Dirt Rider Tests the 09 KTM 250XC, headline reads "Best bike ever"

The Japanese loyalist will be screaming DR advertising sell out... Everyone knows linkless suspension doesn't work... :thumbsup:

Hope they don't have the same engine problems as the 08's. Linkless suspension does work if you know how to set it up. Problem is you need 3 sets of shocks/springs to get it right, thats what I call value for money:confused:

For trails I LOVE the linkless suspension!! I'm not a huge JL fan, but I like his take on the '09 250, wonder what the thought is on the 300.

Hope they don't have the same engine problems as the 08's. Linkless suspension does work if you know how to set it up. Problem is you need 3 sets of shocks/springs to get it right, thats what I call value for money:confused:

My 08 450XCRW engine has been flawless and the stock suspension has been great. No complaints. I get cheap revalves and I have no plans to do so. The suspension isn't slowing me down a bit.

What engine problem? You talking about the new 4-stroke engine? Only "problem" they had with the 2-stroke was with some starter bendix?

The 09 has a totally new shock design and FINALLY inner fork tubes sourced from a jap company...maybe the chrome won't look like e cheese-grater now?:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The 09 has a totally new shock design

The shock is new or just the valving???

What engine problem? You talking about the new 4-stroke engine? Only "problem" they had with the 2-stroke was with some starter bendix?

The 09 has a totally new shock design and FINALLY inner fork tubes sourced from a jap company...maybe the chrome won't look like e cheese-grater now?:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sorry dude, I'm on about the 4's:excuseme:

why is this thread in the 4-t forum? you guys getting jealous?

also, what is the big deal with e-start? i've ridden bikes with it. i even own a 4t with e-start. but i don't really care to pay $500 extra to have it on my 2t. :thumbsup: I just don't get the big deal, but I guess i'm not particularly fat and lazy.

The shock is new or just the valving???

New design shaft, secondary piston and larger needle.attachment.php?attachmentid=15046&stc=1

The picture on the left is the new secondary piston. Notice how large the hole is for the ID? The 05.5 shock used the same size ID for both pistons...this change allows for better flow to the primary piston.

New design shaft, secondary piston and larger needle.attachment.php?attachmentid=15046&stc=1

The picture on the left is the new secondary piston. Notice how large the hole is for the ID? The 05.5 shock used the same size ID for both pistons...this change allows for better flow to the primary piston.

Are their significant changes to the 09 forks, as well?

why is this thread in the 4-t forum? you guys getting jealous?

also, what is the big deal with e-start? i've ridden bikes with it. i even own a 4t with e-start. but i don't really care to pay $500 extra to have it on my 2t. :thumbsup: I just don't get the big deal, but I guess i'm not particularly fat and lazy.

If I wasn't married and straight, I'd marry you. You are the perfect man.:thumbsup:

You are the perfect man.:thumbsup:

In his own mind...:thumbsup:

Are their significant changes to the 09 forks, as well?

Yes. New Jap supplied/sourced inner tubes with actual smooth chrome, closer/better tolerances on the outer tubes & bushings, new cartridges for the open-chamber forks...:thumbsup:

Llama, have you confused yourself with the Dalia Lama? That would explain your extraordinary enlightenment... :thumbsup:

printable5.gif

Yes. New Jap supplied/sourced inner tubes with actual smooth chrome, closer/better tolerances on the outer tubes & bushings, new cartridges for the open-chamber forks...:thumbsup:

Anything map over to the 08 fork or shock that might be worth installing? Again, I have no complaints, but if there are improvements to be had by installing parts, why not look at it.

If I wasn't married and straight, I'd marry you. You are the perfect man.:thumbsup:

Sheesh, don't be a troll. Why not explain what the big deal is with e-start on a 2-stroke rather than just sling insults. :thumbsup:

Why is it worth $500 not not have to kick a few times every ride? Especially for a fit and skilled rider like jimmy lewis? I sorta understand why it's a big deal to older more sedentary types.

Well, it's simple. Take for example myself, ok ya I'm a little fat not too much but a little (lol). Lazy however I am not, does that mean I can't appreciate an estart, heck no. That's a sweet little feature that every now and again can be a life saver. Granted on a 2t it's really not hard to kick anyhow, but an estart is just a little easier and a little faster. On the flip side, it is one more component that has failure points as was proved on the '08's. It also adds a little weight not enough to concern yourself with really, but still something to mention. Now, would I add it to my '05 if it were possible, um not likely cause it's not worth spending $500 on for an older bike. If I had a new bike and it were an option, then ya I think I'd take it..........

Well, it's simple. Take for example myself, ok ya I'm a little fat not too much but a little (lol). Lazy however I am not, does that mean I can't appreciate an estart, heck no. That's a sweet little feature that every now and again can be a life saver. Granted on a 2t it's really not hard to kick anyhow, but an estart is just a little easier and a little faster. On the flip side, it is one more component that has failure points as was proved on the '08's. It also adds a little weight not enough to concern yourself with really, but still something to mention. Now, would I add it to my '05 if it were possible, um not likely cause it's not worth spending $500 on for an older bike. If I had a new bike and it were an option, then ya I think I'd take it..........

Your opinion makes more sense to me. Kinda like, "yeah, it has good points and bad points, but all in all it would be cool." JL (and some others) act like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread tho, which doesn't make sense to me. For $500 or so, I'd rather have top-notch suspension, or a rekluse clutch.

Of course I highly value simplicity, and i'd rather kick than have 1 more thing to go wrong (and they do seem to have their problems). If i get an 09 250xc, I'll probably try to sell the e-start to someone with an 08 250xc and use the money on beer and tires and stuff.

Now on a big 4-stroke, my opinion is totally different. I am not really interested in owning a 4-stroke that doesn't have either e-start or a rekluse (to keep me from stalling, so i won't need the estart, lol). but 4-strokes are much more effort to start. when jetted properly my 2-strokes start with barely any effort at all.

Why is this in the 4 stroke section???? what engine problems??

Mike