Sign in to follow this  

Anyone here been disappointed after riding a more "High Performance" bike

Hi.

To clarify I mean were you disappointed with the other bike NOT with the DRZ

Over the past couple months I have had a chance to ride a few bikes that would be considered higher performance than my KLX400SR (the green DRZ400S).

One was an RMZ250 set up for woods and the other was a KLX450R. Don't get me wrong they were both lighter and more nimble then my bike but:

- I found the RMZ to be really vibey. Yes it was light and fast for a 250cc but I felt totally disconnected from the bike

- The KLX450R was certainly faster but felt really vague to me and a bit rough as it revved up.

Last weekend I went on a ride on a hare scrambles course. It was a fun ride but most of us were riding like it was a race. The woods were super tight but I was so impressed with my bike. Great traction on the slippery/rooty ruts. Yes it's heavy as hell and my arms are sore but so be it.

I think the thing that stands out most with the DRZ400/KLX400 is that you feel every power pulse as it hooks up and thrusts you forward. The engine is just so smooth and tractable compared to anything else I have ridden. Much of my enjoyment of a bike is linked to feel and these heavy beasts feel good.Granted I have never ridden a big 4stroke Husky, KTM WR etc

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

Husquvarna 510smr - Light, powerful, but really viby through the bars and i'm not a fan!

KTM 690 SMC - So powerful its scary! :thumbsup:

I had to quit riding my friends bikes... it made it too hard to get back on my bike and finish the trail.

Do this. Take one of the bikes you mentioned and go for a ride into town, hit the highway while you are at it. Go adventure touring, load the bike up with everything including the 'kitchen sink'.To fairly compare a bike you must do so under all applicable circumstances it will be used on. Otherwise, it's like say a GSXR is a slug compared to a turbo drag racing 'Busa.

The DRZ was designed to be a dual sport, the bikes you compared it to are pure off road.

When I picked up my CRF450R I had a new name for the Z "grandpa" Everyone I know goes through this. There is much you can do to make a DRZ rip. I have a stock crf250r in my shed that pushes about 4 more HP than a stock Z. It's a great bike but if your into snaping, whipin, jumping and just going nutts you really are getting jewed on the DRZ. Unless you put a few bucks into it. I went pretty far with mine and it's really fast. But I figured 500-1500 bucks can get you moving like a slightly faster whip. :thumbsup:

William 1.

I was talking more about the feel of the other bikes. I know the RMZ and the KLX450R are pure offroad bikes and that is how I was evaluating them.

I just found both of them very vague feeling compared to mine. This is all in the context of an offroad ride.

OK I NEED TO CLARIFY.

I didn't mean disappointed in the DRZ. I meant did you feel disappointed with the other bike.

I'm the same way, I trust and know the DRZ just as good as my mom. On a more agressive bike, :thumbsup: When u smooth out ur throttle wrist and get used to the hard sleek seat and really start to feel the way a bike grips and turns and you push it to it's limit as it does the same for you, and then you get back on a Z you will feel like you got out of your car and got into a pick up truck. More agressive bikes take more of a rider and more time to rock.

I just had a chance to try KTM EXC 530 motarded with race exhaust, jetting etc. I turned it down because I'd probably go for the EXC after that test run. Now I'm saving up for 690 SMC and I won't test it before I have the money in the bank account so the waiting won't feel so long.

If I want to sit down and haul ass through the woods with confidence, I love my 03 drz400e. If I want to stand up and get a seriously scary workout, I take the crf450 out. All around, I love the Z. it's my favorite bike yet. It's pretty comfy while still being pretty capable.

I just got to ride a 530 exc non SM and loved it. I love the DRZ but that 530 made it look like nothing.

I have to agree that the Z is a nice bike and feels really good and predictable and I can always jump on it and ride and never have to adjust. :thumbsup:

OK I NEED TO CLARIFY.

I didn't mean disappointed in the DRZ. I meant did you feel disappointed with the other bike.

Well, that is kind of my point too. :thumbsup:

Most bikes are designed to fulfill a need. And even then, two bikes, designed for the same purpose, ridden by two different riders may also return opposite results. A handling quirk on one bike is relished by one rider and hated by another.

The DRZ is a very stable platform. But this also means it is not as manuverable or light on its' toes. Some riders would savoir the stability, others spend thier time wrestling with it.

I have a WR250F that I ride off road. For me, off road, the DRZ is too stable a bike. Heck, even the WR is little too stable but I had to make concessions to enable plating the machine.

others spend thier time wrestling with it.

I have a WR250F that I ride off road.

EXACTLY... I'm always the tailgunner because i'm the slowest. After a nice sandy whoop section I'll pull up to the group who are waiting for me and I'm sweating worse than a food stamper writing a bad check. [They are pretty tolerant (two of them had DRZ's in the past) and usually don't make too much fun of me.]

Sure, a lot of it is due to the fact that I'm fat and out of shape... but man, I hop on my buds WR250 and hit the same trail and its like going from a clapped out mother of four to a teenage cheerleader.

I certainly agree with everyone on the light and nimble part. All of the other bikes I have ridden have the DRZ beat there.

I think its the DRZ engine that I really appreciate after those other rides. No it won't compete in stock form with the 450s but it has plenty of power for the woods of the east and its smooth and tractable. Now if only I could get that nice reliable/smooth DRZ engine in a light nimble chassis = dream bike with low maintenance.

......I'm sweating worse than a food stamper writing a bad check....

You crack me up! Almost makes me feel bad from mentioning your name in a oil thread.......

I certainly agree with everyone on the light and nimble part. All of the other bikes I have ridden have the DRZ beat there.

I think its the DRZ engine that I really appreciate after those other rides. No it won't compete in stock form with the 450s but it has plenty of power for the woods of the east and its smooth and tractable. Now if only I could get that nice reliable/smooth DRZ engine in a light nimble chassis = dream bike with low maintenance.

If I was going on an all day dual sport, the DRZ is the bike to be on, no question. If I am hitting the woods to make a fool of myself (a very easy task) then the WR is the mount of choice. On the DRZ, I am perfectly happy to putt along. On the WR, I want to wring its' heart out. I'll do things on the WR I'd never try to do on the DRZ. But I get off the WR soaked in sweat, the DRZ, cool and collected. Different biles for different riding.

Hey William1.

How do you find the WR when it comes to maintenance? I have heard form some others that Yamahas tend to be a bit less maintenance intensive than the other racing four strokes

Well, I do not put that many hours on it, maybe 1 a week on average. Got the bike in December 07 (it is an 08), only oil changes to date. I rarely am on the limiter with it, if I had to guess, I'd say my typical engine speeds are between 3,000 and 7,000 rpm. The WR has it easy. I figure it will be a long time before I do anything to it of any significance.

I have always liked Yamahas and have always felt they made a very high quality bike. In a heart beat, if they made a SM based on the WR450, that bad boy would be in my garage.

A crf450x of a buddy , very nice bike but you can not use it for daily commuter , pretty nice power although !