Sign in to follow this  

silver lake sand dunes questions

I am thinking about going up to Silver Lake sand dunes and had a few questions I have dirt bike would you reccommend a paddle tire? What is the deal with the vouchers to park it seems like you need to get there the night before to get one?

I have a 2006 wr 250 and a 2008 KTM XC 250W 2 stroke I am thinking the KTM would be the better bike but it does not have a spark arrestor so I will need to get one if I take that bike. Are there alot of bike there or is it a quad fest?

The KTM will be a better bike out there but yes you will need a spark arrestor. HP rules in the sand.

As for a paddle you dont need one but will have more fun with one. A good fresh knobby will do you well out there. If you do go paddle run the rear tire as far back as you can (add link to chain if you have to) and remove the shock mud flap. The flap will get tore up by the paddle if you leave it on.

As for the vouchers they only use those on the busy weekends. If your there on an off weekend or during the week you probably wont have a problem. If its not that busy you can get the voucher and get right in line to get in.

The main reason they did this is to keep from having a mile long line (litterly) trying to get into the dunes. When its super busy they give you a voucher with a time that you can get into the dunes. Cuts down on the lines.

Another tip is if you can, put the bikes in the back of a truck and put a flag and orv sticker on the truck and drive the truck straight into the dunes and park at the beach. If you dont need to park at the parking lot you can get in much quicker. You can easily get in there with most 4x4 trucks. Just let the air down to say 8-10 lbs and your good to go. If you do put them in the truck make sure to tie the back tires down otherwise they will bounce around back there.

Another tip is if you can, put the bikes in the back of a truck and put a flag and orv sticker on the truck and drive the truck straight into the dunes and park at the beach. If you dont need to park at the parking lot you can get in much quicker. You can easily get in there with most 4x4 trucks. Just let the air down to say 8-10 lbs and your good to go. If you do put them in the truck make sure to tie the back tires down otherwise they will bounce around back there.

I have also never seen them sound check a bike in the back of a truck if you might be a little over. The funny thing is that bikes are held to 96 dbA but there are sand rails and trucks out there that are so loud that you can't hear the bike your sitting on.

Isnt that funny? I wonder why?

There are a ton of quads out there. I havent ever been into the park myself, but I drive through that town a lot (Mears) and you can see the quads at the entrance. Its def. more work on a bike to ride in the sand, which is why I expect most people bring quads.

Have fun!

I hated riding in sand until after my first trip to silver lake. You get used to it pretty quickly on a bike.

Every time ive been there its been a pretty good mix of trucks, sand rails, quads, and bikes. I wouldnt say mostly quads.

As for the vouches no one mentioned to make sure you get the right one. There is one for the parking lot and one for "dune ready" dune ready means you take your vehicle out to the dunes to park. The shop next door has a pump to refill the tires.

As for a paddle the first few times i didnt have one then i borrowed a buddys paddle for a trip and it was alot more fun.

oh ya dont forget youll need a flag too.

I have also never seen them sound check a bike in the back of a truck if you might be a little over. The funny thing is that bikes are held to 96 dbA but there are sand rails and trucks out there that are so loud that you can't hear the bike your sitting on.

They dont check for sound DB(Never seen it), they do check for a spark arrestor all the time and will send you packing if you dont have one.

Parking with a trailer on the weekend sucks. You need to park a car in a line that starts in the morning and starts to move around 9pm at night when a cop takes you to the DNR office for the parking pass. This pass has two times (7am(and 8am)the next morning), you must be there at that time and setup your trailer and bikes. You can start riding at 9AM.

Dont trailer a bike in if you can. I have even straped my bike to the back of my SUV on the trailer hitch and went slow to avoid parking in the lot.

NEED A FLAG, ORV Sticker for each vehicle, and state park pass for each vehicle. around $60.00 for each vehicle entering the parking lot or dunes.

where is silver lake dunes?

west Michigan. Right on the beach the dunes are pretty big along the shore line.