Chain Guard '07 450 EXC Keep it? or Chuck it?

It (unlike the vent hoses screwing up the carb or the twin throttle cables) has nothing to do with litigation, it is about how long do you want your chain to last! Mud coming off the tire getting on top of the lower run of the chain kills the chain. So if you;

A: wana look like a MX star and chuck it to save several onces of weight that is fine but you need to buget another chain & sprocket set every year or so.

B: wana finish the ISDE or other long challengine rides or ride in a lot of mud leave it on.

I guarantee that KTM didn't put that on there because of customer demand. My guess is that b/c the bike is a dual sport, pants might be worn that are loose enough to get into the chain, hence the addition of the chain guard. I'm sure they also had to think of a rider getting mixed up with the chain/sprocket in a crash while riding on the road. Partly safety device, partly CYA insurance.

iphonepicsapr08045-1.jpg

It just seems to collect mud, brush and small animals. So whats the advantage of having it, is a street legal thing? Safety thing? Any thoughts?

jb

I'll take it if you don't want it. PM me and let me know what postage is going to cost.

The chain guards are only there for Euro and Aus to be street legal, its a safety thing to stop loose clothing catching in the chain... Id say they were a must in many of your states for rego too... Even though you need them here to meet Australia Design Rules, most people just remove them anyway as they tend to collect mud and flop around, cops wont usually book you for not having them, unless you get the ones that have no idea.

my vote is to keep it on.Designed for enduros to help stop mud dumping on the chain from the tyre.Removed mine when bike was new for the "look"then read an article on what its design is for,refitted and it does stop heaps of mud on the chain dumping down from the tyre,so mines staying,plus it protects the swing arm from chain slap abit.

my vote is to keep it on.Designed for enduros to help stop mud dumping on the chain from the tyre.Removed mine when bike was new for the "look"then read an article on what its design is for,refitted and it does stop heaps of mud on the chain dumping down from the tyre,so mines staying,plus it protects the swing arm from chain slap abit.

Nothin stays on the chain at speed.

x20 like they said "CHUCK IT!" ?

On my older KTM the chain guard bent inward and suffered a heavy wear groove (hole) from tire rubbing. I eventually took it off.

On my new KTM, I removed the chain guard right away and have not noticed any abnormal chain wear or other problems over a years riding.

When I sell the bike in a few years, I will give it to next owner who may want it (or not).

• 14 years later...
On 7/22/2008 at 6:13 AM, Spring Goat said:

iphonepicsapr08045-1.jpg

It just seems to collect mud, brush and small animals. So whats the advantage of having it, is a street legal thing? Safety thing? Any thoughts?

jb

Keep it, it’s required to be roadworthy. I’m trying to get a mates FE 450 registered and I had to make one as I’ve never in my life seen one on an enduro bike before. Once you go through rego ect rip the ugly thing off. 

If you run any speed keep it, its a control device, 60 mm of chain slack is all over the place. You''ll notice both sides of the guard taking on wear.

Not only use and routinely replace those, but also run a TMD slider with side rail.

Edited by Spud786