hand pains

hi guys, whenever i ride my bike within a mater of mintues i seem to be getting extreame hand pains especialy in my fore finger. I dont know whether this is arm pump or something else so ive put this thread up i the hope that someone else may suffer the same problem and hopefully have some advice on how to put off or totally avoid this problem. any sugestions?

I ride a few, but i have the same problems after i ride

Hey there,

I have similar problems but its not pain I feel its pins and needles!

My hand gos numb from the little finger first and spreads to the fore finger and thumb last, I roadrace aswell as ride dirt and it attacks me more when jumping on dirt but towards the end of a roadrace it screws up my last few laps as I cant even feel if I have my finger around the brembo master cylinder never mind how much Im pulling on it. As a result my lap times come down. I have heard explanations such as Carpel Tunnel syndrome, (not sure how to spell). Griping the bars too tightly or bad body position etc but I really havent got an answer yet as to what it really is and how to treat it.

I wonder if it is similar to your problem?

Trical, that sound like carpal tunnel syndrome.

Trical, that sound like carpal tunnel syndrome.

Hi Mark,

Yes I have been told that before, the entire side of my palm/hand go's numb after riding a while, the harder I ride the faster and more intense it gets and spreads!

How can I find out if it is carpal tunnel syndrome?

Hi Mark,

Yes I have been told that before, the entire side of my palm/hand go's numb after riding a while, the harder I ride the faster and more intense it gets and spreads!

How can I find out if it is carpal tunnel syndrome?

Usually the next course of action would be a nerve conduction study. This will pin point exactly what and where it is. Unless your doc doesn't need a NCS to clarify the diagnosis. This study is painless and only takes a few minutes. What do you think Dr. Mark?

I agree

Usually the next course of action would be a nerve conduction study. This will pin point exactly what and where it is. Unless your doc doesn't need a NCS to clarify the diagnosis. This study is painless and only takes a few minutes. What do you think Dr. Mark?

Guys what is an NCS? And can any Doc do it?

Nerve conduction studies. They are done by neurologists.

I have same problem, saw my local hand surgeon yesterday who did a physical exam of wrists and X-Rays to rule out arthritus and get insurance approval for NCS. NCS next week, will post results. Hoping for the quick surgery fix, riding is geting dangerous.

I had my NCS, I have CTS and see the surgeon this week. Question to all who have had CTS surgery in last 5 years, what was your recovery time and do you do both at once? Provided of course you have CTS in both wrists as I do. Thanks, really appreciate the feed back.

I had my NCS, I have CTS and see the surgeon this week. Question to all who have had CTS surgery in last 5 years, what was your recovery time and do you do both at once? Provided of course you have CTS in both wrists as I do. Thanks, really appreciate the feed back.

That's a matter of opinion from doctor to do surgery on both at the same time. That might be a little rough depending on what you do for a living and taking care of yourself too. Normally the recovery time is only a few weeks. If your doc recommends some OT (hand therapy), do so to make sure you have good ROM (range of motion) and strength to the area. Otherwise there is very little down time. But keep in mind that everyone reacts differently to surgery.