Getting my 2003 Head Rebuilt at Honda

I need a valve job on my 2003 CRF450R. I'm dropping it off at Honda to have them take a look. If the valves/seats can be recut, should I go that route, or should I spend the money on kibblewhite SS valves? Would the SS be more robust (i.e. last longer)? Is there anything else that can be done to get a stock head to last longer?

Personnaly I woudn't take it to Honda. They are usually expensive $$$$$$$? . There are a few people on here that can rebuild your head better and cheaper. I think Ron Hamp or Agent Smith are probably the best. JMO

On a side note, if the head is worn out upgrade to an 06 head, it has better valves.

• Like 1

Personnaly I woudn't take it to Honda. They are usually expensive $$$$$$$? . There are a few people on here that can rebuild your head better and cheaper. I think Ron Hamp or Agent Smith are probably the best. JMO

On a side note, if the head is worn out upgrade to an 06 head, it has better valves.

Will the 06 head bolt on to an 03 cylinder? Will the carb & exhaust from an 03 connect OK to a 06 head?

What makes the 06 heads/valves better?

The seat material is different from what I have been told. It's a pretty common upgrade. The new head is only $230. I would contact Agent Smith or Ron Hamp and they could give you the exact details.

Depending on what dealer you go to, the quality of work may be good or bad. I see your from VA. I take my heads to Shenandoah Honda in Winchester VA. They aren't your typical dealer. They all race and they have a complete machine shop along with dyno. They will inspect the head and replace whatever is needed and use either OEM or aftermarket valves depending on your preference.

I've found after using the SS valves in my 02,05 and 06 CRFs, they don't seem to last any longer than stock.

Depending on what dealer you go to, the quality of work may be good or bad. I see your from VA. I take my heads to Shenandoah Honda in Winchester VA. They aren't your typical dealer. They all race and they have a complete machine shop along with dyno. They will inspect the head and replace whatever is needed and use either OEM or aftermarket valves depending on your preference.

I've found after using the SS valves in my 02,05 and 06 CRFs, they don't seem to last any longer than stock.

I agree w/ you on Shenandoah Honda. Unfortunately, during the week I'm up in the Pittsburgh area. I'm having the head looked at at Tom Clark MotorSports in Belle Vernon PA. Anyone have experience w/ them?