XR70 Grips

No, the problem is the length. 70 grips are the right diameter but shorter than standard mx grips. If you really need to change them this will allow you to run standard MX grips from now on......

http://www.fast50s.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=98&cat=1&page=1

Or you can buy an aftermarket plastic complete throttle assembly, but it will likely need a new cable also, since the stock 70 one won't work usually. The throttle tube in the above like fits right on with the stock 70 housing and cable. It's just longer to accomodate standard length grips.?

That would work fine.? The stock throttle tube has a closed end, so that obviously would need to be opened up. Any bar end for steel bars should work. Steel bars have a thinner wall thickness than aluminum bars, so this makes the inner diameter larger.

Also I've taken new grips and just sectioned out the center by the amount needed and glued them on as 2 seperate pieces. This way you won't have an open end on the grips.?

I seem to remember seeing aftermarket grips for 70's announced as a new product in Mini Moto magazine although they may have been for the smaller stock 50 bars (can't remember--old age sucks!). I gave away all my magazines last year so I can't give you the manufacturer's name. If they were for the 70 they may have never actually made it into production, though--the motorcycle industry has always been good at releasing photos and information of new products that were never actually released to the public. They send out press releases to test the market for response before actually going into production and if no one responds they don't build them.

Anyone have all the Mini Moto mags and want to confirm or disprove this??

If they aren't available I'd do like everyone else suggests and just cut down a "normal" set and add handguards.

Do they make aftermarket grips for the stock XR70? The originals are terrible.

Thanks!

I love and run the 70 grips on all of my 50's !

I really want ta put em on my 110 too , but I just can't bring myself to cut down the throttle tube down just yet . :ride:

If the ultra hardness of those grips is what your hate'n about them ?

Have you tried the ones that come on the 2007 + 2008 models ? I think they are much softer than previous years .

• Like 1

I love and run the 70 grips on all of my 50's !

I really want ta put em on my 110 too , but I just can't bring myself to cut down the throttle tube down just yet . :ride:

If the ultra hardness of those grips is what your hate'n about them ?

Have you tried the ones that come on the 2007 + 2008 models ? I think they are much softer than previous years .

It's the hardness of the grips and lack of grippiness that is the problem.

I never really checked on the 07/08 models as far as being better than the 01's. Thanks for the info!!