Clutch won't disengage.

I have an 03 450 EXC that I bought used a few weeks ago, right after I took it out for the first time the clutch started to make a huge squealing noise when I took off in first gear. Midway through my first ride the clutch stopped disengaging entirely. I had to get it rolling to put it in 1st and then I limped it to the truck. After reading several posts here and on ktmtalk I figured it was warped discs in the clutch pack. Pulled the clutch out, everything looked fine but since I had bought new clutch and springs I went ahead and replaced it. Bled the clutch through and through, fired it up and still no go, won't disengage. ? I plan on checking the slave housing, piston and o-ring. After that I guess it's a rebuild for the master cylinder. I just can't think of anything else it might be. The clutch appeared to moving back and forth just fine when I was pulling on the clutch lever with the clutch cover off. Sorry for the long winded post, if there is something else I should look at I would appreciate any suggestions.

So I pulled off the slave, it looks normal. I put it back, I check the plates through the oil filler cap and they look like they are disengaging just fine. Pulled the clutch cover and removed the pressure plate, rear wheel still won't turn. ***? Shouldn't the the wheel turn at least some, there is no friction at all from the plates when the darn pressure plate is off. The clutch basket has zero grooves, could it be a bearing under the basket?

So I pulled off the slave, it looks normal. I put it back, I check the plates through the oil filler cap and they look like they are disengaging just fine. Pulled the clutch cover and removed the pressure plate, rear wheel still won't turn. ***? Shouldn't the the wheel turn at least some, there is no friction at all from the plates when the darn pressure plate is off. The clutch basket has zero grooves, could it be a bearing under the basket?

When the engine is not running, can you shift the bike into each of its 6 gears easily, without touching the clutch ? Does it go back into neutral just as easily without the clutch?

Could be a bent shift fork applying pressure to the gears and it is showing up as a hard to disengage clutch ? This combined with a clutch that is not 100% bled properly would give the same effect.

Wheel turns fine in neutral, I put it on the stand, started it in neutral, put it in gear and the back wheel takes off. If I am not mistaken, the back wheel should turn if the pressure plate is off because no matter what, there is no pressure to the plates causing the wheel to lock up. It shifts through all the gears if you don't stall it when you put it in gear from neutral on the ground. I guess I'll just have to keep taking it apart till I find something amiss. Thanks for the replies, should be able to report back something tomorrow.

it is normal for the wheel to turn with it in gear, clutch in and the wheel off the ground. Due to oil drag between all the parts. But it did work when you first got it and then quit working right, so I think you are right, just keep at it til you find it.

I have an 03 450 EXC that I bought used a few weeks ago, right after I took it out for the first time the clutch started to make a huge squealing noise when I took off in first gear. Midway through my first ride the clutch stopped disengaging entirely. I had to get it rolling to put it in 1st and then I limped it to the truck. After reading several posts here and on ktmtalk I figured it was warped discs in the clutch pack. Pulled the clutch out, everything looked fine but since I had bought new clutch and springs I went ahead and replaced it. Bled the clutch through and through, fired it up and still no go, won't disengage. :ride: I plan on checking the slave housing, piston and o-ring. After that I guess it's a rebuild for the master cylinder. I just can't think of anything else it might be. The clutch appeared to moving back and forth just fine when I was pulling on the clutch lever with the clutch cover off. Sorry for the long winded post, if there is something else I should look at I would appreciate any suggestions.

Another thing. Did the previous owner bleed the clutch recently? Maybe it was not done properly. I have noticed that these hydraulic clutches are not the easiest to bleed, even with the syringe technique. You mention above that you bled it yourself also. The first time I bled this Magura, it took about 100 tries and 3 hours to get it right. Everytime I thought it was right, the lever did not disengage the clutch.

I would put money on the hydraulic system is either sucking in air or it is just not 100% completely bled. Try to find someone close who has done the KTM before.

Good luck,

One thing I had a problem was the steel plates have different thicknesses, I know that wouldn't account for your initial issue, however when putting the new clutch in it could be an isssue. I received all 1.4mm steel discs and should have had 4 ea. of the 1mm and 1.4 mm. Just a thought.

? Gotta love happy endings. Took the clutch freewheel off to look under the clutch basket hoping for something obvious. As soon as I took off the freewheel and the stepped washer and the two split washers, voila, everything started turning the way it was supposed to. Upon closer inspection, the stepped washer was put in upside down, so it was binding the whole thing up. Put everything back the way it was supposed to go and now the bike is just perfect the way it's supposed to be. I guess the PO must have done this when he replaced the clutch and couldn't figure out what he had done wrong. Thanks for all helpful suggestions, this is a great forum, and you can even have a free e-mail account to use it. I'm going riding tomorrow at Foresthill!! :rant::ride:?

I think the stepped washer just got to the point where it was scored enough to create enough friction to stop everthing from turning. The wheel would turn, just had to really muscle it to get it to move. The friction plates were brand new, no wear at all. That's why I think the PO gave me such a good deal on the bike, He knew he messed up when he replaced the clutch, he just couldn't figure out what he did.