Sign in to follow this  

sm lightened flywheel

i have done a search and noticed that it would be a nice advantage to have the lighter flywheel for my sm and that tt store has the trailtech one that is 5oz lighter than stock. my question is has anyone used the one from wheeling cycle supply? they say theres is 12oz lighter than stock and since most say the flywheel is overweight even at 5oz lighter thean it seems this one would be better. is this the case or is there a catch to using this flywheel i saw some older posts about the older trailtechs burning up the stator i believe and dont want to have any of those issues.

The 12oz lighter is for the LTZ I believe...the DRZ is lighter than the LTZ to begin with, so that is where the 7oz difference is.

Just to let you know.....

the LTZ and DRZ use the indentical stock flwheel.
2004 DRZ

Part Number: 32102-29F00

Description: ROTOR, MAGNETO

Source: SUZUKI

Price: $228.51

2004 LTZ

Part Number: 32102-07G00

Description: ROTOR ASSY

Source: SUZUKI

Price: $228.51

ok well the flywheel is under the drz400 special items page so i would imagine its for a drz not an ltz. so im back to where i started

LTZ flywheels fit the DRZ, so no reason it wont work the other way round.

this has gotten a little off the point. i wasnt asking about a ltz flywheel i was asking about the wheeling cycle supply flywheel and wanting to know if someone has used it. it says its 12oz lighter than a stock drz flywheel. just wanted to know if anyone has used one or knows anything about them

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop?action=category&cat_id=96&offset=10

Forrest sells the Trail Tech flywheel for the DRZ. Look at the little manufacturer tag: It says "by Trail Tech."

Forrest said the light flywheel made a difference in his DRZ. And I don't remember what that difference was. I've a new one; just haven't installed it yet.

What all is involved in replacing a flywheel - not all the details but can a weekend hacker mechanic manage the job or is it best left to a shop? Does it involve or require any other parts (gaskets,etc.)

I imagine without the reciprocating mass, the snap would be better but the off-throttle engine braking would also be harsher?!

Has anybody installed this trailtech on an SM? Comments / reactions??

Forrest sells the Trail Tech flywheel for the DRZ. Look at the little manufacturer tag: It says "by Trail Tech."

Forrest said the light flywheel made a difference in his DRZ. And I don't remember what that difference was. I've a new one; just haven't installed it yet.

thanks for the info i guess i didnt look all that close at the add but why does it say 12oz lighter when the one in the tt store is 5oz lighter???:thumbsup:

I've had a lightened flywheel on my E for a couple years, spins up way faster with very little loss of that DRZ tractor uphill grunt. I consider it money well wasted:thumbsup:

What all is involved in replacing a flywheel - not all the details but can a weekend hacker mechanic manage the job or is it best left to a shop? Does it involve or require any other parts (gaskets,etc.)

I have one on my s model, it is an ok addition for the cost.

What you will need to do this yourself is the drz specific flywheel puller. Good luck

let me ask this

why havent the big 3 ( eddie- welly- nobel - and that army guy ) not reply to this thread

it is a good question

it could be one of those parts that sounds good in theary but works like poop in real life

i know what the flywheel does and i know its a benefit i just want to know why wheeling cycle sells a 12oz lighter than stock flywheel and tt store sells a 5oz lighter than stock flywheel and who has which one and if the 12oz lighter than stock flywheel actually exists or if its labeled wrong

i know what the flywheel does and i know its a benefit i just want to know why wheeling cycle sells a 12oz lighter than stock flywheel and tt store sells a 5oz lighter than stock flywheel and who has which one and if the 12oz lighter than stock flywheel actually exists or if its labeled wrong

i would contact trailtech & ask them. seems like you're going in circles here.

the trailtech flywheel is the only lightened flywheel that ive ever seen or herd of for the drz/ltz.it is definitly worth the money.makes my sm rev much quicker(i only wish trailtech could make even a lighter one)

i believe the 5oz lighter is a misprint.it should say 8oz lighter.the ltz fltwheel from what ive read here is heavier than the drz flywheel.the trailtech is 120z lighter than the ltz flywheel..if you do some searches there are some pics of the trailtech vs a stock drz flywheels on a scale

There is no way you'll shag rotating mass like that and not benefit in some free HP. But in my experience, you have to go extreme to notice a significant gain. The HP you gain won't come at one particular hit...it'll be spaced across the entire power band and may be as little as 1/4HP. But unlike some other mods that are only felt 7000+ rpm, this should be something you'll notice even if you putt around.

As long as you stay realistic about the gains, it's probably worthwhile, but I wouldn't expect some major transformation.

P.S. I would consider it because anytime you can get more HP to the wheel without putting further strain on the motor is a good thing IMO.

You don't gain ANY HP by putting a lighter flywheel on. You are simply moving the torque curve around. The motor still makes the same amount of power, the flywheel is just slowing down how quickly it builds that power. Heavier flywheels are good for low end torque, lighter are good for mid to upper end power, and will require you to slip the clutch a little more off the line. I promise you there is no horsepower gained by chanching your flywheel.