Home Made Motorcycles, What are they? How are they legal?

Hello I live in NY state and it's imposiable to plate an offroad bike. Almost every known way is under fire, Dealers covering up the off road only on the MSO is out, the out of state plating and then trasfering is now really hard. I noticed all these homemade choppers and such getting titles easy. Most of them are just a list of ordered parts and then they are processed and plated by the DMV. Could I go out and Buy a dirt bike frame and build a bad ass dual sport and register it as an home made motorcycle? Is it to good to be true? I have a DRZ400 that's pretty nice but I think from scratch I could build a much nicer offroad bike. I tried to legal my CRF450r and SM it and I got a title out of state and then when I tried to transfer it in my state the vin came back redflaged because I had it registered as an ATV a few years back, and I was mad! So what kind of things do I need to make it work? Do only the frame numbers matter and must it be a DOT frame and such I know about the little things like lights and all that crap I just want to make sure the core of the bike will be able to be legal?

So your telling me if I buy a frame and it's clean I can make a vin number up and then get the bike to pass inspection? Are you sure this is ligit in NY and there are no emmissions on a bike where i live other than sound, for a homemade bike will they do some retarded emissions test or is it the same as an inspection?

Hello I live in NY state and it's imposiable to plate an offroad bike. Almost every known way is under fire, Dealers covering up the off road only on the MSO is out, the out of state plating and then trasfering is now really hard. I noticed all these homemade choppers and such getting titles easy. Most of them are just a list of ordered parts and then they are processed and plated by the DMV. Could I go out and Buy a dirt bike frame and build a bad ass dual sport and register it as an home made motorcycle? Is it to good to be true? I have a DRZ400 that's pretty nice but I think from scratch I could build a much nicer offroad bike. I tried to legal my CRF450r and SM it and I got a title out of state and then when I tried to transfer it in my state the vin came back redflaged because I had it registered as an ATV a few years back, and I was mad! So what kind of things do I need to make it work? Do only the frame numbers matter and must it be a DOT frame and such I know about the little things like lights and all that crap I just want to make sure the core of the bike will be able to be legal?

Contact your closest custom Harley bike builder, ans see if they will do a 'special construction' conversion for you.

I don't know your state laws, but lets say you bought a dual sport that was street legal in 1973 or something, it would be grandfathered in. How could the DMV prove that 1973 plate on your 2008 was not accurate. You could tell them you used the 1973 frame and updated all the add-ons. It might work...

I was thinking of buying an xr650r frame or a 530exc frame and slowly buy the best parts and in a 2 year period have it complete and be sitting on like 70hp min and a very nice handling bike. I'm going to get an application and guildline sheet from the DMV today to make sure I can do it before I waste my money. My DRZ is 290lbs at 53HP I think I can do much better than that. :ride:

I will never ever try to plate a non plated vehicle again in any state for any reason!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER

After reading up on the net and being assured I could Plate a Sand rail In Florida after following the guidlines, I made the purchase. Guess what? I now have a $6000.00 unplatable Rail setting in my garage, and with no place at all to ride it. The FL DOT told meI could Plate any homemade vehicle I wanted except a Dunebuggy! No reason, no recoarse, no options, just a big No and F you.

Never again........................ Please do not ever overestimate the helpfulness of the goverment. All they have to do is say no and thats it. Total loss.

PS. I'll trade an awesome beautiful Sandrail for your DRZ400 in like condition!:ride:

I will never ever try to plate a non plated vehicle again in any state for any reason!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER

After reading up on the net and being assured I could Plate a Sand rail In Florida after following the guidlines, I made the purchase. Guess what? I now have a $6000.00 unplatable Rail setting in my garage, and with no place at all to ride it. The FL DOT told meI could Plate any homemade vehicle I wanted except a Dunebuggy! No reason, no recoarse, no options, just a big No and F you.

Never again........................ Please do not ever but any confidense in the helpness of the goverment.

Holy crap I would of fliped the shit out. Sorry to hear that. I'm now thinking of just grabing a 530exc and just get some more HP out of it and leave it be

• 2 weeks later...

I live in NJ & bought a DR650 from someone in NY last year. I went on my merry way to dmv & the girl went in the back & got a big book. I have registerd dozens of bikes in my life & this never happened so I asked her what she was doing. Well as of about 1 1/2 years ago the Sate of NJ made a approved list of motorcycles in NJ. They use it on out of state titles. this was done to titles being washed in other states & she said that it is stopping a lot of custom bike's she said people flop out yelling that they paid 40k for some custom chopper that is not on NJ's appoved list of motorcycles.

Ya know, that really needed to be said...?

:D i was in a bad mood that day...... lol I love sarcasm

really though in another 5 years the all state DMV's will have all listed vin's on their computers

and the only way to do some of these will be O.C.C style

I would just move,it would probably easier. It was relatively easy here once I found out the correct form. But I spent 8 months researching and jumping through hoops trying to get the correct information. There is no such thing as "homemade" only built from parts, unless you manufactuer all componets