Selling a bike without the title?

Just wondering, I have a bike with no title that im going to sell, I know you can sell it with a bill of sale. My question is on the bill of sale I found on the internet it says "This form does not represent documentary evidence of ownership unless accompanied by the outstanding

certificate of title." Should I take that off? Since there isnt a title. So it would show owner ship. OR change it to "This form does represent

documentary evidence of ownership"

Also at the top it says "In consideration of______" What do I write there?

What else do I need from the person? Name, address?

I know I have to make 2 copys.

Also the liecense number (Registration tag) number will be on it too. With the vin.

Sounds like you don't have time but you could get a title.

Also sounds like you're using a form from the DMV. Write your own bill of sale. To make it easier on the buyer when he tries to get a title, state on the bill of sale that you never registered it.

Sounds like you don't have time but you could get a title.

Also sounds like you're using a form from the DMV. Write your own bill of sale. To make it easier on the buyer when he tries to get a title, state on the bill of sale that you never registered it.

How hard is it to get a title?

Owning a bike witout a title sucks. I bought mine from a legit guy who said the origional owner lost the ownership and thats why he was never givin it.. I went to the DMV to get ownership and they said my bike was never registered soo the name of the suposid origional owner was never found.. Now i am stuck paying a lowyer to get me an affidavit.. It's alot of hassle,, i am definitly not ever buying a bike with no title again.. And just a heads upp,, most people kno about this already and don't purchase a bike without ownership soo it makes the bike very hard to sell.. Only other option besides an affidavit is to find someone who lives on a farm and who would use it as a beater.

Some people will buy a bike from a neighboring state where a certificate of origin is issued. That certificate is then used to register the bike in their home state. But they don't register it to avoid paying sales tax.

I don't know how this will affect the ability to sell the bike.

On a side note . .offroad motorcycles do not come with a title, they come with a Certificate of Origin from the manufacturer. In Massachusetts, at least, you cannot get a title when the certificate of origin states "For Offroad Use ONLY" (or something along those lines) although the bike can still be registered as an ATV without the Cert of Origin or a title, you simply need a clean bill of sale and proof that you paid taxes in MA. KTM certificates of origin usually don't have any disclaimer on them so lots of guys I know sneak them through the RMV and get a street legal title and plate. Of course they can't get the bike to pass inspection without adding a Baja light kit and swapping out some controls with DP stuff. When I've asked how they get it past the RMV, they either claim to use the excuse "It's the only way I can get insurance on the bike" since the Insurance companies require the vehicle to be registered" or they claim that the clerk at the RMV just let it go through. Some end up paying sales tax twice, once to the store when they bought the bike and then again at the RMV when they register. All this to ride enduros!

I've sold a couple bikes without titles. I went to Canada for a race put the titles in with other papers and I lost the whole thing after returning home.:ride:

I bought the bikes new so I wasn't worried on my part. Oregon does title a dirt bike if you want or you can go with the certificate of origin. Basically the only reason a bike dealer wants you to title a dirt bike is so they can rip you off a few bucks for "administration fees."

I just made up a Bill of sales using a copy I found on-line.

Make sure you put in bold letters SOLD AS IS!!!!!!!

Make one for yourself (not a copy) have them and you sign both and make sure the person that signs is not a minor. I've always insisted that someone over 21 signs the BOS.

Name, both printed and signed, address, amount, phone#'s, etc.

and of course "SOLD AS IS."

I also let the people know up front if they want to file for a lost title I will assist them but, I wont pay the fee.

When buying a bike with only a Bill of Sale you should do some checking.

Couple summers ago I was going to buy a Kawi 250 smoker. The guy selling up front said there's no title and it would be sold with a BOS.

But, the guy seemed kinda stupid about a bike he supposedly owned for a year and I told him I wanted a copy or a bill of sale from his buddy he bought the bike from since he was the original owner.

Descent bike, needed TLC, good price but I didn't feel comfy with it for some reason.

So I wrote down the ser# went home and checked it out. Couple phone calls later I found out his buddy lived in another state. Called his state DMV and found out there was a bank lean on the bike. I even called the lender and they wouldn't release (remove the lean) the bike until the original loan was paid.

I ran from that bike even though it was a good buy.

If buying on a BOS take a little bit and check the history of the bike.:ride:

Some people will buy a bike from a neighboring state where a certificate of origin is issued. That certificate is then used to register the bike in their home state. But they don't register it to avoid paying sales tax.

I don't know how this will affect the ability to sell the bike.

Or there are some states like MN that won't issue a title unless it's a street vehicle, and also don't collect sales tax unless it's a street vehicle.

I can register anything with a VIN and engine serial number, and be issued ORV registration on the spot. We don't pay sales tax on vehicles that are Off-road registration only.

Plates, well, that's a different story altogether......just buy a bike from a "title everything" state, transfer, and voila, plates!

Idunno about UT but in Kal you go to the DMV, fill out a "Statement of Fact" about why you don't have a title and they issue one.

Filling out the 'Statement of Fact' is just the first step.

But there is more work for you to do to get that California title.

You are required to get a release from the previous two owners, if any. Registered mail is nessesary to get confirmation of delivery or show your efforts in trying to locate them.

Once you get a release or show that you have exhausted all efforts to contact the previous owners, only then will the CA DMV issue you a title.

This will take up to two weeks to complete. Been there, done that.

You can't just walk into a DMV office and simply fill out a 'Statement of Fact' on a vehicle and get a title issued right then and there.

It is registered.

What if I bought it in NV, registered it in NV, then moved to UT. Would i get a NV title? Or UT?

I'm pretty sure you'll need to get the title from the state where it was registered before you can transfer it. In your case NV.

Filling out the 'Statement of Fact' is just the first step.

But there is more work for you to do to get that California title.

You are required to get a release from the previous two owners, if any. Registered mail is nessesary to get confirmation of delivery or show your efforts in trying to locate them.

Once you get a release or show that you have exhausted all efforts to contact the previous owners, only then will the CA DMV issue you a title.

This will take up to two weeks to complete. Been there, done that.

You can't just walk into a DMV office and simply fill out a 'Statement of Fact' on a vehicle and get a title issued right then and there.

I assumed he was the original owner or at least could show a paper trail proving ownership.