Yamaha XT600 Valve adjustment problems

Hello,

I purchased a street bike for myself a few weeks ago, 1987 Yamaha XT600, and i started noticing a ticking or knocking sound coming from the top end. I assumed that it needed a valve adjustment and I had the workshop manual for the bike so i embarked on the adjust thinking it would be a peice of cake.

Well according to the manual you line up the "T" mark on the rotor with that little hole on the left side cover, which is Top Dead Center, then adjust your intake and exhaust from there. I did everything to spec, double checked it, I had to back out the adjusters quite a bit to actually get a feeler gauge in there.

When I went to start up the bike it knocked louder than ever, and I quickly shut it off after a few fires. I am very frustrated, could someone tell me what have I done wrong? I looked online at the WR400 something valve adjustment and it used the "HI" marking on the rotor, which I have on mine too. Did the manual tell me to use the wrong markings?? It said the rockers should wiggle freely at Top Dead Center, and they did not..

Your help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

• 1 month later...