Sign in to follow this  

Couple of quick weekend mods...

It was too hot to work outside this weekend so I did some tinkering on my L.

I installed my new Ken Sean folding mirrors and they are GREAT! (my stock ones ended up wrapped around a tree) These fold in and down - completely out of the way. At highway speeds, there is little or no vibration.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=63368

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=63369

Then I decided to build an aluminum guard to keep the gear shift lever from punching a hole in the case when I drop it. I bought a piece of 1/8" aluminum stock from my local home improvement center. After cutting it down to size and beveling the top edge, I glued it on with JB Weld.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=63372

I took my bike up to the ORV park and beat it pretty hard.:thumbsup:

The folding mirrors worked great and the JB Weld held firm.:thumbsup:

It was a pretty good weekend!:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Cool, I noticed that just the use of the gear lever is grinding a valley in the side of my casing....although I've lowered the position recently.

Nice mod!

Nice metal work on the case! Unfortunately I didn't know anything about this design "flaw" for lack of a better term when I bought my bike. After reading the boards here at TT, I went out and did a once over on my bike and noticed the PO did a hack job on fixing the hole he had already punched in the case. It works decently but slowly leaks after a while of driving. This winter (while it's parked) I'll be replacing the cover and getting the MSR shifter (along with a new pipe, dave's mods, etc).

Nice metal work on the case! Unfortunately I didn't know anything about this design "flaw" for lack of a better term when I bought my bike. After reading the boards here at TT, I went out and did a once over on my bike and noticed the PO did a hack job on fixing the hole he had already punched in the case. It works decently but slowly leaks after a while of driving. This winter (while it's parked) I'll be replacing the cover and getting the MSR shifter (along with a new pipe, dave's mods, etc).

Just take it to a local weld shop and have them TIG the hole up...Should cost about $20. Then dremel it back smooth. New cover is $100...

Get an MSR shifter.

There's one thing I don't like about the MSR shifter - it has to be positioned a little lower than I like it or it won't go into gear. It's not too bad when wearing shoes or hiking boots but the MX boots really have to stretch down low.

Has anyone modified the MSR lever?

Great write up. I am heading to Lowe's for a piece of aluminum right now. Thanks. Gas is in order here. :thumbsup:

Just take it to a local weld shop and have them TIG the hole up...Should cost about $20. Then dremel it back smooth. New cover is $100...

Good idea. In my quest to find as many possible routes to work as possible on my bike, I ran across a welding shop yesterday. Maybe I'll stop by there and see if they can patch it up. Should I have the old shiz removed or can they just weld right over top of it (I think it's patched with jb weld)?

:thumbsup:

personally I like having the weak point of the stock shifter. Better than breaking something internal. I've bent mine back a few times. Put a guard on your case and call it good. The offset with the MSR shifter is annoying.

There's one thing I don't like about the MSR shifter - it has to be positioned a little lower than I like it or it won't go into gear. It's not too bad when wearing shoes or hiking boots but the MX boots really have to stretch down low.

...u can't just move it up one spline??? :thumbsup:

mine is just about level with my footpeg and have it setup for MX boots...i have to adjust my shifting in lessor boots/shoes.

also i'm planning on grinding the footpeg brackets a bit more to get them closer to level which lowers the pegs a bit...

:thumbsup:

I had the same thing. I eventually got used to it and dont even notice it now.

Nice work. :thumbsup:

BTW, what in the Sam Hill happened to the knobs on your front tire? :thumbsup:

I was really hoping no one would notice that.:thumbsup:

About every other knob is worn down. I had the D606 balanced, too.:thumbsup:

I've got a new set of MEFO knobbies on order that are supposed to arrive today.:bonk:

I was really hoping no one would notice that.:thumbsup:

About every other knob is worn down. I had the D606 balanced, too.:thumbsup:

I've got a new set of MEFO knobbies on order that are supposed to arrive today.:thumbsup:

Lol---I know---the shame of it all! :bonk:

It almost looks deliberate due to the pattern, like a rider might do for a special course, etc. Must be an odd oscillation with that tire and the roads in your area.

Hope the MEFO's work out for you. I still have some MT21's that are holding up. :thumbsup: