Where in hte NE do you guys find high octane gas

Basically the title says it all. I need some soon and not sure where to get it. So, where are u guys getting it from? how much is it to ship?

several local Sunoco stations sell CAM2 around here. You may want to see if any in your area do as well - check stations near or at the race tracks.

Also - call any of your local/regional motorcycle dealerships and ask them.

You could also contact VP.

VP-Atlantic

Newark, DE

Phone: 302-368-1500

Fax: 302-368-1869

vpatlantic@vpracingfuels.com

Hey Red,

I was in the same boat a month ago...Looked high and low...Vp is about 70+ bucks a 5 gal. can in CT when its in.Got mine at a cycle gear shop but....Go with the cam2 its a whole lot cheaper. Ask around what the mix is for your elevation(50/50 prem? most likely). Get a good fuel jug that has no vapor escape and store that in a cool dry place and draw off to a small jug(mix it up again) as you only need a gal or two for most stuff. Oh yeah put some marine stablizer in it helps keep corrossion to min. and fuel fresh. Also run your bowl dry at the end of your fun time.This will keep the fuel from eating your gaskets and carb parts.

I run a Sherco 2.9 05 and there telling me here in the states that you only need enough to keep it from pinging.but my bike calls for 98 and thats what I run and it seems to run just fine.

Believe it or not all shops carrying race fuel are not listed call around speed shops and sport bike places. In the end the local race track seems the best place as they have alot of turn over and it was the chepest by far go with the cam2 my friend.

Scotty H RI

hummm, looks like sunoco is around me, i'll have to give them a call and see if i can find a place. I got a couple of those metal cans, including one that i have about a gallon maybe 1.5 of 110 torco left in that i'll just top off. Good idea with the using that to fill up a small can thing, didn't even think of that.

Red,

Be careful with the metal storage cans,bad jew,jew....I would get a 5gal chemical or race jug (that has rubber gasket). Pour in your concoction and shake. Then keep it safe some where in the basement where the temps don't change much. then shake it up and pour out to a 1 or 2.5 gal. jug. as needed.

Keep in mind todays gas formulas only stay good in vented tanks for just a few weeks.They also separate in sealed motionless storage,so shake before pouring.

Heres my recipe for my Sherco 2.9,

1.)Marine stabilize 3oz (whatever they recommend)

2.)Maxima K2 Syn 2 cycle 80 to 1 (1.75% aprox.)

2.)VP c-12 or Cam2 110 octane.... 2.5 gals

3.)Sunoco premium......................2.5gals

This is my set up, not sugessting it for you just giving you ideas.My bike calls for 2% (50 to 1) oil, but my bike rep says 80/1 is the amount that keeps the exhaust and throtle response happier.

Be safe

Scott - Curious, why the bad vibe on metal cans?

Man, I could have sworn I wrote a whole long response to this and hit "submit".... weird.

I basically said what everyone else here has said. I store all of my gas in the metal cans though. Just keep it in there, and siphon it out into a smaller can for whatever riding I do that day. It sometimes takes me a while to burn through a whole 10 gallons of gas (I have to get 5 gallon cans of race gas, so I split it straight into 5 gallons of pump), and I've been told by a number of people that it will last longer in the metal cans. Makes sense; the plastic cans are somewhat permeable, and let air in and out. The metal cans, on teh other hand don't.

So why wouldn't you use them?:thumbsup:

I still mix 3 gallons of AVGAS (100/130 Octane Low Lead) with 2 gallons of Premium Unleaded and then Amzoil Saber smokeless 100:1 oil at about 90:1 or 100:1 depending upon whether I am riding mountain trails or Trials Practice. I use the 90:1 on the mountain trails where I'm more likely to use 5th and 6th gears for extended climbs.

I also add oil based fuel stabilizer from the Chainsaw shop. I have seven 1-liter aluminum fuel bottles that I fill and keep in the van. The rest is in one of the newer plastic gas cans with the no-spill dispenser top. I mix only 5 gallons at a time.

I chose the AVGAS mix because I trust the additives. Long term storage is common with General Aviation aircraft as the wing tanks are always filled after each flight. Plus I believe there is less chance of any alcohol and I know that the amount of lead is very low. PLUS, it's less than $6 per gallon.

Metal Cans,

Should have been clearer,I also store my race fuel in ORIGINAL fuel cans.I saw he was 19 and maybe thought it would go in the old mower can(leaky)little vent holes top cap usually.

Besides after having an chainsaw fuel accident which involved a metal can. I just learned the hard way that they conduct not only electricity but heat all to well(gas has flash point 110deg),and be come fire bombs.Plastics the way to store when traveling.Just take my word for it.

Sorry for the confusion.

Heres my recipe for my Sherco 2.9,

1.)Marine stabilize 3oz (whatever they recommend)

2.)Maxima K2 Syn 2 cycle 80 to 1 (1.75% aprox.)

2.)VP c-12 or Cam2 110 octane.... 2.5 gals

3.)Sunoco premium......................2.5gals

Is all that necessary?

I have a Sherco 2.9 and I run high octane pump fuel with never a problem.

Hey A5,

My bike was sold to me set up this way the original owner did v-force reeds and various other things to her.I tried to run 1/3 VP, 2/3 pump and straight 94. I don't get the lift off at all that I get with the posted mix.Kept finding that I was hoisting it by the bars to get a simple throttle up wheelies.Not what I want in the rock piles all day.

I use marine stabil to keep corrosion down in the carb/engines.After running and tearing down my commercial Outboard over and over in the last 20 year or so I can say the bowls in my carbs since using this stuff are immaculate.No pitting,gumming or oxidation what so ever.for a few cents more I would say thats worth it to anyone.

A5 we should hook up, I really want to get into RI club besides you could show me your 2.9 set up maybe I could learn what makes it eat pump gas so well.Beside you can try mine out and see if you like throttle launches.

Ahh,

Rocket science 2ply favorite stuff Heh,heh....

Hey A5,

A5 we should hook up, I really want to get into RI club besides you could show me your 2.9 set up maybe I could learn what makes it eat pump gas so well.Beside you can try mine out and see if you like throttle launches.

Im all for that. I am currently off the bike for now though awaiting knee surgery(non bike related).

We can hook up and I'll get you into a meeting. I believe the next meeting is Aug 10th. I'll be n touch with you if I can make it to that one.

Im all for that. I am currently off the bike for now though awaiting knee surgery(non bike related). ......

Ah, knee surgery... BTDT 3 times with one of them an ACL rebuild, also non-bike related. Doctor told me to keep riding Trials... I like him!!

A5,

Would have to be Aug 10th,I have the largest Sporting Clays Event of the Season Right here in Burriville RI,Addieville East Farm. Its a 4 day event with a 45,000$ payout.

I will be shooting there 7,8,9and 10th.I have won just about everything a least once in NE area but this one.We have a lot of the top World champs coming here and I want to pit myself up against the Best of the Best. Kinda would be like missing the Wagner Cup and being good enough to compete.

Is there a way I can meet the pres. as I know a lot of attending members,I will be back on the road come September and won't be around til late spring.

I get my summers off and I'm running out if time.Thanks again for your help.

Ahh,

Rocket science 2ply favorite stuff Heh,heh....

Not so much Rocket Science. Mostly just stand back and throw money at it and see what happens.. :thumbsup: In this case, I'm familiar with AVGAS as an octane booster but not the many variations of "Race Gas" that I see.

And I'm still waiting for a fuel chemist to come forward and explain the pros and cons of our various "VooDoo" mixes.. :thumbsup: I know some of them but I'm sure there are some I don't. We had one fuel chemist surface on TT but then disappeared before we could ask the questions.

I still remember the old Bultaco using high octane / high lead. Everything was fine until I opened the throttle for a high speed 5th gear run and would get shut down with a spark plug whisker. Easy to fix, but still.... I was told that is was the lead deposits coming off the plug and collecting between the spark plug gap... More VooDoo?? :thumbsup: very possible.:thumbsup:

Ah, knee surgery... BTDT 3 times with one of them an ACL rebuild, also non-bike related. Doctor told me to keep riding Trials... I like him!!

WOW...I like your Doc. Actualy mine has been fine. He said I wouldnt worsen it with activity but riding wont make it any better either. I did mine at work and I am out on workers comp so i have stayed away from the bike. Luckily my ACL is fine...I put a small vertical tear in my patella tendon. I go to the surgeon again tommorow to schedule the surgery.

Being off work for the whole summer is great:applause: ...being off the bike for the whole summer really sucks!!!!:thumbsup:

Metal Cans,

Should have been clearer,I also store my race fuel in ORIGINAL fuel cans.I saw he was 19 and maybe thought it would go in the old mower can(leaky)little vent holes top cap usually.

Besides after having an chainsaw fuel accident which involved a metal can. I just learned the hard way that they conduct not only electricity but heat all to well(gas has flash point 110deg),and be come fire bombs.Plastics the way to store when traveling.Just take my word for it.

Sorry for the confusion.

I get it. Thanks for clarifying.

Metal Cans,

Sorry for the confusion.

HEY! just cause i'm 19 doesn't mean i'm THAT stupid. I make sure to weld up all the holes in my leaking gas cans. But no, I have a can that has a gallon or so of torco race gas sitting in it right now (wish i could put it in my basement, someone would flip though) that i'd be using for gas for a while.

hmmm

is all that rocket science and the super-duper gas really necessary?

plain and simple pump gas was good enough for all my bikes

except the 95 GasGas ECs

we fed them Premium with Octaine booster

due to bad pinging with anything less

as for metal gas cans

Octaine booster will eat right though them

gas with booster will take a little longer to dissolve the metal