Anyone ever break the tip of the thumb before

I SMASHED THE TIP OF MY MIDDLE FINGER BETWEEN TWO HELMETS PLAYING COLLEGE FOOTBALL AND SUBSEQUENTLY BROKE THE TIP AND LOST THE NAIL. THERE IS REALLY NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO ACCELERATE THE HEALING PROCESS. IT TOOK ABOUT A YEAR BEFORE I COULD TRUST IT'S PERFORMANCE. EVEN NOW, 8 YRS LATER, IT SOMETIMES GIVES ME TROUBLE. THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT YOU CAN'T HEAL FASTER AND MORE COMPLETE, BUT BE AWARE THAT IT COULD TAKE SOME TIME.

KAI

You can expect at least 6 weeks to heal to the point you can begin using it and 12 weeks for full healing. It will hurt intermittently (weather changes etc) regularly for 6 months then get significantly better. By 2 years there will only be occaisional pain. All this assumes that the bone was never open to the air, never got infected, and the pieces are lined up well. If it was open to the air and had to be washed out it will take longer to heal. I know what I am talking about I am a board certified orthopaedic surgeon (bone doctor). Generally if the pieces are lined up well and it has been 6 weeks I let people go back to whatever they want to do with the caution "if it hurts don't do it". Very rarely the bone won't heal and we have to operate on them but in a young healthy person that is rare.

I broke my thumb at two place where it connect with the hand, I will need to have an operation to put metal pin or plate to hold everything in place. It appen at may 22 and I still wait for the operation that is schedule for june 11, this lond delay worry me, could it complicate the operation and healing after. Maybe "Riding Again" could help me with an answer??? The medical service is very slow here in Quebec ? ....

And Dougie I wish you will heal fast to ride again.... for me the summer is scrap. :D

CrazyRonny

It depends on where the break is, how bad it is, etc. etc. Hard to say without seeing the x-ray. Hard to do medicine over the internet. But, I can tell you that as a basic rule any break that you take care of in the first two weeks or so is generally fine. You don't want to wait much longer than 2 weeks, 3 at the absolute outside, but 2 wks for a break that did not communicate with the air is usually fine. Waiting longer just makes the Doc's job harder and delays the begining of the final healing process, but shouldn't have any long term probs. Put in lots of disclaimers and lawyer speak here. I haven't seen the break so take all my ramblings with a grain of salt. All the Ortho guys from north of the border that I have met (3 or 4) seemed really knowledgable so I don't think they would have scheduled it for then if it would have compromised final function of the hand.

Thank's "riding again", you encourage me :D But I wish this time the operation will not be delay any further because my doc tell me it's a very bad break. The problem here is not the knowledge off our doc or ortho but the lack of ressource, our medical service is sick, the gouvernement cut the expense by cutting down on ressource and service. So we pay for it, when I broke my thumb there was a 12 hours line up at the emergency of my local hospital, and this delay is normal here ? . Wish you don't have the same kind of problem on you're side of th border :D

CrazyRonny

If so, how long did it take to heal? I broke the very tip of my left thumb at the end of April and it doesn't appear to be healing very well. I have to go see a hand surgeon for a second opinion. I also lost the nail but that should grow back.

Luckily I didn't get the joint. It is cracked at an angle from the tip. Xrays from the day I did it and three weeks later looked the same. Shouldn't there be some healing showing. Hence I need to go to the surgeon.

I can't ride the WR but luckily I am able to ride my street bike with no problems. But I'd be pushing it trying my luck up at Rampart or the Mountains of CO. So I am waiting. But it is taking too long. Just looking for some encouragement from someone that may have done the same thing.

I have a trip to Crested Butte planned for the end of June. I need to be healed by then. Wish me luck.

I broke a small bone in my foot that took forever to heal. I assume becouse it being in my foot and constant movement.

A hand never broke anything there like fingers, My wrist was shattered.

I assume it would take longer to heal due to the fact that its impossible to stabilze and set.

But thats my None Phd Dr type opionion.. for what its worth