Odd action on DRZe shock

I'm slowly turning my cheapo DRZe into a keeper and it's time to turn to the suspension. I'm 193 naked so I know I need heavier springs front and rear. But - when I sit on the bike the rear compresses normally for 2-3" and then seems to abruptly get much stiffer. Feels like I'm bottoming out when I'm nowhere near actually bottoming out. I'm wondering if the swingarm and other suspension components are rusty/worn and need to be replaced. I'll find out when I tear it apart but just wondering if that's a common characteristic when rebuild is needed?

Thanks

Dean

The shock is not all that complicated, but is much easier once you have done a few.

For sure you would have to find a shop to charge the shock.. Most only get a few bucks to do so.

If your not sure, then send it off to a suspension shop. The shock is Small enough it can be sent via mail to any shop you want. John Curea of MX-Tech East Coast Suspension is a good choice if you want to go non local.

Dam - I'm just getting my 2000 DRZ E out of storage and the suspension is doing something similar. It still has a fair bit of travel but reaches a point where it seem to suddenly get tougher.

Could that be normal or is it same as above?

I was going to borrow somebody to help lean on the rear to see if it will go past this stiff point - could that cause harm?

Yeh, that was my plan. I was going to wind out the spring and force the full travel of the shock while still on the bike. Don't think I'm going to need to now.?

After whipping off he CRD tail pipe to fit my MCCT I noticed that this newly installed pipe is fowling on the rear spring. ? I put the seat back on and jumped on her a few times and the travel seems to be back to how it should be - so for me I think it was the external obstruction causing the issue.

I'll reassemble it after work and if needed the tail pipe tube will be gaining a dent to give more clearence:bonk:

I didn't notice the OP mentioning anything about the condition of the shock linkage & swing arm bearings. It's cheap and easy to clean, inspect, and re-lube all your bearings & bushings to ensure nothing is corroded and binding.

If it's me you mean then yes, the linkages were very dry. The grease was turning to oil and dripping out of some of them. I tried quickly to removed the main trailing arm bolt but no joy - way too tight. So for now I just forced grease into the nipples. I can tell you now that this hadn't been done much in the past.

I've owned the bike for a few years now but haven't ridden very often and not in bad/wet conditions. Each grease point took what seemed like a maximum amount of grease to fill the channels. I must have emptied half of my grease gun into them!

I'll keep an eye on it after the exhaust is refitted but in a few months I plan a massive maintenance session and that's when the rear suspension will be broken down and inspected.