Sign in to follow this  

Help spring stuck in fork tube

Got some of Daves 215 oil and was changing my springs as well and can't get the spring out of one of my fork tubes. Thought about making some kind of hook to hook on the spring and put a come-along on it but am afraid of terring something up and killing somone in the room if it comes out:crazy: . Haven't heard of this before and need some help from someone that knows about this. Its a 2004 CRF250F. Thanks for the help in advance.

Get a long (12") cheap flat head screw driver, grind a "V" shape/notch in the blade and push the spring out from rebound adjuster hole at the bottom of the fork. Make sure the "V" notch makes contact/mates with one of the springs coils and push like your pregnant, He He!!

If you try to pull it out...wear goggles :thumbsup:

I`ve performed this procedure at least 6 times and it works like a charm:applause:

Of course, what needs to be addressed is the "why".

You (or someone) placed one of the chrome plated disc guard screws (long) where the zinc plated (short) screw goes to hold the fork guard on.

The dent must be (or, at least SHOULD be) hammered out so that you can get the spring back into the proper seated location upon reassembly. This involves removing the axle clamp.

Of course, what needs to be addressed is the "why".

You (or someone) placed one of the chrome plated disc guard screws (long) where the zinc plated (short) screw goes to hold the fork guard on.

The dent must be (or, at least SHOULD be) hammered out so that you can get the spring back into the proper seated location upon reassembly. This involves removing the axle clamp.

Bummer...good post

Tried to get it out from the rebound hole but didn't have a v notch in it so will try that. Thanks for the reply.

As for taking the axle clamp off is that difficult? it looks like its pressed on. If yall could let me know would appreciate it. Thanks

Tried to get it out from the rebound hole but didn't have a v notch in it so will try that. Thanks for the reply.

As for taking the axle clamp off is that difficult? it looks like its pressed on. If yall could let me know would appreciate it. Thanks

I would just grind the "V" and push out the spring. Axel clamps can be a reaaaal big nightmare!!:thumbsup:

It (the dimple in the clamp) won`t hurt anything either when you put the new springs back in.

Thanks. Went at lunch and bought a srewdriver to grind. Hope it gets it. Was supposed to ride Thurs. Don't know if I'm going to make it now:cry: .

it will hurt things if the spring doesnt go back all the way down, the spring will tilt and bind, if you dont remove the dimple make sure the spring sits fully in.

it will hurt things if the spring doesnt go back all the way down, the spring will tilt and bind, if you dont remove the dimple make sure the spring sits fully in.

Good point MOG. All the ones I have done, the spring just pops right back in as the dimple is small. But maybe someone put some type of other bolt(longer than the disc guard bolt) in there and it is a larger dimple than the six that I have seen.

Yeah,. take it apart to be sure. Better safe than sorry. No riding thursday now!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But how do you take it apart to fix it? Our manual doesn't get that detailed.

Lets leave this to the "Pro`s" above as I am curiose as to how they perform the procedure. They have taken us this far, now they must help us out:ride:

if it comes out and goes back in ok, then dont worry, if it doesnt i would take that leg to a suspension shop and pay for them to unscrew(no it doesnt just unscrew)the leg from the lug, its just not worth trying and messing up, even pros mess up one or two occasionally.you have to remove the grub screw and mill down the damaged thread, heat it up lots and then unscrew it.