Sign in to follow this  

Stalling

Today i was on my bike and i got myself into a pretty sticky situation trying to get back up a hill and stalled out the bike like 20 times in 5 minutes. Can that damage my bike in any way starting it up so much in a short period of time? Thanks.

...other than wear and tear. You didn't mention if the bike is an e-start model or not. Using the starter that many times in short order can heat it up pretty good and also tax the battery. But, other than that, just wear and tear is the issue, with things like the clutch taking the biggest beating. If you were kick-starting the bike that many times, you might end up snapping off the lever at the spline due to metal fatigue.

Funny, sometimes with my SRX600 streetbike, if it doesn't start on the first couple of kicks (like it usually does), it will take me about 35 kicks (!!) to get the thing going. I always worry that the kickstarter is going to give up, but it never has.

yeah its only electric start(TTR 250). Also, if you put the bike into a lower gear and your going to fast for that gear when you let go of the clutch can that damage your bike? This is my first bike and i only got it yesterday so i dont know much. Thanks.

Also, if you put the bike into a lower gear and your going to fast for that gear when you let go of the clutch can that damage your bike?

Yes, you can mechanically over speed the engine, not to mention you can loose control if the tire locks up!!! Keep the clutch in and find the right gear before releasing it.

My only problem is im not use to the bike yet so how do i tell what gear it should be in before releasing the clutch?

When in doubt, you should upshift. Eventually you will learn the proper gear to be in.

Obviously too high of a gear, and the engine rpm will be too low and "lug", and probably stall. The opposite is too low of a gear, engine rpm will be very high, near rev-limit.

This will come with experience. Have you driven stick-shift in a car?