Oil Change Question

I have a 2004 crf250r and change the oil like every 5-8 hours and when i'm changing it and my dad comes out to see what i'm doing he always tells me I should only need to change it like 2-3 times all summer long, and I told him they rev higher and the oil breaks down faster but he doesn't seem to think that.

so what should i say to him to make it so he knows I have to change it that much?

I know how it is. My friends don't know jack shit and they say the same things to me. They think it's funny that I change my oil so much. My friend with an old xr250 doesn't change his oil. He lets it run out, then puts more in. Same with the trans. I've been told I don't need to change it. Worst was when I was checking my valves...Why would your valves be messed up. I just told them all to screw themselves and kept keeping my bike nice. I wouldn't tell your dad that but just tell him you know whats right and you want your bike to last.

so what should i say to him to make it so he knows I have to change it that much?

"If I don't change the oil enough and the motor blows, your going to pay the $1500 to have it fixed,, right?"

That should do the trick.:thumbsup:

I bet your local bike shop likes you

Are you paying for the bike? The oil? Tell him it's your money and you'll change it as often as you want to.

This isn't your dad's generation engine! Read about it here, then go school the old man: http://www.belray.com/scripts/futurearts.dll?CollectBinaryData?loc=belray&coid=55180&moid=20156&fauuid=b6c30da5-6537-41d7-b921-64a4cf6d0144

Modern slipper piston engines like your CRF tolerate a lot of compression blow-by. That means that fuel mixture dilutes out your oil very rapidly, and therefore it loses its viscosity. You start the day with a nice 10W40, and finish with a useless 0W20! Sorry, but 5-8 hours is to long between oil changes on that engine!!!

Plus, you engine hardly holds any oil in the first place. At least Honda seperated your engine and transmission oils...God bless them!

I would never take an oil manufacturer's opinion on maintenance intervals-they are far from impartial on the subject.

What does Honda say on the subject?

If you aren't a believer, post your question over in the Honda forum and see what they have to say....this is common knowledge.

Not tryin to hijack the thread here but my dad works at a lexus dealership and on some of their high revvin v6's and v8's, they use pennzoil platinum 0w-20 synthetic. would this be ok to use in thumper engines?

Not tryin to hijack the thread here but my dad works at a lexus dealership and on some of their high revvin v6's and v8's, they use pennzoil platinum 0w-20 synthetic. would this be ok to use in thumper engines?

If you are a recreational rider, run what your owner's manual specs for the ambinet temperatue at that time of the year, plain and simple! Honda does however now recommend thinner oils than they did in the past! My newest Honda, recommends 0W30 as a year-round, all season oil (it also recommends the more traditional weights like 10W40 and 10W30, which is what I run). Racers may want to run thinner ultra high tech oils like Maxima 530MX, for less fluid drag and better performance.

The government has been butting into lubrication! Car oils have a lot of compromises, so that the manufacturers can meet their CAFE (fuel economy) standards. Not necessarily the greatest trend in terms of engine protection!

Some good reading on the subject: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html

No. The tolerances weren't designed for such a light viscosity oil, and at the rpms these engines run at, such a light oil would get squeezed right out of the bearing interfaces.
If you aren't a believer, post your question over in the Honda forum and see what they have to say....this is common knowledge.

I believe that today's thumpers need better oil, I'm saying that IDK if an oil mfgr is where I'd get my info.

Kinda like asking Monsanto if genetically engineered foods are safe.

See what I'm saying?

If one not sure, don't you think it might be better to err on the side of changing oil to often rather than not often enough....unless one just enjoys rebuilding 4-strokes?

If one not sure, don't you think it might be better to err on the side of changing oil to often rather than not often enough....unless one just enjoys rebuilding 4-strokes?

If one's searching for knowledge, instead of err'ing and giving up, they should continue on their quest.

I'm just saying-do some research and take your sources with a grain of salt-some have something to gain, others do not.

Hence the reason I reccommended an oil analysis to convince his father instead of using a source that has a vested interest in selling more product.

Tell Dad that it's cheap insurance to keeping the engine in tip-top shape! Remember, where much is required...much shall be given, and that includes your motor.

Also, tell him that this bike isn't the same as his old XR.

Thirdly, it's better to be wrenching on a bike than glued to a XBOX/Television.

Tell Dad that it's cheap insurance to keeping the engine in tip-top shape! Remember, where much is required...much shall be given, and that includes your motor.

Also, tell him that this bike isn't the same as his old XR.

Thirdly, it's better to be wrenching on a bike than glued to a XBOX/Television.

+1

Oil is cheap and the bike only has 750 ml in the engine producing 50 hp.

Compare that with your car which has something like 5-7 litres for a normal car making just 200 hp.

It breaks down quickly in the bike. so change often..

Tell him it doesnt hurt to spend a couple bucks on oil to protect your investment.

If one's searching for knowledge, instead of err'ing and giving up, they should continue on their quest.

I'm just saying-do some research and take your sources with a grain of salt-some have something to gain, others do not.

Hence the reason I reccommended an oil analysis to convince his father instead of using a source that has a vested interest in selling more product.

As always Chickenhauler is imparting nuthin but the truth....listen and learn from him.