HRC BIG BORE KIT - does it work?

Hi guys,

this is Michael from Bavaria (that´s near Germany :thumbsup: ). I´m about to get me a XR400R with an HRC Big Bore Kit on 450ccm. Do you have any experience with that kind of big bore kit? Anything to look for when looking at the bike before buying it? I fell kind of in love with this bike, but as you all know, love can cause a lot of sorrow :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance!

Greetings.

The HRC kit is made by Honda for the XR400.

IMHO this would be the kit to buy since it's made by the company who built

the bike.

The HRC kit also includes some clutch and gearbox parts, right? Couldn´t find anything about it on the HRC site... :thumbsup:

One more thing: Does this kit really have 450cc? I always read about 440cc?

The HRC kit also includes some clutch and gearbox parts, right? Couldn´t find anything about it on the HRC site... :thumbsup:

One more thing: Does this kit really have 450cc? I always read about 440cc?

Is there really an HRC big bore kit for the XR400???:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If so, where can one find it? I haven't seen it written anywhere.

I highly doubt it's a true HRC kit you saw. Look out and ask for the specific parts numbers.

I thought the HRC kit was 416cc.

440cc kits require resleeving the cylinder.

HRC did make a kit for the 400. It has been out of production for some time now. They were very rare in the States. I am not sure if they were even imported here and some just "snuck" in.

HRC makes very high quality parts. If it is an actual HRC kit I sure wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I've had the HRC kit in my 650R for over five years with absolutely no issues what so ever.

Before I went to a 426cc Weisco, I bid and lost on ebay for a complete 416cc HRC kit.

Yes it included clutch parts, the basket I think, and the basic's. piston, rings sleeve, gaskets, clutch basket, instructions and HRC stickers

The kit auctioned out for over 4 bills, A deal now that I think about it for what it included.

HRC did make a kit for the 400. It has been out of production for some time now. They were very rare in the States. I am not sure if they were even imported here and some just "snuck" in.

HRC makes very high quality parts. If it is an actual HRC kit I sure wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I've had the HRC kit in my 650R for over five years with absolutely no issues what so ever.

How can I make sure that it is a real HRC-Kit? Any attribute due to which I can see if it´s an HRC or not? Please excuse my school-like english.

How can I make sure that it is a real HRC-Kit? Any attribute due to which I can see if it´s an HRC or not? Please excuse my school-like english.

So, from what I'm reading, there probably was an HRC kit for the XR4 (I sure would 've liked to get my hands on one, even for 4 bills that is..), but that was for 416cc. You mention 450cc for your bike, hence I highly doubt it's from HRC. Just my opinion.

Not sure exactly, as the HRC parts look almost identical to the OEM Honda parts because they are built by Honda.

I guess if you had a known stock cam and piston and tore the motor down to compare the parts side by side you may be able to tell. If the parts that were in the motor look stock, but the piston is larger and the cam has different lobe shapes, it is the HRC parts.

The other possible way would be if the parts had a part number inked or stamped on them. The HRC parts in my 650 all go with the NLB code as opposed to the MBN of the OEM 650 parts. The OEM code for specific 400 parts is KCY (I think) so if you popped off the rocker cover and saw an ink label on the cam or cam sprocket that said NLB you probably have a genuine HRC kit there. Provided that is the code for the HRC 400 parts also!

The problem is that the bike is not mine (yet) and I don´t think the seller will be pleased if I tore the engine apart before buying the bike :thumbsup: This hole thing seems kind of strange to me, I think I´ll try and find a different bike for me.

Still, thanks for help,everyone!

I have an HRC kit on my '96 XR400. I bought it from the local Honda dealer and installed it myself. The kit includes a high compression piston, (stock bore size), a cam, set up for low-end and mid-range, and a new clutch basket and primary gear that speeds up the tranny comared to the crank. It also includes a new spark plug that replacements must be special ordered. This kit does not increase the bore size at all.

It's was about $1,100 US. I ride woods mostly so the low end power gain suits me well. For track or desert riding I think one would rather have the higher rpm power band that most of the other cam mods give you.