forks)

thanks for the advice guys! I'm 5'11" 185 lbs I feel reassured about the 125 smoker now, I hope we can seal up the deal, I actually am getting from a guy on a neighbor island so I'm going to have to do it sight unseen. The pics all looks nice, they claim it's never been raced (sure doesnt look like it from the pics, actually I don't think Kauai even has a MX track, lol) and supposedly has low hours but they don't know exactly how much. Actually it's a guys dad that I'm dealing with, I believe the son left for school or something but the dad claims it's only been trail ridden and well taken care of.

At $2228 including the shipping, I feel that it's a really good deal even if I ended up having to spend $ on it so I am going to take the chance. I'm waiting on him to get back to me so we can set up payment/shipping etc. I hope it sticks cause it's been very hard to find an 05-up YZ which is what I wanted. We'll see how this pans out in the next couple of days.

I always wanted a 2 stroke and have kinda been around them etc. so I think I would kick myself in the a$$ later if I didn't buy one and experience one of my own. My friends are trying to talk me out of it saying the 4-strokes are the bikes of the future, that they're going to stop making parts for the 2 strokes and that I won't be happy with the lack of torque on the 125 especially uphills, which there are a lot of hills and some steep ones in the trails here. What's your outtake on that and what mod should I look into the budget to increase low end? Gear up? Pipe? My buddies all ride 250f's so they have their opinions, I was almost talked into one, maybe it was fate that the deal fell through on the one I was going to get? LOL!

BTW, how long are parts going to be available for these 2 strokers?

I am keeping an eye out, I found another really nice 05, he wants quite a bit and I'm actually thinking about it because of the condition, I'd love to have an 06 but the 05-ups has been few and far in between, haven't even seen an 06 since I've been looking over the last month or so. I am keeping my eyes peeled, I don't know how much longer I can deal with this lol!

ok. what's you guys opinion on an 05 yz125 40-50 hours, never raced and in

absolutely pristine condition, no joke, only been dropped lightly in tall grass,

seriously pretty much as close as new as you can get for $2700. shipped is this steep or should I jump on it??

I'm always a little cautious when I hear that a bike has never been raced. Typically, it's the racers who do the best job of upkeep and maintaining their bikes.

As far as the price goes, it's kind of hard to say what's a good price since you live in Hawaii. Here in MN, an '05 in good shape will fetch right around $2k.

hmmmm, I don't want to pay too much for the wrong reasons... The other 125 is no longer on craigslist, I guess that's why he never returned my calls...

Oh well, I'm trying to get the right deal, I guess the wait continues....

I own a 2005 YZ125 and It was the best decision I ever made!

I recently sold my 2005 YZ250F

PM Me If you have Any questions

Id be more than happy to help you out!

never raced and in

absolutely pristine condition, no joke, only been dropped lightly in tall grass,

That sounds a bit skeptical; only dropped lightly in tall grass?

$2700 sounds like a good starting point, but see if you can talk him down. I've seen 05-06 250s for that price.