Sign in to follow this  

Where to ride in Flag?

Wow, things have changed in Flag over last 20 years for so called legal dirt bike trails. Trails created by horse or dirt bike are now closed to dirt bikes. I'm guessing liberals and Mtn bike wussies had something to do with this. While attending NAU in the early 80's trails were abundant.

Anyway coming down to Flag early Aug and all I see from CoCo trail riders web site is 24 miles of singletrak....where is this trail head? Any other info on trails in the Flag area would be appreciated. Want to ride at Flag elevation or higher. The CoCo USFS web site is definitely anti motorcycle. We are experiencing similar problems around the Durango Co. SJTR is having a tough time keeping trails open just like the Flag area riders. Thanks for listening.

Yes, things are changing....EVERYWHERE! As it stands now the FS is only going to give the motorcycles 24 miles of singletrack. CTR is fighting hard to keep what they can open. If things don't change, Sept. '09, 24 miles may be all that we get.

Contact someone at coconinotrailriders.org and I am sure they can hook you up.

I was up in Flagstaff last weekend and was disappointed with the anti motorcycle tree hugger groups up there. I had a hard time finding trails to ride on too. It is nice up there though! Those 100 pound ******* think they are so law abiding. Never mind the horse shit all over the trails that never gets picked up and the mountain bikers with dogs OFF LEASH that are running thru the trails or the bikers on the road without proper reflectors etc.

Holy Crap Tim!!! Where did you go?

Shultz pass road by mile marker 6 I think. We only found 1 single track run off of the gas pipeline. Many trails out there but bikes were not allowed. We even had a mtn biker take our picture as we passed them to try and get our plates I guess. That was on the trail by shultz pass road on the right side of the road as you are heading up. We mainly stuck by the mtn. maybe that's why? I guess we need to try and head off of 180?

Shultz pass road by mile marker 6 I think. We only found 1 single track run off of the gas pipeline. Many trails out there but bikes were not allowed. We even had a mtn biker take our picture as we passed them to try and get our plates I guess. That was on the trail by shultz pass road on the right side of the road as you are heading up. We mainly stuck by the mtn. maybe that's why? I guess we need to try and head off of 180?

You were on Shultz and that is a non-motorized trail now. You need to get further out before you get to the motorized trails.

The first time we went up there to ride, we were told to stay to the left side of the road. Doing that we found several miles of great single track. While riding that single we ran into some very polite mountain bikers. I keep saying it but, next pay check I join Coconino Trail Riders before it's too late.

You were on Shultz and that is a non-motorized trail now. You need to get further out before you get to the motorized trails.

I thought the first few miles of the trail along Schultz Creek was open to motorized, even had a sign dedicating it to a 50's motorcycle club that built it.

It was however heavily populated with bikers and hikers and not much fun on a motorbike.

I thought the first few miles of the trail along Schultz Creek was open to motorized, even had a sign dedicating it to a 50's motorcycle club that built it.

It was however heavily populated with bikers and hikers and not much fun on a motorbike.

Yes motorcycle club made that trail, but because of user conflict and high traffic they gave it up to non-motorized use a couple of years ago to keep the peace.

The best rule is to stay on the North side of Shultz Pass Rd. We camp near MM 8 and there are some good easy trails just West of that. Around MM 9-10.

Next time you head up that way give me some advance notice and I'll try to join you and show you around the little bit I know.

Moto and everything upmountain is pretty much open to dirtbikes. I ride out there quite a bit. But hey... mums the word on challenger trail access if it keeps the tourons at home!

When will you be coming down? I'm thinking of heading toward Durango the second week in August. CTR has more than 24 miles of ST. One of the loops is an easy 50-60 miles.

http://www.coconinotrailriders.org/blog/?page_id=16

I'll be there afternoon of the 2nd and riding all day of the 3rd. Thanks for all the info. I will follow the rules, it will be tough but I don't want to give riders a bad reputation. If you need trail info for Aztec, Durango, Hesperus, Ouray or Ridgeway lt me know, be glad to help. I'm going to join CoCo trailriders also, they need all the help they can get. :thumbsup:

It's actually really cool the amount of respect out-of-town riders give to Flagstaff. This is an amazing riding area and your help in keeping it that way is appreciated.

I'm from vegas and was up at Camp raymond near flagstaff last month. As I was leaving to come back to the heat I was thinking I should come back and do some riding. It looked as if it would be nice and cool with lots of opportunities. Any advice? I'd be looking for long trail rides, easy or hard. doesn't matter.

thanks.

I certainly agree that motorized trails up here are too few and far between. I was on a ride along the Schultz Pass area not long ago and every time I though I was about to turn onto a great looking trail, I saw the no-motorized vehicle sign. I was pretty disappointed that I couldn't leave the road. Never did find one I could use.

Unfortunately, for those of you in the thread that were asking for advice on where to ride, I don't know of any other trails than those single track loops the Coconino Trial Riders has on their site.

Also, thought I'd put a plug here for the forest roads, too. I know a lot of folks would prefer to ride a good trail than a road (me too) and that not everyone is plated (which is technically required for the major forest roads), but I think it's important to give credit to the availability of dirt riding around Flagstaff, even if it is technically "on-road".

We've got hundreds, if not thousands, of miles of roads on the forests up here, many of which offer some good riding and some fantastic views. You can ride all day and never see the same road twice. Also, if you like to go fast once in a while, you can do that on the forest roads if you're far enough from civilization. I frequently find a nice open stretch through a park where I can pull 50mph or more on the dirt, just for kicks. Plus, there are TONS of little side roads, marked or unmarked, that offer some fun because they're infrequently used, rutted out, and hilly. Some of the side roads turn into trails. I found one south of Mountainaire last weekend that was awesome... it started out looking like an old logging road that lead back to a fire ring and informal campsite. But, as I went further, it started to wind up the ridge as a smaller trail. It actually became so technical and rocky that I would up turning around before I dumped the bike on the rocks and broke a bone on the way down. (I was by myself and didn't feel like dying alone in the woods that night.)

Anyway, for those that are plated (or don't mind the risk), find a place to stage and just head out. Bring a GPS, and watch your fuel. There's a great day of riding in store for anyone who's willing to explore a bit.

Wow! some great trails are still open just off the road to the snow bowl. Awesome singletrak with mossy rock, pines and aspens. We started on west side off snow bowl road and ended up at FR151 down to a great cabin bar near 180 and snow bowl road (they serve PBR on tap!). Wing mountain has great trails also, saw 100 plus elk. We rode a pipeline trail south of flag and ended up on a off limits trail (Sandy's ridge) sorry folks we did not mean to ride illegally, it just happened. Anyway, the open trails are being maintained by some group....I assume it's Coconino Trail Riders..If so thanks a lot! You are doing a great job!

That is a great trail that you described! Kewl to ride thru pine trees one minute then aspens then ferns. Unfortunately, it's the only one we found last time we were up there?