What Gear Do You Think I Should Be In...

The first tabletop I can clear in 2nd pinned. I usually jump it in low to mid 3rd. I land in the middle between to two tabletops around the top of 3rd.

So, what gear do you think I should be in to land on the top of the second tabletop??

(It goes right to left.)

x3jhw.jpg

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2mhs87s&s=3

(I've gotten a LOT better since this video.)

Id say 5th wat your gonna have to do is come out of that corner flying and be reved out in 4th going through the whoops then click 5th as soon as you get out of them, but is there anyother riders upthere that are faster than you are up there that do what your talking about, if so then what your gonna have to do is keep up with them the whole time on that section of track, if you cant keep up chances are your not gonna be able to make it, so dont try it if you cant.

Wait, what are you trying to do?

Jump from the first table to the top of the second?

Yes.

And like I said I'm A LOT better since that video was taken.

BTW. My is a 6 speed. And no one else has done this. I'm pretty anxious to go back out here and see if it's possible. I'm mean, this is a line that no one would have thought of. It reminds me of this...

?

So, what gear do you think I should be in to land on the top of the second tabletop?

In order of when you will need it:

A chest protector for when you slam into the bars.

Good boots for when your suspension bottoms out in about 0.023 seconds leaving your feet to absorb the rest of the Umpteen G impact.

A good helmet for when you suspension rebounds just as you are riding off the table top (you are rebounding up and your bike drops down), and land on your head.

Knee and elbow pads, since this landing won't stop with your head.

Once you're done bouncing on your knees and elbows, you'll probably skid a little, so you'll want some riding pants with the foam ass built in.

I wouldn't worry about gloves. Any damage done to your hands will heal up long before your arms are unbroken.

Don't worry about goggles either. There aren't too many jerks that would roost a new cripple lying in the track.

?

Well, if you land on the face of the next jump going that fast, you will be in for a world of hurt, I imagine a broken leg or two if you are lucky

I've landed flat in the middle of it before. Will that extra 5-10ft cause that much more damage? I know I'll be going faster, but not light speed.

If I can overjump it and land in the middle of the two jumps in 3rd 3/4 throttle. Won't 4th 1/2 throttle get me to the other half?

If I do decide to try it, I'll go at it around 3rd pinned which should cause me to land right at the bottom of the next jump which will give me an idea of what it'll be like to come up short.

If 3rd will get me that far, won't 1/4-1/2 throttle of 4th be guaranteed to make it?

I AM new to this, been at the track maybe 10 times. But I've progressed GREATLY. I've also have had 3 years time to read up on all the MX techniques and such so I KNOW how to do stuff, but that doesn't mean I do it correctly YET.

My lap time was consistantly 58. Some rider on a either 250f or 450f was 52 and he seemed pissed at that. They had a $20,000 trailer too so they must really be into it. How is my lap times compared to his? Same start and stop position.

Don't listen to these guys. Just set your suspension as stiff as it will go. Just hold it wide open. It doesn't even matter what gear you're in. There are a few more things you'll need to do in preparation. First, take your front number plate off. This allows more air to get to the radiator and you'll look cooler. Second, get one of those mohawk stickers and put it on your helmet. Third, you'll need all black plastics. Fourth, try to sit more as you go through those whoops. You should be pinning it through the whoops but if you're not, make sure you do right when you come out of the whoops, regardless of the gear you're in. Fifth, you must, must get a friend to tape it and put it on Youtube.

Finally, don't do any of this. If there are faster guys than you out there and this was a safe and doable jump you would have seen them do it already.

I've landed flat in the middle of it before. Will that extra 5-10ft cause that much more damage? I know I'll be going faster, but not light speed.

If I can overjump it and land in the middle of the two jumps in 3rd 3/4 throttle. Won't 4th 1/2 throttle get me to the other half?

If I do decide to try it, I'll go at it around 3rd pinned which should cause me to land right at the bottom of the next jump which will give me an idea of what it'll be like to come up short.

If 3rd will get me that far, won't 1/4-1/2 throttle of 4th be guaranteed to make it?

I AM new to this, been at the track maybe 10 times. But I've progressed GREATLY. I've also have had 3 years time to read up on all the MX techniques and such so I KNOW how to do stuff, but that doesn't mean I do it correctly YET.

My lap time was consistantly 58. Some rider on a either 250f or 450f was 52 and he seemed pissed at that. They had a $20,000 trailer too so they must really be into it. How is my lap times compared to his? Same start and stop position.

Landing on the face of the next jump is a lot different than landing flat...

If I were you I would just work on staying low and scrubbing the two tables

I can already start a flat whip. Scrubbing is next. I was just trying to explore all possibilities to go faster. And yes, cornering and clearing the doubles completely are on the list. I'm as fast as everybody else out there in the corners and straights, but on 90% of the doubles my back wheel catches slowing me down.

Again...

I have been on an mx/sx track maybe 10 times total. Have been riding for a month. I'm on a 2001 YZ125. The other guy has at least a $20k race trailer and a brand new 07/08 250f or 450f. The time starts and stops at the same spot. Mine is 58 seconds and his is 52 seconds. I'm 6 seconds slower.

How good is my time versus his time given that I'm a beginner and he's, from observation, a very serious racer.

I have been on an mx/sx track maybe 10 times total. Have been riding for a month. I'm on a 2001 YZ125. The other guy has at least a $20k race trailer and a brand new 07/08 250f or 450f. The time starts and stops at the same spot. Mine is 58 seconds and his is 52 seconds. I'm 6 seconds slower.

How good is my time versus his time given that I'm a beginner and he's, from observation, a very serious racer.

If the race is five laps, he finishes half a lap ahead of you. In a nine lap race, he will lap you near the last corner.

I can already start a flat whip. Scrubbing is next. I was just trying to explore all possibilities to go faster. And yes, cornering and clearing the doubles completely are on the list. I'm as fast as everybody else out there in the corners and straights, but on 90% of the doubles my back wheel catches slowing me down.

Again...

Even half of a second is alot of time,like in 20 laps he will be 10 seconds infront of you at the end. in 20 laps, with the 6 seconds he will be 2 minutes infront of you at the end

I'd worry about clearing all the doubles no problem, before attempting something no one else is doing. LIke was said earlier if the experienced guy on a 450 isn't doing it that should say something. Yeah Stewart may be able to to put how many of us are even close to that. My cousin just broke both his legs coming up short on a double. Off his bike for more than 6 weeks and in a wheel chair for about 3. He'd been racing for about 8 years. Take it easy learn from the faster guys on the track.