Sign in to follow this  

3.5 lb weight reduction w/battery replacement?

http://www.ebattonline.com/index.html

They make one for the 230. Looks like the initial reviews in the TT product review forum are pretty positive/good. This is a very interesting opportunity for those with a battery gone bad and needing replacement. The added bonus is dropping 3 pounds or so.

We always make fun of the weight reduction questions, but this might be a decent option. We spend more on aftermarket exhaust to drop about the same amount of weight.

I am not associated with the maker/distributor, just intrigued and interested.

• Like 2

you would barley notice 3lbs if not at all

You might be right, but in combo with other mods, this is a weight reduction item for an often replaced item. Had me thinking that in combination with everybody's standard exhaust replacement that this is a potential 5-6 pound weight reduction up high on the chassis over the stock parts.

Whenever the weight reduction threads come up, I have always indicated that often replaced items should be purchased with weight in mind (ie hardened aluminum sprockets with gearing changes/wear replacement or aluminum handlebars to get better rider ergos).

The E-Batt MAY be a very good product on its own, but providing a potential significant weight savings is a potential extra added benefit that I wanted to pass along.

Great find. 3 lbs is a lot! Figure that the most you could reduce the bike is 15 lbs & that's 20% of it right there for very few dollars. Combine that with shortening the muffler & you've removed 6-7 lbs of weight that is up high (just under the seat).

That will make a noticable difference IMO.

gym membership.

lol

IMHO thats the best form of weight reduction.

help yourself, help your ride.

Heybuddy, of course your right. But...

Like Toast, I believe it is significant weight loss, especially considering all the "battery gone bad" posts that frequent this forum. IF it is a viable product, you can drop 3-4 +/- lbs (seems like most standard lead acid motorcycle batteries are between 4-5 lbs) for a small money difference over the purchase of another conventional battery (+/- $40.00 more). This product is 12 ounces (3/4 lb).

With some smart additional mods, the 230 starts to look like a 225 lb dry weight bike, which is significant over a 238 lb (stock) dry weight bike, especially when you are whacking weight up high on the chassis.

My only point is that while the 230 will never be a light weight MXer, there are options when replacing parts that make a significant weight difference.

There may be another advantage for the 150/230 with rear suspension mods limited by the battery box (like CR85 shocks not fitting) where this small battery could be moved to allow a battery box modification/removal (I'm not considering this however).

3lbs is 3lbs. Every ounce counts when you're talking about grinding cooling fins, frame brackets, pegs, exhaust, hole-sawing the seat, modifying the battery box, modifying the intake, griding extra metal off of here and there, etc. etc. etc.... all in search of the 220lb CRF230F.

Is it possible? I think so.

I too would be interested if the battery has enough to turn over a high compression and or big bore engine. It would be a weight savings set high on the CRF230F. As much a savings as replacing the exhaust.

I would be most interested in the self charging model .

Dwight

The initial reviews seem to suggest that the batteries seem to spin up a motor better than their lead acid counterpart. Will it spin an 11:1 CRF/XR motor is one of the questions that I have also. From the reading that I have done, it seems the normal lead acid battery doesn't appear to have issues until you get into the 12-12.5:1 ratios.

Any word on when the self charging model will actually come out? The website still says August, but I'm wondering if there is a more exact time. I'm in line to purchase one.

These are not for the bikes but for night riding lights on helmets.

Dwight :)

Sixth batery down on the provided link is a Li-Ion battery for DC systems, not helmets, weighs 20oz with a 3700mah capacity. Further down is an equivelent sealed lead acid battery that weighs 59oz with a 4000mah capacity. If you need a DC system and really want to save weight use the 7oz capacitor listed a little further down the page.