Sign in to follow this  

WOW Dyno tune on my CRF450R 2007 made it into a beast

My CRF450R 2007 was always hard to start. When it got hot forget it. You would have to bump start the bike. I talked to Randy at FastMann Racing and told me it was a rich condition. The valves were very close. Sometimes on the starting gate it would not fire (well 3 times but it &^%^$ed me off). I gave in, and had him DYNO tune the bike. Well all 7 or 8 carb circuits were rich. You know from closed to wide open throttle. He changed everything. Now the bike starts 1st kick 2nd when hot. :thumbsup: . I greatest thing is the increased power and instant throttle responce. He used the Dyno to clean up the jetting. The main is around 165 ish. Sorry I forgot to get the spec's, but that would not help anybody else's bike. They are all different. My bike went from getting sold this fall to the pride of the fleet. Anybody who can try a good Dyno tune & you will be a believer also. :thumbsup:

do you have any mods done to the bike or is it all stock?

MRD full exhaust system low to mid (with extra header mid - high). Boyseen quick shot 2 ported cylinder head. I run ready filters they are so much better to work with. One ride and done. Most of the money is in the Factory connection suspension. I also just had a fresh piston installed at the same time. You may not believe me, but I never asked for the horse power numbers. It does not matter to me. What was important was how the bike started and throttle responce. My 06 felt crisp and clean until I got my 07 corrected. My advantage is; a 3 bike base line to compair them to each other. Now the 06 has sluggish throttle responce. I put on the correct mains from the manuel and quick shots and it felt better. Not until somebody who does it right will you ever see how much you are missing. Thanks Randy FastMann Racing- I am sure Ron RHC (I think is the company) knows.

A dyno tune without HP numbers? Isn't that against the law in most states?

Nice. You probably could have bought a jetting kit or replace the jets with stock and gotten the same results, probably saving some $$$

I did get a jetting kit, and then messed it up. I am man enough to say I did not do it correctley. I had no clue how the changes were effecting the bike. No way to measure the changes. I post this to help other people who might have the same issue or been on the fence to getting it done. (Like my post on the Factory Connection rear link). The leak pilot, needle etc can be tuned with the correct equipment to see the changes. I can get the numbers, but on a 450 there is plenty of power. The porting was done local in Maryland. I would love to try Ron's work on a 450. A friend did and said it was fantastic, but that was on a 250F. At 210 lbs 250F's are a thing of the past. If you make to much power on a 450 lap times go up not down. They get harder to ride. My porting was to move the power to off idle thru mid range. That is were i like to ride. No over rev and long valve life on my bikes.

I did get a jetting kit, and then messed it up. I am man enough to say I did not do it correctley. I had no clue how the changes were effecting the bike. No way to measure the changes. I post this to help other people who might have the same issue or been on the fence to getting it done. (Like my post on the Factory Connection rear link). The leak pilot, needle etc can be tuned with the correct equipment to see the changes. I can get the numbers, but on a 450 there is plenty of power. The porting was done local in Maryland. I would love to try Ron's work on a 450. A friend did and said it was fantastic, but that was on a 250F. At 210 lbs 250F's are a thing of the past. If you make to much power on a 450 lap times go up not down. They get harder to ride. My porting was to move the power to off idle thru mid range. That is were i like to ride. No over rev and long valve life on my bikes.

From everybody Ive talked to that have ridden RHC's port, 187 and carb modded motors, the power is way broader than the OEM bike, and much much more abundant and easier to ride to boot. Rons 1/2 mile flat tracker 60+ HP beasts have a torque curve thats unbelievably flat. It has to be. Having the thing come on hard on corner exit, spin the tire hard and spitting you over the handle bars in a big ass high side really sucks at 80+

Everybody has messed up jetting. The beauty is figuring it out, and starting over and getting it right. Just remember, one change at a time.

Everybody has messed up jetting. The beauty is figuring it out, and starting over and getting it right. Just remember, one change at a time.

Yeah that is what I was afraid of and maybe why I haven't tried it yet.. and why I'll be happy to get an EFI model next time..

I have been quite sucsesfull @ getting good results on the dyno for ridability .when i get the air fuel close i then make runs in high gear and slow the engine down to the lowest rpm that i can crank the throttle wide open i dont care @that point what the hp readings are i just want to see how it reponds on the drum i keep working with the jets untill its the best it can be.some times we still have to make adjustments @ the track .Its amazing how fine changes can make a diference arena cross is a chalenge to get the carbs right .After you have a dyno i cant imagine what it would be like to start from scratch on a mod engine.

I know what you mean Ron, the dyno has become a very important tool of mine. don't know what I would do without.

Its funny about the one size fits all jet kits. the jets aren't even close in the ones I have saw. seeing how elevation, motor mods, & temperature affects jeting so much, it would be silly to think someone can sell you some magic jets that work in any situation.

i rarely make changes at the track,but it does happen.

when i first used a dyno with wideband in the early 90's the revelations i had were amazing.just figuring out everythig ever published on spark plug color was way off was crazy.

when you realize how far the jetting can be and the bike still "run ok" you realize why pervious to using the dyno some motors didnt seem to make the power they should.

my dyno gets near constant use.its a invaluable if any one is serious about tuning.