shoulder surgery Dr. Mark

I had surgery on my shoulder/arm on June 24th. My injury was that I dislocated my left shoulder and broke my humurous bone right where it goes into the shoulder when I crashed on my bike. I had a plate inserted in the surgery to keep it stable. I have heard a lot of stories and am wondering how long it will be before I can get back on a bike. I am supposed to start my rehab in a day or so. Any suggestions/advice? I would appreciate it. BTW im left handed if that helps.

andrew j

here are my xrays. I started rehab a few days ago and the guy said my range of motion is already better then it should be. I was hoping to get back on a bike in 3-4 months if I worked real hard. Any suggestions on exercises, or ways to strenghtin it?

surgery.jpg

First gain active range of motion.

first in the supine (laying down) position,

then sitting,

then standing.

After this you can start a weight program, assuming x-rays show further consolidation of the fracture.

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to give you an update on my progress. I saw my doc 2 days ago (2 months since my injury exactly) He said that my fracture is healing good. I'll post the xrays later. I have been doing my PT like im supposed to and he said that he still doesnt want me doing any weights for at least another month when he sees me again. Does that sound right? He said the fracture is not healed completely (you cant see it anymore in the xrays, but you can still see the discoloration/difference beteween the 2 bones) My dislocation was also out the back instead of the front. Would this make any difference? Just seems a little long and im eager to get back on my bike. Thank-you