Sign in to follow this  

i know, i know. (i know now)

i went riding Saturday with the bike (DRZ-s) in stock form. to a place with alot of sand, that i did not know about. it's true that the deathwings suck. time for new tires. over all it wasn't too bad, but the tires worked me pretty good. only went down twice it the deep thick stuff while riding easy.

now when i got home to clean the bike up, i noticed that i twisted the left radiator and bent up the fan shroud.

morel of the story: live and learn, even when told not to

Even with really good tires, the DRZ can be a handful in the sand. You're lucky you just tweaked your radaitors and not your knees, arms or noggin.

You went riding in the sand with death wings and no rad protection? You are lucky. I assume you had some gear on...

The DRZ in the sand is strange, I have found that getting the RPMs up and ripping it, keeps you up on top. You just need to plan turns, normally I just push the ass end around and steer very little with the front.

The DRZ is a real handful in the sand. Some MT21's or D606s will be a lot better.

This bike needs to be ridden hard in the sand. Keep that throttle twisted and its much better

Another sand riding tip: Keep your eyes up and look where you want to go. Its a tip that was in the riding tips booklet that came with the bike but it really works. Keeping this focus can actually help you get through the soft stuff.

Romy

Just don't look at the rocks! I swear when I ride in sand if I look at a rock, I'll drive right towards it! I've learned to not look at them, look away! And the bike will go around them. Just a few desert sand wash tips from 35 years of off road riding. HTH c good

Wow, I thought I was the only one who thought the DRZ was horible in the sand. I have done MT-21s, and D606's with no joy. I just think the "S" is heavy on the front end, and that makes it a handfull. Any suggestions?

i thank you all for the replies and suggestions. :thumbsup: but like i said live and learn, right. as for the bike, it's still ride-able but with no fan. gonna order some new parts that are supposed to be there and some accessories to fix'em up right. :thumbsup:

i figure that i should go back to this place some more to HONE my skills

If the bike feels heavy twist the right hand and all the weight will go away, especially in the sand. These two wheelers you have to stay on the gas in the sand, I think these bikes are a blast in the soft stuff, mine lives for glamis and superstition.

Ditto all the above, leaning back and keeping the throttle up is the only way i can make mine behave in the flowery stuff, the DRZ in deep sand makes about as much sense as a politician in a church.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who thought the DRZ was horible in the sand. I have done MT-21s, and D606's with no joy. I just think the "S" is heavy on the front end, and that makes it a handfull. Any suggestions?

Any bike, mx or not will feel heavy in the sand. Like I said before, keep that throttle twisted to keep your front end light.

Riding in the sand is one of those things that being a little nuts is actually safer!