Sign in to follow this  

Horrible sound!!! Did it just blow up? HELP.

Wow. I'm in total shock right now. I have a 2004 TTR 225 with a baja dual sport kit, Oregon plate. I'm the second owner and I'm sure bike has low miles and has been ridden very mildly and maintained well. Here's what just happened. The bike has been in the shop getting some great upgrades that include a smaller sprocket in the rear (for better top speed around town) and the new FMF Powercore. The local shop did all the work.

I just got the bike back yesterday and I have to say the changes were awesome. Soother gears, more power and AWESOME sound.

Here's what just happened about 1 hour ago. I've ridden about 8 miles since getting it back from the shop. All of a sudden the bike started to make this loud high pitch squeal that sounded something like a washing machine breaking or a loose belt on a car. Horrible sound. Off and on, then some licking sounds, some ticks and all kinds of horrible sounding stuff. Hard to imagine but the sounds were coming from THE MOTOR. I limped it back to the shop and they are looking at it in shock themselves.

Mechanic said he was unsure but a possible rod? He wasn't sure if it was coming from the top end or bottom but was leaning toward the bottom end. The bike shifted fine and generally still had power although it did cut out abruptly a few times as that horrible squeal came on.

Does anyone have a clue what just might have happened? Did my motor blow? Is it going to cost a grip to fix? I really like the bike and it's in mint condition other than this problem so yes I would like to fix it although I can't imagine spending over $1500 on it.

My real question is HOW DID THIS HAPPEN. My fault or the shops? I normally just ride it in small town traffic although recently I took it on about a 90 mile road trip with a lot of 55mph hwy. Before the new smaller sprocket I had to run the motor pretty hard to keep it around 55. Could doing this for 50 miles have done it in?

The mechanic who did the work is real experienced although I don't think he rejetted the carb, just adjusted when the new pipe went on? I'm not totally sure but that's what I think he said and they didn't charge me for any jetting stuff on the receipt. I felt like I was riding it normal although I was revving it harder than normal as I loved it's new sound with the pipe. Was I revving the thing to hard and blew it up?

I'm clueless and would love a little suggestion or insight if ANYONE has any. Either way I should have answer from the shop soon. There going to try and diagnose and possibly fix it before the big weekend as I'm going to camp outside Washougal and dual sport in to see the AMA this weekend.

Thanks.

Does your Baja Dual Sport kit require any stator mods? Maybe the stator or flywheel cam loose. Easy to check, just remove engine side covers.

Oh, and don't run the engine anymore until you fix it!

Honestly I don't know but you might be very close. It did sound like some kind of wheel speaking and grinding. I'm not a mechanic but I've owned a lot of bikes and cars/trucks and I generally understand problems.

This is probably one of the weirdest things I've every experienced in a motor.

My fingers are crossed. I really love the bike and need to ride this weekend.

i wish my ttr was street legal. theres zero chance of me getting it street legal here in florida.

if you decide its to much to fix i would like to buy it if the price is right. i could probably transfer from oregon to florida to be street legal

I'm also going to guess flywheel. I had a Stealhy heavy flywheel on a YZ426 come apart (sheared the heads off the bolts holding the extra weight) when I was running it at high rpms (Supermoto race with a 1000 ft straight!). It sounded like a metal can half full of nickels being rolled down a hill. But the motor continued to run.

If that's the deal, even though the flywheel isn't usually lubricated, there may be metal shavings thrown around all over in there. Might want to do a-couple-a-three oil changes after you repair it.

Typically when a rod bearing goes, the motor losses dramatic power and locks up and/or throws the connecting rod out of the side of the block. If it still turns over without binding up then likely it is one of the issues posted above (flywheel, stator, clutch pack, etc...). It is always the best bet to shut it off the moment something like that starts to avoid additional damage. Hopefully it is not too serious.

I got a answer and it's not good. It's a long story but when they did the work I had them change the oil with a filter I gave them that I purchased from a Yamaha shop. Yamaha had SOLD ME THE WRONG FILTER:mad: . They put it in and it's made for a ATV. The cam and top end wasn't getting oil. That horrible sound was the CAM they think although they haven't tore it apart yet.

The bike still runs although it has a good tick now.

There going to tear into it and probably do the cam and maybe the top end about a $1000 later at worst.

OUCH.

Let that be a lesson. The wrong oil filter can ruin your bike fast.

I'm still going to the National's this weekend. I'm just not riding my dual sport:cry: . Other than that the new FMF for the TTR 225 is a AWESOME improvement and I recommend it:thumbsup: . Can't wait to get my bike back!

I got a answer and it's not good. It's a long story but when they did the work I had them change the oil with a filter I gave them that I purchased from a Yamaha shop. Yamaha had SOLD ME THE WRONG FILTER:mad: . They put it in and it's made for a ATV. The cam and top end wasn't getting oil. That horrible sound was the CAM they think although they haven't tore it apart yet.

The bike still runs although it has a good tick now.

There going to tear into it and probably do the cam and maybe the top end about a $1000 later at worst.

OUCH.

Let that be a lesson. The wrong oil filter can ruin your bike fast.

I'm still going to the National's this weekend. I'm just not riding my dual sport:cry: . Other than that the new FMF for the TTR 225 is a AWESOME improvement and I recommend it:thumbsup: . Can't wait to get my bike back!

wait a minute, are you telling me ...that a shop sold you the wrong filter.....and a shop put it in and didnt know it was the wrong filter?.....and ruined the bike......./???....3 things that that come to mind.......the first is that alot [ not all] of the parts people in these shops dont know their arse from a hole in the ground.......so you better know what you need and make sure you get the right part.......around here its like that . maybe not every where. i know , its a damed shame you cant go to a dealer and have them give you the correct part. but in my experience, 1in 5 youll get the wrong part. and it your problem after that....shame on you....if you dont check before you leave and know what you need .[ someone has too] and 1in 5 it wont be them...;;;;;;most suprizingly the shop putting in the wong oil filter .

they should know and should be responsible for the damage even if you gave them the wrong one......

I'm scratching my head, too. The filter's mating surface must be a pressure boundary. I'll assume the filter was loose against the base, therefore the engine's oil pump had no positive pressure to push it to the top end. Any mechanic with a clue should have noticed that.

Secondly, don't let them tell you what they think it is... or you'll be paying for that guess. If they are smart enough to tell you it's a cam, then the correct filter -regardless of who supplied it- should be a no brainer.

I think looking into the fix yourself would be a way better route then potentially letting $1000+ dollars slip out of your bank account... it may still be that rotor.

-Kerry

Yeah so that's what I have on my hands. I purchased the filter from my local Yamaha dealer yet I had the work don't at a Kawasaki/Suzuki shop. My Yamaha dealer has a very small and backed up service dept.

So that's there story. I gave them the wrong part. Yamaha won't claim it because they just sold the part and didn't put it in.

Do you really think I can do anything other than just blow hot air???

well one things for sure, if they were the cause and didnt know they installed the wrong filter, i wouldn't be paying them to rebuild it........that's like double money in the bank......for their own screw up............and maybe they wont get the right piston in it next time lol.

i had something like this happen on my dual sported 99ttr250.changed the oil after i got it,used a aftermarket oil filter,it was the correct filter.well i was driving about 55mph for about 5 miles,started to hear a loud pitch sqeal noise.it would come and go,finally,im driving down the road and the back tire locks up(engine still running,pulling in the clutch did NOTHING!).well,i stayed up luckly.forced the bike out of gear on the side of the road,re started bike and it was fine for about 2 more miles.then squeal and rear wheel locked again!got it out of gear again,made it 3 miles home,i decided to ck the oil filter since it was the only thig i just did.the friggin rubber seal from the filter blew apart and clogged the oil passages to the pump!put on a new genuine yamaha filter and has been fine for 1,300 miles.i will never use a aftermarket filter again.

there was a thread similar to this concerning a kawi or yami, wrong filter was given to customer he in turn gave it to shop who installed it and then engine trashed, tough call on blame, parts guy or installer or both, never did hear the outcome, ... tough break i hope the end result is favorable.

If THEY removed the old filter, THEY should have known/seen that they were not the same. It doesn't matter if it was a different brand shop.Tell them you are going to get an attorney to look into the matter, see if that changes their tune. I also would not let them do anything else to the bike, take it to another shop and have it looked at. They might have screwed up something else and don't want you to know and are blaming it on the filter. I work in service and I would not just install something a customer gave me assuming it was the correct part. I would make sure they are the same. Mistakes happen,but you shouldn't be paying $1000.00 for one.