JD Leak Jet Float Bowl Bowl vs RD Power Bowl for 08 450 EXC-R

Been saving my pennies and finally have enough spare $ to dial in the "dealer jetting" for my 450 EXC-R to adjust for cutting out the exhaust plug (haven't de-smogged it yet and not really wanting to). Bike currently runs a little hot and has some throttle bog, but otherwise OK.

Looking for feedback on Leak Jet bowls and other possible mods. Here's what I am planning right now:

- JD jet kit

- Some type of leak jet float bowl

- RD Flex Jet remote Fuel screw

- possible O ring mod (if I have cash left over) and elimination of second throttle cable

Any feedback out there on choices of leak jet float bowls?

Thoughts or advice on other planned carb mods? Note: I'm an old 2 stroke guy, experienced with Mikunis but not Keihins so how-to advice appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance,

Hamp

I re-jetted my 08 530e with the following specs

165 main jet

OCEMR needle

clip 4

45 pilot jet

1.5 turns fuel screw

I bought all the parts from www.carbparts.com

My bike runs perfect with all the other "de-smog" and "un-corking" mods complete. I am at sea level in hot humid Florida.

You may want to post in the jetting forum and ask Eddie what adjustments are needed for your local area. I did not need to change float bowls or leak jets at all.

DBM

I have an 07 450EXC with JD jetting kit. I noticed an off idle bog when I rode in higher elevations. I bought an R&D adjustable leak jet accelerator pump cover and now it runs perfect. JD carries this part for $99. You could also get the R&D float bowl with leak jet, but it's a bit more expensive.

The AP pump cover also came with a new spring for the AP so you don't need to do the O-ring mod.

Any feedback out there on choices of leak jet float bowls?

Thanks in advance,

Hamp

I am of the understanding that your 2008 has a leak jet bowl-

50 54631085000 JET POWER JET CLOSED KEIHIN

50 54631085040 JET POWER JET 40 KEIHIN

50 54631085050 JET POWER JET 50 KEIHIN

50 54631085060 JET POWER JET 60 KEIHIN

50 54631085070 JET POWER JET 70 KEIHIN

so you should not need one- this is internally adjustable- so you must take off the float bowl to adjust- you could get an externally adjustable one but its not something that is needed to be adjusted as much as a fuel scew- I bet if you put in a #55 you will be good- but depends on your riding style and your elevation and climate...

read the FAQ on jetting 101 and AP 101- and read more about the AP circuit and how leak jets effect the AP- there is alot of info-

I would take care of the desmogging and rejet the bike and adjust as needed from there- first things first so to speak. :thumbsup:

I re-jetted my 08 530e with the following specs

165 main jet

OCEMR needle

clip 4

45 pilot jet

1.5 turns fuel screw

I bought all the parts from www.carbparts.com

My bike runs perfect with all the other "de-smog" and "un-corking" mods complete. I am at sea level in hot humid Florida.

You may want to post in the jetting forum and ask Eddie what adjustments are needed for your local area. I did not need to change float bowls or leak jets at all.

DBM

I agree with DBM on this one. A properly jetted KTM doesn't need anything expensive to make it run good. My carb is all stock except for proper jetting and it runs as strong as the stock 525.

I am of the understanding that your 2008 has a leak jet bowl

That is correct, 08 models already have a leak jet bowl and come with a #40 installed. I bought the R&D power pump for it's external adjustability but you can get the same end result just experimenting with different size leak jets.

Bike currently runs a little hot and has some throttle bog, but otherwise OK.
:thumbsup:

Running hot and having a bog isnt OK. These KTm's are not that hard to dial in. Take the easy way out. Buy the JD kit. It even has the .05 cent O-Ring included.

Part of the "Goodness" with the JD kit (IMO) is the phone and E-mail support that comes with the kit. Its a $75.00 well spent. I have yet to see a KTM owner with a JD kit ride away jetted way off or unhappy.

Can you buy a few jets at the local bike shop for $5.00 each? Heck Yes.

Can you buy phone support that will help you dial that thing in to the "T" there as well? Nope....

JD....Kinda rocks.

quote: Can you buy a few jets at the local bike shop for $5.00 each? Heck Yes......but you can't buy the proper needle which is the key to making your bike run correctly.

JD jetting is a good source for those who want "plug and play" specs with phone support. I prefer to ask Eddie in the jetting forum what is needed and buy my carb parts wholesale from www.carbparts.com

my .02 worth

DBM

Much thanks for the info folks - I'm understanding that the leak jet bowl is not required, but may go for the JD kit since I am a KTM "newbie" and some phone support for dial in would be welcome. The external adjustability of the RD AP also makes sense to me so I'll probably go with that too. Any more???

Hamp