Sign in to follow this  

new bike, 06 crf 250-problem

for starters, i just got this bike:ride: and have never even ridin it while ive owned it, i test rode it once. the bike is a 06 crf 250r with pro circut dual pipes, pro circut performance forks and rear shock, pro circut clutch cover, and pro circut grafics:prof: ........well, when i rode it it idled easy when i test rode it. but i started it the other day when i got it and it started and ran fine (idleing high of course) with the choke on. i turn it of and it slows down then dies. i dont know if this is just a thing were it wasn't warmed up all the way,( i ran it for like 2-3 minutes) but any ideas? oh and i would like to know were the idle screw is. i just moved up from a crf 230 that i knew every nut and bolt on, so i feel stupid askin such a simple thing, ha....thanks for any help.

also, im going to warm it up for 10 minutes on choke, then try to idle it without choke tomorow, and get a owners manual :thumbsup:

That all sounds normal. Let it warm up, but ride it; don't let it idle for 10 minutes on choke. You need some air flowing through the radiator so it doesn't over heat. The idle screw is the black knob on the side of the carb, but I wouldn't mess with it until you ride it for about 10 minutes to see if it will idle after it is warmed up.

If it doesnt work after that, maybe try changing the graphics.

Changing the graphics......:thumbsup: :thumbsup: ....

Since you dont ride it, how OLD is the gas? My bike HATES older than 1 month old gas.

hey, i didn't put them graffics on...ha.

but i read that the choke 'pullout' or wutever u call it, (the black thing) there is a screw on it, and that is the idle screw,is that right? oh and theres also a silver knob next to the fuel line (to the left) it is a flathead,but can be turned by hand. is that the idle?.

anyways all that sounds normal? im going to go ride it for the first time this week and ill go today and try to warm it up more. i just hope it isn't a jet issue because im not good with jets. and i hope its isn't a valve clearence issue cuz i dont want to get wrist deep in a engine that i just got

but i read that the choke 'pullout' or wutever u call it, (the black thing) there is a screw on it, and that is the idle screw,is that right? oh and theres also a silver knob next to the fuel line (to the left) it is a flathead,but can be turned by hand. is that the idle?.

anyways all that sounds normal? im going to go ride it for the first time this week and ill go today and try to warm it up more. i just hope it isn't a jet issue because im not good with jets. and i hope its isn't a valve clearence issue cuz i dont want to get wrist deep in a engine that i just got

The "black thing" that you pull out is the choke...

The "silver knob" that you can turn by hand is the idle speed adjustment (turn clockwise to raise idle speed, turn counter-clockwise to lower)...

Hope that helps... :thumbsup:

Yea, sorry, I think I said it was black, but it probably is silver. The choke is not the idle adjustment. I think some of the older 2 strokes were that way, but not the crf.

thanks for all the help... ill go try it out right now and post back. . the guy that owned the bike before me said the hotstart was sticking ad bogging the bike so he disconected it...im going to get a new metal hotstart connecter for it (pro circut...of course)....but what does a hotstart do? ive read that it opens the exauhst valves sligtly to lower comression, and ive read that it lets more air into the carb to lean out the mixture. Which one is right?

my bike does that if i try to ride it too quickly, I let it idle while i get my helm, chest protecter and w/e on then i rev it for another minute and then go ride

The hot start lever leans out the mixture. Get it connected again for sure... It makes starting a LOT easier when hot! :ride:

Like said above, change the gas.

Then turn the idle screw clockwise maybe 1/4 turn for now. Start it and keep it running. Ride it around for about 10 min. then adjust the fuel screw. I would guess that if your bike has that much invested in it the previous owner would also have installed an after market fuel screw that can be seen pointing straight down from under the carb. If so it will be red, blue or black typically.

To adjust, make sure the bike is warmed and mainatains a steady idle. Turn the fuel screw in until the motor chokes but does not die. then turn it out until you detect the highest idle and then stop it there. You may have to do this a couple of times to feel the highest idle. After this you may need to re-adjust the idle screw.

Like said above, change the gas.

Then turn the idle screw clockwise maybe 1/4 turn for now. Start it and keep it running. Ride it around for about 10 min. then adjust the fuel screw. I would guess that if your bike has that much invested in it the previous owner would also have installed an after market fuel screw that can be seen pointing straight down from under the carb. If so it will be red, blue or black typically.

To adjust, make sure the bike is warmed and mainatains a steady idle. Turn the fuel screw in until the motor chokes but does not die. then turn it out until you detect the highest idle and then stop it there. You may have to do this a couple of times to feel the highest idle. After this you may need to re-adjust the idle screw.

I gotta get me one of those things......

An aftermarket (easily adjustable) fuel screw should be one of the first mods on a CRF250R.

You can get them right here at the TT store, right now, and you will probably get it in your hand before you can remember to go to your dealer to get one.:ride:

• Like 1

if you dont feel like paying $20-25 for one you can get one off ebay for like $13 and $3 shipping. thats what i did and it works great.:ride:;)

• Like 1

once again, how do i turn the idle screw, it is hooked up to a rubber hose and the rubber hose just twist when i turn the screw and when i let go it turns itself bacck to were it was. like a rubberband. any idea?

once again, how do i turn the idle screw, it is hooked up to a rubber hose and the rubber hose just twist when i turn the screw and when i let go it turns itself bacck to were it was. like a rubberband. any idea?

Twist open the throttle a little before you turn the idle screw in. This will allow no resistance on the screw. The rubber hose is a cover.