Sign in to follow this  

Im Ready to move up! What should I get?

Ok guys, ive been riding my 2007 YZ250F for about a year now and im ready to move up to a 450F. No I do not want a 2 stroke. What brand should I buy? All I ride is the track so I dont want a WR or anything, I want a bike that is reliable and easy to maintain, but at the same time performs excellent on the track. I've been told that the CRF450R is a top choice aswell as the RMZ-450, what do you guys think? Am I wrong? I dont think I would go Yammy again just because it hasent been the most reliable bike, but should i go Kawi, Honda, or Suzuki?

Thanks for your input

~Jesse

CRF did have problems with titanium coated valves. Many riders have chance them to steel valves, which are good.

just stick with yami?

they are reliable if u maintain them properly...

Any experience with the RMZ? why the KXF or CRF?

I loved how the kxf runs it seems to me that it had more power in the mid range of the power which i just loved. The crfs are great bikes also once switched over to ss valves. The rmz is great also, but i just liked the kxf more than the rmz. Your best bet would be hop on some of your buddys 450s and see what you like the best, because different bikes work for different people.

Ok guys, ive been riding my 2007 YZ250F for about a year now and im ready to move up to a 450F. No I do not want a 2 stroke. What brand should I buy? All I ride is the track so I dont want a WR or anything, I want a bike that is reliable and easy to maintain, but at the same time performs excellent on the track. I've been told that the CRF450R is a top choice aswell as the RMZ-450, what do you guys think? Am I wrong? I dont think I would go Yammy again just because it hasent been the most reliable bike, but should i go Kawi, Honda, or Suzuki?

Thanks for your input

~Jesse

I recently went from a crf 250 to a crf 450. I stuck with the Honda because the maintenance procedures were similar between the two and because a lot my friends have Hondas and claim they are best. All opionions of course.

Check out some of the shootouts in some of the popular mx mags.

Brand loyalty aside, I would get whatever I could get the best deal on as they are all good bikes.

ps, if you do end up deciding on a Honda, get a 06 or newer.

I want a bike that is reliable and easy to maintain,

Can you define that? Do you do your own work? Guys I know that race put new top ends in thier 4 strokes every 20 hours. To me that is neither reliable or easy to maintain. I am not sure any one brand is better than the others in that respect. I hear people say Yamahs are better than the others at reliability.

Just pick a color. The differences between them are minimal at best.

everyone has opinions, everyone has favorites.

Can you define that? Do you do your own work? Guys I know that race put new top ends in thier 4 strokes every 20 hours. To me that is neither reliable or easy to maintain.

That is near national level racing use. I have a buddy who is a fast intermediate and races regularly who did valves on his CRF450 after 72 hours. Since TS is moving up from a 250F after only a year of track riding, he is likely not going to be very hard on the bike.

Yamaha have a solid reputation for valves and top ends, but clutches are somewhat weak. The 2008's handle pretty well, while the 06 had a bad mid corner push and the 07 a moderate push. They are pretty light and easy to throw around as 450's go. Stock suspension is the best in the class.

The Honda's have a reputation for soft valves, but the clutches are good. They handle well, but are not as light feeling as the Suzuki or Yamaha. Stock suspension is pretty bad and needs work.

The Suzuki is the best handling, but the weakest power-wise. Also a weak clutch. Decent suspension, but soft if you are a big rider. 08's have EFI and they have had reliability issues (not the EFI, mechanical ones). Pre-08's have a 4 speed transmission if that bothers you.

The Kawasaki has the most power, decent handling and decent suspension. A Pro Circuit suspension link helps out handling and suspension performance.

As mentioned, they are all pretty solid, with their individual quirks and problems. Do some reading and see which one you think will suit you the best.

Mark

The Kawasaki has the most power,

is this from a seat of the pants test or dyno? every dyno I've seen for the 250's and 450's show that honda has the edge over all bike in power.

What was not reliable about your Yamaha? I'm very curious.

Well, i bought a 2006 yz250f from the dealer and a week in, it leaned out and the engine was shot, so the dealer gave me the other one they had, a 2007. Also, mine burns oil very fast for some reason, it might just be me, but i dont think that they are very reliable, for me at least. i also find it hard to get at the oil filter because the pipe is in the way

I would recomend a honda or yamaha. i ride a crf250 and its an 04 and it has been very relible and i have never had a problem and i just do the regulare check list on it (oil tranny rad. ect...) and it runs great, but i would like to get a 06 yamaha 450 but im not ready yet, so i recomend crf or yzf.

is this from a seat of the pants test or dyno? every dyno I've seen for the 250's and 450's show that honda has the edge over all bike in power.

I am thinking more of the 06 and 07's, and maybe more on the delivery than actual power. So that would be seat of the pants. Kawi tamed the 450 some for 08 to make it easier to ride.

Mark

actually, the kawi sin't the most pwoer (although the most powerful in the OP's list of makes), the KTM makes the most pwoer, with the husky a very close second (52.6 and 52.2 respectivly), the honda is the least powerful 08 450 with only 47 HP, the RM-Z latter made 49 HP on the same dyno as this comparison was conducted on.

(just keep in mind, every dyno measures differantly, you can only use readings taken off of the same dyno under similar conditions for a comparison)

450MXdynograph.jpg

however, the honda won this shootout, all testers liked the suspention and handleing, the KM came a close second being held back only by the rear shock, but being noted as having the best engine, brakes and all round egro's, as well as posting the fastest lap times with an experianced rider (honda was the fastest with less experianced riders), the RMZ was noted as having a very strong, liniar (almost electric smooth) power delivery and being very responsive, and excelent handling.

Thanks for all the input guys

Have you decided?

IMHO The deal would be the tie breaker on any of the Jap bikes.