Swap to yellow plastics on '08 WR450

Love the bike, just not digging the color. Blue sure takes a beating. Anyway, I'm old school and like the good 'ol days of Yamaha yellow anyway. As the '06 YZ's were available in yellow, that plastic is available.

The hitch is the rear fender from the YZ. I know the WR is a bit different as far as the mounting holes for the light, bracket holes for the wiring, and extra plastic built into the fender as sort of a splash guard for the fuse/wiring connectors on the left side. My thought was to trim that part off of the stock blue rear fender and try and retain it and bolt it up with the YZ rear. My question is, regardless of all this, can anyone verify if the YZ rear will physically bolt up to the WR. Meaning, are the mounting points the same on both bikes or is it completely different. Can anyone verify from the two bikes side by side? I have not seen two together at the dealer. I'm hoping '06-'08 YZ has the same mounting arrangement as the '07-'08 WR and I can then just deal with all the other issues.

Thanks for any help :ride:

Love the bike, just not digging the color. Blue sure takes a beating. Anyway, I'm old school and like the good 'ol days of Yamaha yellow anyway. As the '06 YZ's were available in yellow, that plastic is available.

I really dig on the yellow with a black/white speed checkers stripe.

But I’ve learned to really like the blue. I think it really stands out off road. From 200 yards people know you are on a Yamaha and vise versa..

Not sure about the yellow but if you like white the plastic off the 08 white 450 YZ will fit the 08 WR 450. A little adjustment at the top of the tank under the seat is the on;y thing I needed to do. The white WR fender was not available when I made the switch. My understabding is the rear fender (white WR) is now available. I did have to remount the electrical componets that are in the WR fender but it was easy. The guys at our dealership here in town said it would not work. I felt it would so I ordered the pieces and decals. It came out very nice in white.

Not sure about the yellow but if you like white the plastic off the 08 white 450 YZ will fit the 08 WR 450. A little adjustment at the top of the tank under the seat is the on;y thing I needed to do. The white WR fender was not available when I made the switch. My understabding is the rear fender (white WR) is now available. I did have to remount the electrical componets that are in the WR fender but it was easy. The guys at our dealership here in town said it would not work. I felt it would so I ordered the pieces and decals. It came out very nice in white.

I'd rather not go white, but sounds like you have the right info that I'm looking for. So it sounds like the mounting holes are the same. You kind of lost me about the adjustment "at the top of the tank under the seat". Do you mean where the overflow tank is? Great news if this is the case. Any chance you have a pic looking into the underside?

Thank you :ride:

I'm talking about where the radiator shrouds mount onto the tank under the seat. There is mount for each side that uses a small bolt. Those holes do not match up real well. I used some stainless steel fender washers to hold down the plastic using the original mounting holes. If you remove your seat you will see that on the 08 the shrouds bolt down on top of the fuel tank. Just my 2 cents. I never liked the blue, I had to do something.

The hitch is the rear fender from the YZ. I know the WR is a bit different as far as the mounting holes for the light, bracket holes for the wiring, and extra plastic built into the fender as sort of a splash guard for the fuse/wiring connectors on the left side. My thought was to trim that part off of the stock blue rear fender and try and retain it and bolt it up with the YZ rear. My question is, regardless of all this, can anyone verify if the YZ rear will physically bolt up to the WR. Meaning, are the mounting points the same on both bikes or is it completely different. Can anyone verify from the two bikes side by side? I have not seen two together at the dealer. I'm hoping '06-'08 YZ has the same mounting arrangement as the '07-'08 WR and I can then just deal with all the other issues.

Thanks for any help :ride:

Man, I was thinking the same thing - when I saw the Yellow YZ Hurricane kits...post a pic or two when you're done. I'm thinking it might be a winter project for me. I really dig the oldschool Yammy Yellow, too!

Man, I was thinking the same thing - when I saw the Yellow YZ Hurricane kits...post a pic or two when you're done. I'm thinking it might be a winter project for me. I really dig the oldschool Yammy Yellow, too!

Should come out similar to this one from the YZ forum, except with the Hurricane graphics and lights. This is one good looking sled!

Copyofmisc006.jpg

Should come out similar to this one from the YZ forum, except with the Hurricane graphics and lights. This is one good looking sled!

Copyofmisc006.jpg

Hah! A pic of Wiz's 06' in the WR forum... thats a classic. He and I race in the same class and are good friends. He went to white real quick after the yellow, don't know why other than our team graphics look better on the white. That particular bike is for sale right now...

So outerlimits, what's your plan for the headlight? I am having very good luck with a painted OEM headlight cowl, (white). I used Krylon's fusion paint and last weekend and I beat the living sheet out of it in an ISDE format race, I thought for sure when I got to the truck I would see blue but not one flake or scratch came off. I do remember them having a good selection of paint but I can't say how close of a yellow match you would get.

So outerlimits, what's your plan for the headlight? I am having very good luck with a painted OEM headlight cowl, (white). I used Krylon's fusion paint and last weekend and I beat the living sheet out of it in an ISDE format race, I thought for sure when I got to the truck I would see blue but not one flake or scratch came off. I do remember them having a good selection of paint but I can't say how close of a yellow match you would get.

I'm probably going to go with a black Baja Designs Diablo type set up. Should be a nice compliment to the rest of the yellow & black. I'll actually buy the halogen BD light and convert it to HID later as I did on my 650R. It's a great all around light once converted to HID and has a real nice pattern for both desert and tighter riding. :ride:

• 2 years later...

This has not been updated in a while so I want to know if anyone makes yellow plastic for a WR yet. I have a 06 WR450 and would really like to change it to yellow. I saw one the other day and it was good looking to say the least. He had painted the headlight plastic but it looked fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Damn you Troy. That looks great. I have been holding out getting a new WR because I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will have the new motor in them but if they don't come out in 2012, I will upgrade to the aluminum frame so I can go yellow. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Troy, what seat did you use? is it a WR base with YZ foam/seat cover, or is it all WR?

I'm doing the same to my 04 WR.. using YZ tank and such.. but I'm trying to research the seat issue

(edit.. sweet post 69.. I guess I'm doing it backwards from here on in)