High HOrse DRZ Vs. 690 SMC

I posted this in the DRZ forum as well but want both sides of the story

Well guys I Love my DRZ but im ooking at KTM 690 SMC or the 690 Duke or the 690 SM, there all the same FI engine, just a little dirrerent set ups The SM unfortunately has a horrible exhaust design. The quize is how will a 60 horse DRZ ( I think ive seen eddie testify to the fact that they exist) do vs. any of these bikes.

Can a 60 horse DRZ be built to be reliable?

Whats it take $$ to get a DRZ to 60hp?

75 miles is already as far as i can go on a tank of gas (riding hard, not trying for mileage), how far can you get on a the horsed up DRZ?

thanks, and let me know if im way off base even trying to make a comparison. I am aware theres quite a price difference.

the HP isnt really that important just a guage of similar performance.

Thanks

I posted this in the DRZ forum as well but want both sides of the story

Well guys I Love my DRZ but im ooking at KTM 690 SMC or the 690 Duke or the 690 SM, there all the same FI engine, just a little dirrerent set ups The SM unfortunately has a horrible exhaust design. The quize is how will a 60 horse DRZ ( I think ive seen eddie testify to the fact that they exist) do vs. any of these bikes.

75 miles is already as far as i can go on a tank of gas (riding hard, not trying for mileage), how far can you get on a the horsed up DRZ?

thanks, and let me know if im way off base even trying to make a comparison. I am aware theres quite a price difference.

the HP isnt really that important just a guage of similar performance.

Thanks

I've owned 2 DRZ's(an E and an S) and loved them both.

I own a 690 Enduro not an SM but I will still add an opinion.

I guess in the long run they would both be great but it comes down to how much time and effort you want to invest into getting the Z to that 60hp.

I think theres about a 3K difference in price(or more) so you do have a fair bit of room to play with the Z.

Me personally would not bother and I thought about working over my last Z.

I like the convenience of FI,I think the stock 690 suspension is way better than the Z's too.Oh and once you have a hydraulic clutch you will never go back.

So to me it's not just about motor it's the whole package and I'd rather be riding than wrenchin!!

You may be different but in the long run most people would be far happier on the 690 IMO!

I recently went from a 56hp DRZ to the 690 SMC and I have no regrets. The SMC is much nicer to ride and the suspension is 10x better than the drz. SMC also has awesome brake unlike the spongy drz. Even with braided brake lines the drz brakes were disappointing.

To get the drz to the standard of the smc is not just a case of throwing cash at the engine. The brakes and suspension as mentioned need sorting so that's more cash. Also the smc comes with quality tyres unlike the poo ones on the drz. The SMC also gets excellent fuel economy with the Fi and will do 130ish miles to a tank.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my DRZ but the SMC has too many advantages, especially if you have the cash to spend.

I recently went from a 56hp DRZ to the 690 SMC and I have no regrets. The SMC is much nicer to ride and the suspension is 10x better than the drz. SMC also has awesome brake unlike the spongy drz. Even with braided brake lines the drz brakes were disappointing.

To get the drz to the standard of the smc is not just a case of throwing cash at the engine. The brakes and suspension as mentioned need sorting so that's more cash. Also the smc comes with quality tyres unlike the poo ones on the drz. The SMC also gets excellent fuel economy with the Fi and will do 130ish miles to a tank.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my DRZ but the SMC has too many advantages, especially if you have the cash to spend.

Thats the words i want to listen too , thinking buy myself a 690E next year ...

From This....

MotoandCharger_001.jpg

To THIS ?

KTMScooter005.jpg

The only negitive about the KTM is I am worried fooking up a 9K bike...where as the 4k DRZ had some falls and most of the time was covered in mud so I was not too concerned I just crank it and go...:worthy:

KTM is a Blast and did I mention that it Rips :D

• 4 months later...
I've owned 2 DRZ's(an E and an S) and loved them both.

I own a 690 Enduro not an SM but I will still add an opinion.

I guess in the long run they would both be great but it comes down to how much time and effort you want to invest into getting the Z to that 60hp.

I think theres about a 3K difference in price(or more) so you do have a fair bit of room to play with the Z.

Me personally would not bother and I thought about working over my last Z.

I like the convenience of FI,I think the stock 690 suspension is way better than the Z's too.Oh and once you have a hydraulic clutch you will never go back.

So to me it's not just about motor it's the whole package and I'd rather be riding than wrenchin!!

You may be different but in the long run most people would be far happier on the 690 IMO!

NorthCRF,

I also have a DRZ-E and am thinking of switching to the 690 Enduro. How do these two bikes compare? I have done some modest performance mods on the E (exhaust, k&n filter, jet kit) and it runs very nicely. Any input would be appreciated.

Depends on what you are using it for.

If I was off-road only I would not have the 690E.

Dual sport riding I would not own the E.

If you like to tinker and build on a bike then keep the 400E.

If you have the money and want a great do it all dual sport that really requires nothing then get the 690E.

If you can get a ride on one and make your own decision!

I can't imagine being disapointed with the 690!

a sixty horse drz is like making a small block chevy run with a supercharger with 20psi boost, it is a time bomb and wont last forever. Go orange if the power is that important to you. You must ride your drz super hard to only get 75 miles to the tank, i ride mine super hard and get 100 easy so i think you need the orange

60-horse DRS is like a 20-year old virgin: everybody heard but nobody saw.

as soon as you make big bore long stroke 450cc DRZ (44-48 Hp at the rear wheel maximum) you've got to change oil every 10 hours and change piston every 60 hours. It's easier to buy Husky SM510 - in stock more power, way better suspension and same price as DRZ+Tuning, but still street legal.

690SMC is a street legal bike, really. With good reliability, 5000km service intervals and good suspession. 60Hp on the rear wheel in stock with grunt 1.5 times more than DRZ. weight is only a fraction more.

My way was DRZ - Husky610 - 690SMC and I do not want to go back even during financial crisis.

Switched from:

suzesp_small.jpg

to

smc.jpg

First I considered to make a big bore DR-Z but why bother. I'm not that into modding and tweeking a cheap DR-Z. KTM is built like solid rock compared to my used DR-Z... Brakes were weak and the suspension was far from good. LC4 maybe isn't as solid as the DRZ's engine but who cares if it has the 60 hp as stocker...

Switched from:

suzesp_small.jpg

to

smc.jpg

First I considered to make a big bore DR-Z but why bother. I'm not that into modding and tweeking a cheap DR-Z. KTM is built like solid rock compared to my used DR-Z... Brakes were weak and the suspension was far from good. LC4 maybe isn't as solid as the DRZ's engine but who cares if it has the 60 hp as stocker...

Best looking SMC ive seen man!!

I should have bought one instead of my "beakster" SMR.....

Didnt know about the SMC at the time......damn!

Best looking SMC ive seen man!!

I should have bought one instead of my "beakster" SMR.....

Didnt know about the SMC at the time......damn!

Thanks... I have now done the tail tidy project to the Europen rear light and Leo Vince is waiting in the garage for installation... Then it's "Ready to Race" as they say in KTM:).

I have my bike at the dealer. I have yet to pick it up. But I have all my black body work waiting. Its nice to see what it will look like in all black. I can't wait to put it on now.

My original plan was to make it black and wrap it like my DRZ Track bike. But now I might just stay black....

0501081007.jpg

My DRZ400SM

704.jpg

The current Race Day Photo 690 SMC.

This belongs to a close friend. I like the way it came out. But its not really my cup of tea. I like black. Come to think of it. Even my DRZ is not my cup of tea. But it looks good at the track. And all I really do is track ride. I always feel funny when I street ride it...