L? - Why do our forks extend Below the axle???

Is the CRF450 replacement the only option?

Yeah, it's that rocky here.

the forks extend the same on the R....its kinda stupid looking if you think about it. I would love to do a CRF front end:cry:

Back in the late '70s when they started to produce long travel suspension, they needed a way for the longer fork tubes to fit into the receiving end.

The outer receiver can only travel so far upward until it comes into contact with the lower triple clamp. :thumbsup:

With the advent of upside down forks that problem has been eliminated because the fork tube can travel up inside the receiver which is bolted to the the triple clamps. :thumbsup:

Kawasaki cheated somewhat and used gull wing shaped lower triple clamps on the '89 KXs so that they could use a fork with a little less underhang. The disadvantage of the gull wing design was that it allowed for more fork flex. Kawasaki tried to combat this with what was at the time the largest diameter fork tubes made (46mm). The next year (or in the same year if you were in a different country) the USD forks had a diameter of 41mm with a little less fork flex. If you look at conventional forks from that vintage and earlier you will notice that they do hang down even more and are much smaller in diameter. The XR650R fork is almost identical to the '89 KX fork.

It should be noted that even for years to come the '89 KXs were considered to have superior suspension to almost every other dirtbike made.

Even early USD forks had some underhang. I had a set of KYBs from a YZ400F on my 650R that had underhang that is just about inbetween the underhang of the stock conventional 46mm R fork and the USD CR forks I am using now.

Back in the late '70s when they started to produce long travel suspension, they needed a way for the longer fork tubes to fit into the receiving end.

The outer receiver can only travel so far upward until it comes into contact with the lower triple clamp. :thumbsup:

With the advent of upside down forks that problem has been eliminated because the fork tube can travel up inside the receiver which is bolted to the the triple clamps. :thumbsup:

Well, that probably true, but, the main reason forks sliders don't extend as far as they used to is because of overlap: large diameter, precision machined forks don't need as much overlap when extended.

Well, that probably true, but, the main reason forks sliders don't extend as far as they used to is because of overlap: large diameter, precision machined forks don't need as much overlap when extended.

You're right, that also has a lot to do with it. :thumbsup:

Which brings me to my next question: Who's to say that the forks they use nowadays are upside down? Maybe the forks have been upside down for 100 years, and now they're right side up? :thumbsup:

You're right, that also has a lot to do with it. :thumbsup:

Which brings me to my next question: Who's to say that the forks they use nowadays are upside down? Maybe the forks have been upside down for 100 years, and now they're right side up? :thumbsup:

Holy Crap! Your right! But what about this:

God spelled backwards is Dog. Whoa!

Holy Crap! Your right! But what about this:

God spelled backwards is Dog. Whoa!

I have an atheist friend who is dyslexic. He's also an insomniac, he stays up all night pondering the existence of Dog! :thumbsup:

Dang I'm old.

Don't y'all remember the gull wing forked Maicos that Magoo used to pilot in '80 (prototypes) and '81 (production)?

I remember the days when the hot set-up was a Terry fork kit with a PVC spacer for pre-load and a set of Fox Airshox for the rear.

Then, of course, Ethel was under a dollar a gallon and hookers were disease free and Sister Mary Elephant was some funny stuff.......

I'll get back in my rocking chair and shut up now.

Then, of course, Ethel was under a dollar a gallon and hookers were disease free and Sister Mary Elephant was some funny stuff.......

"...DAVES NOT HERE!"

:thumbsup:

"...DAVES NOT HERE!"

"Class.......class........class.........WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Check out the XR400 forks they are shorter

the forks extend the same on the R....its kinda stupid looking if you think about it. I would love to do a CRF front end:cry:

Mine put me down yesterday. I hit a rock with the right fork tube & it made me stop dead in my tracks. I was able to keep the bike upright but DAMN!

I'll post the new scars on the tubes after work. Anyone else wanna show off their damage?