Sign in to follow this  

07yz 450 for desert.

I just got a 07yz 450. It has good cages and ASV levers,and Maxxis desert IT tires This is going to be my part time desert bike. I already have a 08wr450 with revalve, respring, levers,cages,tires, stabilizer, ect.. I would like to make the yz as desert friendly as possible, but still take it to the track like it was made to do. I rode it for the first time in the desert Sunday and I had a blast. Would a gearing change help?

the yzf isn't a strong enough motor to go too much taller for gearing, stock seems good. The only time you will really notice the power difference is on big steep climbs but even then if you're under 170lbs you'll do as good as a 200lb guy on a crf. It's all about high reving horsepower to get good wheel speed to stay floating. Seems to be pretty stable in the sand steering wise. Get an outerwear prefilter nylon cover for your air filter and run it dry (the prefilter that is, oil primary filter as normal)- you will be amazed at how well it works. They are especially nice on the yamaha's because the air filter sits on a raised flange/collar that the elastic from the prefilter snaps right over creating a really good seal (you put it on overtop of your normally installed air filter). Also rerout your engine breather hose into your airbox under the front of your seat and run it along the seat rail with zip ties to the back of the airbox then install a filter on the end. This will prevent sucking up sand when all the stars and moons line up just right.

the yzf isn't a strong enough motor to go too much taller for gearing, stock seems good. The only time you will really notice the power difference is on big steep climbs but even then if you're under 170lbs you'll do as good as a 200lb guy on a crf. It's all about high reving horsepower to get good wheel speed to stay floating. Seems to be pretty stable in the sand steering wise. Get an outerwear prefilter nylon cover for your air filter and run it dry (the prefilter that is, oil primary filter as normal)- you will be amazed at how well it works. They are especially nice on the yamaha's because the air filter sits on a raised flange/collar that the elastic from the prefilter snaps right over creating a really good seal (you put it on overtop of your normally installed air filter). Also rerout your engine breather hose into your airbox under the front of your seat and run it along the seat rail with zip ties to the back of the airbox then install a filter on the end. This will prevent sucking up sand when all the stars and moons line up just right.

A 450 not a strong enough motor? Never heard that one before:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Photos/07_450hp.jpg

And it won there 450 mx shootout, mostly cause of the motor, scroll down to the bottom

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4322&Page=5

A 450 not a strong enough motor? Never heard that one before:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Photos/07_450hp.jpg

And it won there 450 mx shootout, mostly cause of the motor, scroll down to the bottom

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4322&Page=5

I was reffering to the yzf 450 as not being a strong enough motor to go much taller than stock gearing in the sand, if you try to pull too tall a gear in the sand all you get is bog. Mx shootouts have very little to do with a bikes horsepower in the sand and not all 450's are created equal when it comes to h.p. It doesn't mean the yzf isn't a good bike, I loved my 07 yzf450, especially on the track, but it's motor is noticably weaker in the sand than my 05crf450. Last year I put about 75 hours on my 07 yzf at the sand dunes along side every other 450 out there except the RM. A kid that rides with us only weights 145lbs and he can hold his own and even win most uphill races on his 07 yzf yet me at 180lbs and another friend at 205lbs get beat by every crf out there. This is only noticable on steep sand climbs, on the flats any 450 is fun. If you want real horse power the ktm 505 takes them all down.

I was reffering to the yzf 450 as not being a strong enough motor to go much taller than stock gearing in the sand, if you try to pull too tall a gear in the sand all you get is bog. Mx shootouts have very little to do with a bikes horsepower in the sand and not all 450's are created equal when it comes to h.p. It doesn't mean the yzf isn't a good bike, I loved my 07 yzf450, especially on the track, but it's motor is noticably weaker in the sand than my 05crf450. Last year I put about 75 hours on my 07 yzf at the sand dunes along side every other 450 out there except the RM. A kid that rides with us only weights 145lbs and he can hold his own and even win most uphill races on his 07 yzf yet me at 180lbs and another friend at 205lbs get beat by every crf out there. This is only noticable on steep sand climbs, on the flats any 450 is fun. If you want real horse power the ktm 505 takes them all down.

Forgot about the sand part :ride:

I love my YZF everywhere but the sand dunes...I've never ridden it there, because my KX500 won't let me.;) For the regular desert, tracks, woods, etc. I ride my YZF and love it.:ride:

I run my '06 YZ450 two teeth higher than stock in the desert, including steep sand climbs (you can only make sand so steep before it slides to the bottom) and I have no problem with it. It will still run 4th gear up the ones where there's enough room to shift it up to 4th before the top of the hill, too, so I frankly don't get the statement made by albertaguy.

Occasionally, I wish another gear on top, but the trans is too closely spaced to go much higher without making first impractically tall for the tight stuff.

One option is to swap in a whole WR trans, or the top two gears, or some combination.

I spend a lot of time in the desert with this thing, and it feels like a natural for it to me.

well if anyone knows the yzf it's grayracer. I ran a 8 paddle scat track at about 11 psi, did good with stock gearing, tried going down one tooth on front and found it too boggy yet my crf I geared taller and it was still good. My experience in sand is limmitted to St. Anthony in Idaho which has very steep climbs and very dry soft sand, as in if you let off the gas suddenly you could go over your bars. It still got you up everything but in drag racing up the big climbs the crfs pulled on me pretty consistantly, then we would switch bikes and I would win on the crf. Anyway for me when I was riding one gear taller I was underpowered on my yzf. That's the main reason I got the 505 ktm, trying to find a bike that was as smooth as the yzf but even more powerful than the crf. Just my experience boys.

I don't run paddles, because the dune areas we visit are out in the middle of otherwise "normal" open desert, terrain that runs the gamut from blow sand to wash sand to rocks and hard pack, DG, and silt. Not running knobbies would limit our riding just to the dunes, and that won't cut it.