Sign in to follow this  

Camping in LPNF

anybody know if there is a good spot to camp by a creek or stream or river up in LPNF?

I'm gonna take my boys up for just a couple nights...prob won't ride, just hike and hang out. have to be able to get my 21ft toy hauler in wherever we go.

TIA for any info. if you don't feel comfortable posting your fav spots on my thread please email me at sales@m50manifold.com or PM me through tt. I am very respectful of our precious riding/camping areas and want to enjoy them as much as possible before they are all closed.

Eric

I rode to the lockwood campground a few weeks ago. It is nice and secluded with shade from a big tree. It would be a nice place to camp but you need a 4wd to get back to it. Check out a map to see where it's at. It's off of the lockwood creek trail

yeah I wana go to a place I can drag my toy hailer to. I have a 4x4 diesel but I still don't like getting too crazy with the TH tagged on.

E

About the only place I know of that would fit your criteria would be Gold Hill campground. It's a pretty nice place but can get crowded with locals and locos on the weekends. As far as camping if you get there early you might find a nice camp site. Piru creek is right there and would offer some nice hiking oppertunities. Be careful in that area hiking with children because there is the possibility of mountain lions.

Mt. Pinos campground is a real gem, and at about 7800ft, relatively cool this time of year. Also has good tree coverage. I was up there two weeks ago for a few days on the mountain bike. The MTB trails up there are unreal, but not moto legal. There are also excellent hiking trails in the area, particularly a fun 2 mile hike to the summit of Mt. Pinos at about 8600ft. It has about 15 sites and there were only 3 other campers that weekend. It is accessible for a 21ft trailer no problem. Only thing to keep in mind is that there is no water available in the Mt. Pinos area so ya gotta be fully self contained.

R

Mt. Pinos campground is a real gem, and at about 7800ft, relatively cool this time of year. Also has good tree coverage. I was up there two weeks ago for a few days on the mountain bike. The MTB trails up there are unreal, but not moto legal. There are also excellent hiking trails in the area, particularly a fun 2 mile hike to the summit of Mt. Pinos at about 8600ft. It has about 15 sites and there were only 3 other campers that weekend. It is accessible for a 21ft trailer no problem. Only thing to keep in mind is that there is no water available in the Mt. Pinos area so ya gotta be fully self contained.

R

I'll second that about Mt Pinos campground.:ride:

No moto on the mountain bike trails eah.....;):p

There is a twin mountain just to the west of Mt. Pinos, called Mt. Abel. No riding up there, but fantastic camping in the trees at about 8,200 ft. I have had my 32 ft. class A up there with no problem. Just have to be self contained. Temps will be 25-35 degrees cooler than the valleys and usually very uncrowded. PM me if you want more info and directions.

Bruce