Crf 100/150R Hybrid

Hi Guys,

Before I go any further, I want to thank all those who have contributed useful posts and info on mods that have wetted my interest in performing this recent project.

Summary- I wanted to make a bike for my 9 y/o that is not only great for "dirt-riding", but one that could be taken to the moto-x track as well. Truely a hybrid of what is offered for sale.

Mod. List:(from Ebay)

-2007 crf150r frame, wheels, basically everything.

-2001 CR85 forks and tripple-clamps.

-2007 CRF150F (24mm) carb., throttle.

-1998 xr100 engine, I rebuilt w/ BBR120 kit, rebuilt head.

-new xr80 front sprocket, 13 and 15,

-motor-mounts fabricated, and aligned

-custom carb intake manifold

-custom boot/plate made for airbox.

-Stock 150r pipe

-Special cdi unit

Had it running over the weekend, and my son had some good rides..broke it in real well. It sounds and runs perfect. Bottom end "feels" abit soft, as could be expected w/ the size of pipe. After breakin, I will rev it abit, to see what the top-end will be. The 13 tooth sprocket I have on is too low, 15 tooth coming.

I have problems w/ filings in the oil, and I believe it was residue from "before" still in the cases. I bought from ebay, and the top-end was trashed, so I hope that is where it is coming from.

I will post pics when I learn how to post them here and will answer any questions as well.

Cheers!

crf150rframe.jpg

Top rear mount DonsProject002.jpg

Bottom rear mount DonsProject003.jpg

Carb and manifold Jordans100R002.jpg

Airbox plate Jordans100R003.jpg

Airbox hose Jordans100R004.jpg

Assembly Jordans100R001.jpg

Happy boys Jordans100R009.jpg

Final Jordans100R012.jpg

i cant wait to see some pics!!!!!!!!!

Forks from a 6 year older bike are better? I would have thought the 150R would have the newestandimprovest.

:thumbsup: WE NEED SOME PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

I guess I did not explain fully that this bike was put together solely from Ebay parts, and misc fasteners/plastics from dealer. The forks were purchased for less than half the price 150R forks were going for, and they are "almost" indentical. The damping and spring rates are alittle more forgiving as well.

"Forks from a 6 year older bike are better? I would have thought the 150R would have the newestandimprovest."

OK, I'll buy that.

:thumbsup::rant::thumbsup: PICTURES :thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Jordans100R010.jpg

Looks Great!! So how did the intake mod work?

There is very little room there as you might imagine. I had two pieces machined, and I was going to connect w/ a chunk of hose, but there is no room. I then milled both down, angled down and to the left of the bike. Then welded them together.

A different style of carb would have likely made it easier.

D

SWEET:thumbsup:

It looks like the XR engine fits in thier like a glove.

And you where able to use the lower rear engine mount. Not clearance like the CR conversions.

Did you have any of the common issues that the CR conversions have. Interferences with fuel tank/cylinder head, and brake pedal/kick start?

Its also hard to see in the pics what you use for the air-box intake boot. Do you have any close ups?

I believe your the first XR100/150R conversion:worthy::thumbsup::worthy:

You've set the bench mark pretty high!!!:thumbsup:

Props bro!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk:

Nice Job:thumbsup:

Thanks for you comments.

The engine does fit like a glove, like it belongs there. For the airbox I had to find a radhose that had two 90's in it b/c it has to sweep away from the shock, then sweep back to the box.

The brake lever had to be bent in to clear the kickstart, as it was binding alittle. Right now, the issue is the kickstart, as you can only get 1/2 to 2/3 of a kick b/c of the footpeg. It is hard for my son b/c he can't get his leg up quite high enough. I may have to go to an xr200 lever or xl125?

Any suggestions?

The fuel petcock has about 1cm clearance to the valvecover.

It was still a frustrating project at times, but it was worth it to see my son ride it away w/ a big grin.

Cheers

SWEET:thumbsup:

It looks like the XR engine fits in thier like a glove.

And you where able to use the lower rear engine mount. Not clearance like the CR conversions.

Did you have any of the common issues that the CR conversions have. Interferences with fuel tank/cylinder head, and brake pedal/kick start?

Its also hard to see in the pics what you use for the air-box intake boot. Do you have any close ups?

I believe your the first XR100/150R conversion:worthy::thumbsup::worthy:

You've set the bench mark pretty high!!!:thumbsup:

Props bro!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk:

Nice Job:thumbsup:

Thanks for you comments.

The engine does fit like a glove, like it belongs there. For the airbox I had to find a radhose that had two 90's in it b/c it has to sweep away from the shock, then sweep back to the box.

The brake lever had to be bent in to clear the kickstart, as it was binding alittle. Right now, the issue is the kickstart, as you can only get 1/2 to 2/3 of a kick b/c of the footpeg. It is hard for my son b/c he can't get his leg up quite high enough. I may have to go to an xr200 lever or xl125?

Any suggestions?

The fuel petcock has about 1cm clearance to the valvecover.

It was still a frustrating project at times, but it was worth it to see my son ride it away w/ a big grin.

Cheers

I believe the XR200 kickers will work with minor grinding, for added clearance for the engine case. I use a older XR100 straight arm bottom swivel kicker for my CR conversion, it a had a small increase in throw (interference with foot peg, as well). The add benefit is that it's a little more tucked in away from the riders leg. I typically use a big bike four stroke starting routine, and slow kick through till BDC on the compression stroke, then kick to start. Its like second nature, I don't even realize I'm doing it. But, it helps with the short throw.

Kudos:thumbsup:

great job! if i were you i would take a gander at the old xr75 kickers, i find those do the job quite well

i tried one of those old xr75 kickstarters. it tucked into the frame real nice, but i could barely get any kick before it hit the foot peg, so i had to go back to stock xr100 kickstarter

Thanks for the tips guys.

I was having trouble bleeding the rear brakes, but a friend mentioned that I should try raising the calipers higher than the MS.

I did one better last night by removing the MS from the frame, and lowered it to the floor. I then pumped it up and bled the system. Shortly there after, I was successful.

So other than a sprocket change, the bike is done.

Now I can finally work on mine. lol

Nice!

your kids look happy!

Thanks for the tips guys.

I was having trouble bleeding the rear brakes, but a friend mentioned that I should try raising the calipers higher than the MS.

I did one better last night by removing the MS from the frame, and lowered it to the floor. I then pumped it up and bled the system. Shortly there after, I was successful.

So other than a sprocket change, the bike is done.

Now I can finally work on mine. lol

:thumbsup: Going to build another one:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: