1997 YZ 250 - Mod's Recommended?

I just bought a 1997 WR250 2 stroke which is a road registerable (in Aussie) YZ250 with a wide ratio 6 speed and lights. Has had an engine rebuild, all else is stock. I did want to buy a newer bike like 2005 YZ or KTM but couldn't resist this one as they're pretty rare and I can ride a YZ on the road. Question is are there any major upgrades I should make on this bike or are they killer when left as is? It's just for weekend trail riding anyway.

RCannon can tell you exactly what to do with the bike.

I believe that he tried every pipe/porting/head mod/gearing/reeds/different flywheel weights/suspension/etc. that was ever available for the 97 YZ250. I'm not joking... his 97 looked like a factory bike. He probably had 10 different pipes for the bike. It was a very sweet bike, I had the opportunity to ride it a couple of times

He's on this forum a lot... I'm sure he'll chime in so that you can pick his brain. :thumbsup:

The best mod I found for that bike was a Pipe made by Noleen. It ran far better than anything else available. I dont believe the company is around anymore, but the pipe show up on ebay occasionally.

The best mod I found for that bike was a Pipe made by Noleen. It ran far better than anything else available. I dont believe the company is around anymore, but the pipe show up on ebay occasionally.

Agree on the pipe if you can find one. My '97's motor was basically stock w/the exception of Boyesen Reeds (also tried Aktive reeds) and proper jetting. Ran exceptionally! I had Race Tech Delta valves in the forks and Gold valve in the shock. Absolutely unbelievable difference over stock.

A great bike w/the exception of the 3rd wheel gear that let go and roached my tranny 40 hours in! Hopefully the WR tranny is different or the previous owner updated. Funny thing was, Yamaha updated the part but wouldn't admit it and/or cover any repairs. 3 out of 5 of us that had a '97 had this problem.

Holy Moley, that's at Bent Bike (local) which has been around as long or longer then me (37 years). If they won't ship it I could do it but I rarely get over to that side of the water. I hope it works out for you. Lemme know if you need help with it all.

I just bought a 1997 WR250 2 stroke which is a road registerable (in Aussie) YZ250 with a wide ratio 6 speed and lights. Has had an engine rebuild, all else is stock. I did want to buy a newer bike like 2005 YZ or KTM but couldn't resist this one as they're pretty rare and I can ride a YZ on the road. Question is are there any major upgrades I should make on this bike or are they killer when left as is? It's just for weekend trail riding anyway.

Any pictures? There's a 97 at the track I ride at but it's just collecting dust?

IMG_2540_edited.jpg

Any pictures? There's a 97 at the track I ride at but it's just collecting dust?

IMG_2540_edited.jpg

Maybe it has something to do with the front brake on it? :thumbsup:

If possible, please post a picture of your bike.

The wr 250 in the states was based on the old 94 yz 250.....not that this is a bad thing. At the time it was far faster than the yz. I am not entirely sure which bike

Thanks peeps.. you're awesome

Those Noleens could still be cheap after all the shipping maybe.. but if it's based on the 1994 YZ..

It does need some kind of new pipe or repair anyway [dent!]. Waiting on delivery so the best I can manage are a couple of reasonable pics

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4se781&s=4view.php?pic=4se781&s=4

yzwhatnv2.th.jpg"]yzwhatnv2.th.jpg[/url]

Nope, that's buried in dust, well no more could fit on it and yeah interesting brake setup :thumbsup:

Ok, it's a genuine Japanese, 1997 WR250. So not sure which year YZ parts it's made of

What country are you in? Your bike matches the colors of a yz 250 in 97..not the wr. I believe Canada had a wr that looked like yours.

How did you figure out it was a wr???

If it is the regular 97 yz 250 or a wr based on the 97 yz 250, its easy to make an argument for keeping it stock. You could make them very fast, but the powerband became very narrow and hard to use. The 98 ignition black box would snap right on and changed the personality of the bike from all top end power to a good mix of low and midrange. I had as many pipes for the 97 as I do for my 06 and unless you find a Noleen pipe, dont bother changing much.

Yep Australia sorry. May look out for a Noleen pipe and The 98 ignition black box-that sounds interesting.. just have to confirm which engine this has I suppose..

I think you will find it only has a 5 speed wide ratio gearbox not 6 speed.

The front forks where very hard to say the least.

With a bit of work to the suspension and a little motor tweaking you will have a great bike.

Look out for a Ohlins 360cc kit that will fit that model.

Pretty much all 97 YZ parts will interchange, most 96 and 98 parts will fit. Even a few parts from 94 up will fit. Cylinder porting is different, heavier flywheel, WR box, 18" rear, maybe different ignition timing. Forks and shock have different valving. But you should be able to swap any YZ part for the WR part. I really like the stock motor on the 98 WR, very electric feeling, like the new KTM250EXCs

The forks were riding low in the stroke and felt horrible but I think the midvalve shims had tacoed, I beefed up the base and the rider is pretty happy. We put a YZ125 shock on it becuase the original had a bent shaft.

2007%5C08%5C19%5Cbikepics-997715-800.jpg