Sign in to follow this  

need some advice on my cr 250 pleeeeease!

just bought a 2003 cr 250, mint condition, standard bike, the first guy done the odd race in it and owned it for a year, the second guy (who also seem to know what he was about around a 2 stroke) changed the piston and ring straight away with the one that came in the spares pack. he done a bit of leisure riding and that was about it, the bike has been sat up for the last three years without turning a wheel so i drained and changed everything inc new filter and oil. it started first kick, engine sounds great, very responsive, took it out up the road for a quick spin (1 - 2 min max, very easy) and the only thing that concerned me is that i noticed a trickle of oil from the end of the silencer and dripping from the exhaust joint (could be down to a bad joint), is this normal and if so how much would you expect? PS after much deliberation i used a 32:1 oil mix, think he had been using 40:1, i used motul 100% synthetic 2 stroke mix. (have i used too much thus causing this?)

any help would be appreciated as im totally new to 2 strokes, i ride an R1 and i can honestly say this thing frightened me:eek:

heart ruled my head when i saw it

DSC00805.jpg

That's normal. You might seal the joint up with high-temp silicone, and put some zip ties around the rubber joint piece. The 2-stroke "spooge" is all but unavoidable, unless you jet it on the lean side and never just putt around or trail ride with it. After about 20 hours the silencer packing gets soaked with spooge & it leaks out the joint- just keep the packing fresh.

cheers for the advice, ill check the packing tomorrow, prob full of oil:thumbsup:

sweeet looking ride...spend 75 bucks on a jd jet kit and get a good bike man to jet it and that will be the best 75 bucks you can spend:thumbsup:

cheers guys, stupid question, is that jet kit available in the uk??

I have the same bike. A couple of things you may want to do are:

I have the same bike. A couple of things you may want to do are:

dont keep me in suspense buddy:confused:

cheers guys, stupid question, is that jet kit available in the uk??

I honestly would not worry about the jetting kit. Being on the rich side is a safer way to go anyhow. I just pick up the Moose Racing four stroke silencer packing kit. It is twenty bucks and you get enough packing material to do about three or so repacks. As long as the bike isnt mechanically having problems I would roll with it.

If you were to make any changes at all I would drop the needle one position. That actually means raise the clip so the needle goes down further. This will lean it out a bit. You have to be careful about leaning out your jetting too much. Fuel is a coolant of sorts for the bike and a lube. So if there is not enough you will create a bigger problem than just having spooge. Also, I would leave that joint the way it is. That lets all the excess goo out. Other wise you are going to start cooking that into the pipe. Makes a nasty build up.

I honestly would not worry about the jetting kit. Being on the rich side is a safer way to go anyhow. I just pick up the Moose Racing four stroke silencer packing kit. It is twenty bucks and you get enough packing material to do about three or so repacks. As long as the bike isnt mechanically having problems I would roll with it.

If you were to make any changes at all I would drop the needle one position. That actually means raise the clip so the needle goes down further. This will lean it out a bit. You have to be careful about leaning out your jetting too much. Fuel is a coolant of sorts for the bike and a lube. So if there is not enough you will create a bigger problem than just having spooge. Also, I would leave that joint the way it is. That lets all the excess goo out. Other wise you are going to start cooking that into the pipe. Makes a nasty build up.

a lot of good points there i didnt think off, esp the bit about the pipe joint, thanks:thumbsup:

I honestly would not worry about the jetting kit

I disagree. I have a little experience with jetting, and am mechanically inclined, and wasnt able to clean up the jetting on the mikuni by just raising/lowering the needle or changing the mains and pilots on my 2005.

With the stock needle it would rip my arms out when it got on the pipe.

If you are new to 2-strokes and havent jetted before, I highly recommend the JD kit for this bike, it is nearly a bolt on affair.

With the JD kit, it smoothed out the power from bottom to top making it much more predictable and rideable. There is still a slight bit of spooge, but packing is cheap and I havent fouled/replaced any plugs so far (around 300 miles+/-).

I disagree. I have a little experience with jetting, and am mechanically inclined, and wasnt able to clean up the jetting on the mikuni by just raising/lowering the needle or changing the mains and pilots on my 2005.

If you are new to 2-strokes and havent jetted before, I highly recommend the JD kit for this bike, it is nearly a bolt on affair.

With the JD kit, it smoothed out the power from bottom to top making it much more predictable and rideable. There is still a slight bit of spooge, but packing is cheap and I havent fouled/replaced any plugs so far (around 300 miles+/-).

the ulmanb is telling it like it is...the jd jet kit will clean up your problems:thumbsup: they also sale a rubber coupling with a s.s. band on ebay for the pipe/silencer joint and it works great:thumbsup:

I dont disagree with you one bit. But in this case we are talking about just trying to lessen the amount of spooge that he's getting from the current settings. So in this case the whole kit is not necissarily needed.

bitchen bike. Spooge is normal unless you jet it really lean. Just seal up the joint where the pipes meet and run a leaner mixture (40:1, 50:1-if your using synthetic) in the bike and repack the silencer, you shouldn't have as much spooge.

bitchen bike. Spooge is normal unless you jet it really lean. Just seal up the joint where the pipes meet and run a leaner mixture (40:1, 50:1-if your using synthetic) in the bike and repack the silencer, you shouldn't have as much spooge.

cheers man, have just changed the plastics and graphics, will get a pic up soon, so should i drain the existing fuel mix (32:1) out and replace with new mix 40:1? dont want to repack and get it sogging again ;) ps any easy way of removing the silencer end cap! mine feels as if its welded on :ride:

Jet your bike slightly lean and mix at whatever ratio you like. BTW, the difference between 32:1 and 40:1 is 0.8 ounces less oil per gallon. Not that much IMO. The Yamaha 2T section has a thread on "Is your 2 stroke running too rich?" at the top of the page. Words to live by for any smoker.:ride:

i have the 03' CR 250 and run a 40;1 mixture with motul and very very little to no oil after 80 mile rides