Sign in to follow this  

144 gearing?

Just curiuos what gearng 144 guys run. I am assuming with the extra power and you are running a smaller rear sprocket allowing it to pull longer between shifts and the ned to shift every 2 seconds is sttretched out as well.

What go me thinking was the 4 strokes passing me on the berms and heading dow the straights and over the table top while staying in one gear. What the hell, how easy is that lol. I have to shift twice before that table top. So I wondered if the 144 made it more thumper like with taller gearing is all.

Thanks

i built a 05 yz144. i didnt change the gearing. its still a 1/8th + liter motor. tiny. it pulled the stock gearing better, but i think you'll lose what you gained if you went down in sprocket size.

jmho.....

Stock is 12/50 I run 12/51 but I prefer the 12/50.

KTM144 uses 14/49 gearing.

KTM uses 14/49? Wow.... I thought their bikes were poweful.... but I didn't know they pulled that gearing.

13/51 might be better, I don't have experience gearing 125s but going from 12/49 to 13/49 on my 250 was well worth it at the track.

I would think that you'll still be bangin 2 gears to hit the double. 2t's don't have that tractor like torque.

Now you know how I feel on race day. I am the only 250 in my class and the only 2T!

im seeing more and more 2t's on the starting line lately.

i was at a race a few weeks back and a guy on a rm250 ran away from the rest of the experts and intermediates. 3 laps into the 5 lap race and he had 1/2 of the track on the next closest rider.

made my heart swell :ride: .

Just shift up those 1 or 2 gears and feather that clutch till the cows come home. Don't worry it'll pull further, just use the clutch more and get her on the pipe.

A guy in the YZ forum runs a 14/50 on his 144 and he says it pulls like stock. That is like a 12/42 or so.

Man, I am all about that!

A guy in the YZ forum runs a 14/50 on his 144 and he says it pulls like stock. That is like a 12/42 or so.

Man, I am all about that!

Don't worry about what gearing a YZ runs, they are so different that its rediculous. YZ's have a lot more torque than a RM so they can pull lower gearing. And I like your sig.

Ok good to know thanks for the insight Eric.

Ok good to know thanks for the insight Eric.

If I were you I would run stock gearing on a 144, and get it ported for mid to top. The bigger piston is going to add bottom anyway, so with mid to top porting it should run real good.

Don't worry about what gearing a YZ runs, they are so different that its rediculous. YZ's have a lot more torque than a RM so they can pull lower gearing. And I like your sig.

I bet the difference in torque between the 2 bikes isn't even a half ft/lb. I think internal gearing on the YZ is pretty much perfect and lets it be that much better in its final gearing. Just a thought:excuseme:

I bet the difference in torque between the 2 bikes isn't even a half ft/lb. I think internal gearing on the YZ is pretty much perfect and lets it be that much better in its final gearing. Just a thought:excuseme:

Yea I totally agree, the YZ has the perfect gearing. I think the reason the YZ feels like it has more torque is because the better gearing. The YZ takes less clutch work than the RM, I bet a 144 RM has like the perfect power spread.

Oh you mean gear box gearing right. I'll do the 144 and try a 13/51 combo. That is anbout the same as dropping 2 teeth from stock. EG says the RM is the bike that responds best to the 144. I don't know. A little longer pull would be nice though. Just a bit longer. RM has a 6 speed close ratio, lots of shifting going on.

The KTM uses a 14/49, heck RM copied the KTM motor in 04. I bet it will pull it.

I would do the mid top port though, that does make sense.

I burned my hand quite badly lastnight at the track helping some quadtards lift thier quad into a truck yesterday so I am down for about a month. Never got a thanks either. Freaking quadtards.

I was feeling good too, riding better than ever. Passing 450 flatbill posers. One of these days I'll be lapping like you two guys. :ride:

I lOVE north Carolina. Got a link to vids you you Eric?

Oh you mean gear box gearing right. I'll do the 144 and try a 13/51 combo. That is anbout the same as dropping 2 teeth from stock. EG says the RM is the bike that responds best to the 144. I don't know. A little longer pull would be nice though. Just a bit longer. RM has a 6 speed close ratio, lots of shifting going on.

The KTM uses a 14/49, heck RM copied the KTM motor in 04. I bet it will pull it.

I would do the mid top port though, that does make sense.

I burned my hand quite badly lastnight at the track helping some quadtards lift thier quad into a truck yesterday so I am down for about a month. Never got a thanks either. Freaking quadtards.

I was feeling good too, riding better than ever. Passing 450 flatbill posers. One of these days I'll be lapping like you two guys. :ride:

I lOVE north Carolina. Got a link to vids you you Eric?

Yea I got a vid from a couple months ago.,http://www.trackactionvideo.com/video/, go on the page and click on video 4 on Tuscarora MX 5-18-08. My race starts 15 seconds into the video, I am the tall guy on the YZ250, with yellow gear.

My son who is 15 , 145lbs pulls a 14/48 gearing on his yz144 , thats one tooth bigger on the front than STD. He Races against 250F and is always in the top 5 at the first turn.( On his 125 , he would be approx 10th against the same competition). I would have no hesitation dropping 2 teeth off the back sprocket if your rider is under 150lbs.