Sign in to follow this  

New 2 Bikes

Hey everyone, just got my 07 XR650L Brand New from the dealer a few weeks ago.I've been racing Quads (Honda TRX450R)for a couple of years and the traveling to and from races got really expensive this year so I decided to trade one in for an XR. I'm 6'1" and cannot get into a comfortable seated position at all,I always end up on the tank when I try seat back I always come forward. Don't really have any dough to throw around but will invest in comfort.

So Renazco seat,Baja tall foam,air pillow(which aren't that cheap anyway) or lowering link to level out bike? And yes I've searched,I guess if the seat was straight across I wouldn't even have a problem.Thanks,Mike.

Huh? You're 6'1" and want a lowering link?:thumbsup:

Adjust your shock sag first.

You're tall so get a bar riser, it will move you bars forward and higher. Toss the OEM handlebars for a decent bend (Renthal CR Hi is nice on my L, I'm 5'8").

I'm 6'1" and cannot get into a comfortable seated position at all,I always end up on the tank when I try seat back I always come forward.

I lowered my front forks as low as they could go in the front triple trees/or you could say I raised the front triple trees :thumbsup: ... this raised the front end a bit which helped even the bike out.

I took my seat cover off and put in some closed cell foam under the stock foam, (between the foam and the seat pan), in the front to level the seat off some. I had the foam so it was free.:thumbsup:

I've heard some aftermarket seats - Corbin in particular - INCREASE the tendency to slide forward on the bike and pin you on the tank. Look into this before you drop big bucks. They may also be lower and lessen the distance to the pegs resulting in less leg room if comfort is your 1st concern. As far as sliding forward on the seat, you might even look into some kind of anti-slip spray or something. The pants you wear may have something to do with it too. Some of mine slide and some don't.

Rox Speed FX bar risers are good, easy, inexpensive way to gain comfort. They are height AND front-to-back adjustable for "gorilla armed" riders like myself who need more elbow extension. They install in 15 minutes and require no other modifications like longer cables, etc - IF you get the 2" ones. They make standing 100 times better on the L. They probably are not the best choice for riders who like to jump long distances as they may slip under MAJOR pressure. I have pretty much put mine through the off-road wringer and have had no problems. I am therefore convinced they will hold up to some pretty tough recreational off-roading. I don't race or long-jump, but I do take some nasty hillclimbs and the likes which puts them to the test.

My 650L is lowered (Devol link) and still works great. I wouldn't hesitate to utilize this option if you think it will help. I'm about 230 pounds and still have plenty of suspention and ground clearance. I like being able to flat foot it too - even loaded for a long haul.

Hope this helps.

Huh? You're 6'1" and want a lowering link?:thumbsup:

Adjust your shock sag first.

You're tall so get a bar riser, it will move you bars forward and higher. Toss the OEM handlebars for a decent bend (Renthal CR Hi is nice on my L, I'm 5'8").

Adjusting the sag was my first thought also. I'm 5'11" and my only problem is getting on the bike in the first place. Once I'm on, the shock sags and it's all good.

I also have CR Hi Rise....Pro Tapers. The overall fit is good.

Remember, the 650L is like a horse, once you're in the saddle it doesn't matter how high it is :thumbsup:

Is anyone sporting the Baja Designs Taller foam? I think that maybe my best bet plus I'll get a better leg position feel like I'm sitting on a milk crate now.Has anyone had any success lowering the pegs? I'll sacrifice an inch for more leg room.I've searched but can't find anything for the "L".

:thumbsup: Lowering the pegs? First time I've ever heard of that being considered. I'll bet that would be a PAIN to do right. The left one bolts right to the frame. I'd try ANYTHING before I did that.

The seat on the XRL is suposed to be pretty good. :thumbsup: I've rode two for almost 10 years since '94 and didn't have a problem with the seats. Heck, try one of those sheepskin seat covers with a wedge of foam under it if you just can't live with it. Or maybe an upolstery shop can do something special in your case.

I can't recommend lowering the pegs.

The XRL seat is one of the plushest on any dual sport motorcycle, short of an adventure bike that weighs 400+ lbs.

People call it a rolling sofa :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've never heard of anyone lowering the pegs. It just doesn't make any sense :thumbsup:

The XRL seat is one of the plushest on any dual sport motorcycle, short of an adventure bike that weighs 400+ lbs.

I've never heard of anyone lowering the pegs. It just doesn't make any sense :confused:

More leg room when sitting, don't have to bend as far when standing, less effort to stand up.

I've never heard of anyone lowering the pegs. It just doesn't make any sense :thumbsup:

Well in the quad world where I've spent most of my time certain manufacturer offered lower than stock and further back pegs.They were never below the frame just more parallel to frame thus giving you a better seated to standing position as was stated by ghrati ghoti.

I have a tall guts mounted in the garage with a guts cover. I will trade you for your stock seat if you want it. You just pay 20 bucks for me to ship it to you and you ship me your seat. I have a Renazco and this one is a spare.

There are some pics in this thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...56#post6364156A

Appreciate the offer but I think I'm gonna go with baja designs tall foam

Well in the quad world where I've spent most of my time certain manufacturer offered lower than stock and further back pegs.They were never below the frame just more parallel to frame thus giving you a better seated to standing position as was stated by ghrati ghoti.

Have you checked around to see if anyone makes anything that would lower the pegs?

I've just never heard of anyone wanting to do that on a 650L. It would seem that it would throw off the whole balance of the bike. :thumbsup:

+1.

This made a big difference for me, especially for standing up riding.(6'5")

Like you, Martinfan, I am pretty tall... the renthal hi-bends still seem too low. What do you run on yours? I was thinking of getting the FMX Pastrana bend, but I have heard of some guys getting ATV bars that are even taller and almost as strong. (I certainly don't do back-flips on my 650L)

Like you, Martinfan, I am pretty tall... the renthal hi-bends still seem too low. What do you run on yours? I was thinking of getting the FMX Pastrana bend, but I have heard of some guys getting ATV bars that are even taller and almost as strong. (I certainly don't do back-flips on my 650L)

Check out some of the mini bar bends. I have 909 mini high, I think. Less pull back than the ATV bars. I also have tusk risers, I can't go any without a longer clutch cable.