Sealing Washers On Drain Bolts

The manual insists that we should be changing these washers each time the bolt gets pulled, my question is has anyone actually done this? I am on my 8th oil change(s) and still using the original washers and they seem to torque down just fine and never leaks a drop. Unless there is some compelling evidence as to this being a necessity, I am going to keep using the same one. I mean what is the worst thing that can happen from reusing these washers over and over?

I used to change mine every time .. now I do it every fourth or so. I think the idea is that the washers are "crush" washers, and compact slightly each time so you don't overtorque the bolts. They are very cheap to buy, so personally I would change them out when you feel they are no longer compressing. Just my 2 cents :thumbsup:

i have never changed mine as long they dont leak......oh i've never had one leak

The manual insists that we should be changing these washers each time the bolt gets pulled, my question is has anyone actually done this? I am on my 8th oil change(s) and still using the original washers and they seem to torque down just fine and never leaks a drop. Unless there is some compelling evidence as to this being a necessity, I am going to keep using the same one. I mean what is the worst thing that can happen from reusing these washers over and over?

it's highly advised, but not required to do so. Since they are cheap, it may make sense to buy a bunch for the hey of it.

replacing them often can lead to striped drain bolt thread......because of the excessive torque used when crushing the washers......jmho

replacing them often can lead to striped drain bolt thread......because of the excessive torque used when crushing the washers......jmho

WOW another piece of disinformation,I guess you just can't help but reply to every post even if you have no idea what you are talking about.cheers

WOW another piece of disinformation,I guess you just can't help but reply to every post even if you have no idea what you are talking about.cheers

like i said just my honest opinion.....people think they are crushing a new washer when in reality they are spinning the threads:prof:....also if it dont leak......why replace it?>.......or am i being obtuse?

If you're using a torque wrench then the threads are seeing the same force regardless of a new or old washer....

If you're using a torque wrench then the threads are seeing the same force regardless of a new or old washer....

not using a torque wrench.....i just snug them up and be done with it

not using a torque wrench.....i just snug them up and be done with it
:thumbsup: . Mine's an '06 with oh, let's see...about a MILLION oil changes (at least it seems like it.) I have never changed the crush washer and don't use a torque wrench.

I would agree with an earlier post. Have a few on hand. Watch for leaks...change if needed.

Change mine out every few oil changes.

Oops never changed a washer like that yet.

I used to use safety wire on my YZ drainbolt.

I can see that working on the engine drainbolt but would be as bit hard on the tx side for a CRF..

Maybe will try to get some of these crush washers.

Next time I pass a honda dealer.

the longer you wait to change one the harder they are to get off the drain bolt. thats why honda reccomends changing them every time(and of course because they want your loot).but they can be a beeeeeotch to get off the drain bolt the more they get"crushed"

the longer you wait to change one the harder they are to get off the drain bolt. thats why honda reccomends changing them every time(and of course because they want your loot).but they can be a beeeeeotch to get off the drain bolt the more they get"crushed"

Yup, if you let it go too long and all of a sudden decide to change it, you might as well pick up a new drain bolt as well :thumbsup:

nothing a set of dikes can't take care of:thumbsup:

nothing a set of dikes can't take care of:thumbsup:

What do lesbians have to do with sealing washers?

dikes.........aka 'cutters'

I didn't think it was a big deal to use new washers every time, and the time I didn't use a new one it leaked. I use a new washer every time with no worries. The last thing I want to do on my way to go ride is to find a puddle under my bike because I was cheap.

I never replaced mine until one mushroomed over the bolt & I decided that I better get one on there even though it had never leaked. 06 with ?????? oil changes. Dikes/lesbian sharp teeth cuts them right off no problem. I only changed one & the other is still going strong with no leaks. I don't use a torque wrench since everyone has horror stories about striping them. I feel like I can feel the bolts stretch when I do it manually & I stop before the bolt stops stretching.:thumbsup:

Anyway that has been my experience with it.

dikes.........aka 'cutters'
I never replaced mine until one mushroomed over the bolt & I decided that I better get one on there even though it had never leaked. 06 with ?????? oil changes. Dikes/lesbian sharp teeth cuts them right off no problem. I only changed one & the other is still going strong with no leaks. I don't use a torque wrench since everyone has horror stories about striping them. I feel like I can feel the bolts stretch when I do it manually & I stop before the bolt stops stretching.:thumbsup:

Anyway that has been my experience with it.

What are these "dikes/lesbian sharp teeth" you talk of?? I don't understand this Ameriacan terminology??? :thumbsup: Are they similar to side cutters????